What's new

RT-AC86U Private Internet Access Merlin .OVPN File

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GregW

Occasional Visitor
I have received my new AC86U router. I have flashed it to the latest Merlin revision.
Can someone point me in the right direction to get my Private Internet Access VPN setup and working?
I understand that an .ovpn file can be imported to configure OpenVPN.
I found the ,ovpn text on the PIA website and have copied it to a text file and saved and renamed the file extension .ovpn. I then uploaded the file to the router. The service fails to start.

I'm wondering if the .ovpn file is for the older legacy router, rather than the new AC86U running Merlin

If someone has a working .ovpn setup file, can you possibly post the text? (Less any personal info)

Thanks in advance

Greg

Thank you,
I have done this step:
https://www.privateinternetaccess.c...ters/asuswrt-2/asuswrt-firmware-openvpn-setup

I selected the file for US East and uploaded it to the router.
I entered my PIA user name and pass word and enabled the VPN service.

It started and the client shows that it is running in the VPN status page.

The problem I have now, is even though the VPN is connected , I can't go anywhere on the web.

Do I need to also follow the Server URI and the CA Cert steps?

Thanks for your help

Greg

Update:
I have it working now. It apparently was related to my DNS server entry. I was letting the router automatically connect to Charter Spectrum DNS server. When connected to the PIA VPN, the Charter DNS would not resolve. I could manually type the IP in the address bar and reach the website.

It set the router to use Google's DNS and it works now.

Now if I can figure out how to route part of the traffic through the VPN and have other traffic go straight out I will be set.

Thanks again

Under redirect internet traffic change it to strict
that will bring up the settings for routing rules and you can specify something like

hostip-source to 0.0.0.0 vpn-iface

Under redirect internet traffic change it to strict
that will bring up the settings for routing rules and you can specify something like

Thank you, I'm slowly getting the router up and running.

I've been following this to setup my VPN client also but I'm stuck with the Policy Based Options. In Advanced Settings-Redirect Internet Traffic- I only have drop down option for NO or ALL there is nothing like policy base anywhere that I can find. I'm using v384.5 on AC88U router. Has this update changed this feature?

Thanks

I've been following this to setup my VPN client also but I'm stuck with the Policy Based Options. In Advanced Settings-Redirect Internet Traffic- I only have drop down option for NO or ALL there is nothing like policy base anywhere that I can find. I'm using v384.5 on AC88U router. Has this update changed this feature?

Thanks
Under redirect internet traffic change it to strict for the openvpn client settings

So I go to the VPN Client Area - Advanced Settings - Redirect Internet Traffic - but the drop down only has NO or ALL as options.

So I go to the VPN Client Area - Advanced Settings - Redirect Internet Traffic - but the drop down only has NO or ALL as options.
I know this post is old. But, go clear to the bottom under client tab in advanced. It is the LAST option. Click on it and you will get the options your looking for. At least w latest Merlin as of today. 07/30. 384.6

I found the issue. On a new Client setup i have all the options in the ReDirect Traffic list - No,All,PolicyRules - but when I import the .ovpn file from my VPN provider I loose the options of Policy and only have On or All for the Re-Direct Traffic list. So I guess I'll be looking into editing the .ovpn file to find out what's going on.

Thanks for the help.

The ovpn file has no impact on that setting. However importing any ovpn will first reset that client to factory default values.