What's new

RT-AC87U Open VPN Setup Assistance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Forty Eight

New Around Here
Hi All,

Hope I am not repeating the same thing here, I have been looking around but cannot find a solution.

I have an Asus RT-AC87U router with Merlin's 380.65 firmware. I am trying to setup my VPN more so using OpenVPN but am having some issues. I have asked my VPN provider for assistance and they have responded with the below which I have tried but still cannot get it to work:

1 Download required OpenVPN files from here https://s3.amazonaws.com/ivacy-apps/openvpn-files/OpenVPN-Configs.zip
Access your Router Panel and Click on VPN from Left menu.
2 From VPN Section, Click on VPN Client then click on “Add profile”
3 From new windows, click on OpenVPN and insert the following info:

Description: Ivacy, IvacyUS, IvacyUK etc (Anything you like)
Username: Your email address
Password: Your password
Now Click on Choose file.
4 Navigate to downloaded OpenVPN files and select desired Country.
5 Click on Upload.
6Once upload completes. Select “Import the CA file or edit the .ovpn file manually and click on “Edit”
7 Now go back to downloaded OpenVPN files.

Open CA.crt in Notepad, copy all content and past it under Certificate Authority.
Open WDC.key in Notepad, copy all content and past it under Static Key (Optional) box and click on Save
8 Click on OK.

9 Click on “Activate” to connect OpenVPN.
OpenVPN Connection will establish in few second. Sometimes Asus shows (X) on connect status. Ignore it and go to System log to verify the connection status.

If you see “Initialization Sequence Completed” at the end that means OpenVPN is successfully connected.

When I Apply the settings on the Open VPN client page I get the "Applying" notification but it does not turn on. Also, my VPN provider have asked me to create an OpenVPN profile but I do not have this option in the routers interface, I only get PPTP and L2TP. Am I missing something?

All help is greatly thanked.

You may be making this more difficult than it really is.

I assume you are trying to run an OpenVPN client on your router. If that is the case see if this will work for you.

1. Down load an OpenVPN file from your VPN provider to your desktop.

2. Go into your routers setup under Open VPN clients, client control and import/upload the .ovpn file you saved on your desktop. The router will then automatically load all the required information into the necessary fields.

3. Click the switch that says service state and turn the VPN on.

If you are lucky the ovpn file that you got from your VPN will set the router up automatically. Took me no more than thirty seconds to set up the VPN on the router I am shipping to my son. It is an N66 running the latest version of Merlin. VPN provider is Astrill.

Good luck.

1. Down load an OpenVPN file from your VPN provider to your desktop.
Make sure you download and use the VPN config files for Router or SmartPhone - then no separate certificate setup needed.

You just load the right VPN config and have fun with your VPN connection - as I do! :rolleyes:

Hi,

All seems to be working! I imported the OVPN file but got an error message (attachment 1), once I clicked OK the page refreshed and the information populated, I then clicked on Content Modification of Keys and Certificates and pasted the content of the CA file (attachment 5). Once done I clicked Apply and then Service State which stayed ON (was switching off automatically before). Now the only issue is that I am stuck on connecting (attachment 6), I will get my VPN provider to check this for me but any help with this is appreciated. I have the following on the System Logs:

Feb 13 19:20:12 openvpn[2483]: TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
Feb 13 19:20:12 openvpn[2483]: TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Feb 13 19:20:12 openvpn[2483]: SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, process restarting
Feb 13 19:20:17 openvpn[2483]: WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled. See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.
Feb 13 19:20:17 openvpn[2483]: NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
Feb 13 19:20:17 openvpn[2483]: TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]172.111.150.4:53
Feb 13 19:20:17 openvpn[2483]: UDP link local: (not bound)
Feb 13 19:20:17 openvpn[2483]: UDP link remote: [AF_INET]172.111.150.4:53

Thanks again for all your help:)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 924
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 636
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 781
Hi All!

All is working now, just for anyone else having similar issues, please find the VPN providers (iVacy) instructions below:

Thank you for your response. It seems you are using Asus version 3.0. Please follow below steps to configure Ivacy on Asus Router Version 3.0 :

1 Download required OpenVPN files from here https://s3.amazonaws.com/ivacy-apps/openvpn-files/OpenVPN-Configs.zip
Access your Router Panel and Click on VPN from Left menu.
2 From VPN Section, Click on VPN Client then click on “Add profile”
3 From new windows, click on OpenVPN and insert the following info:

Description: Ivacy, IvacyUS, IvacyUK etc (Anything you like)
Username: Your email address
Password: Your password
Now Click on Choose file.
4 Navigate to downloaded OpenVPN files and select desired Country.
5 Click on Upload.
6Once upload completes. Select “Import the CA file or edit the .ovpn file manually and click on “Edit”
7 Now go back to downloaded OpenVPN files.

Open CA.crt in Notepad, copy all content and past it under Certificate Authority.
Open WDC.key in Notepad, copy all content and past it under Static Key (Optional) box and click on Save
8 Click on OK.

9 Click on “Activate” to connect OpenVPN.
OpenVPN Connection will establish in few second. Sometimes Asus shows (X) on connect status. Ignore it and go to System log to verify the connection status.

If you see “Initialization Sequence Completed” at the end that means OpenVPN is successfully connected.

Awaiting for your response.

Regards,

Ivacy Support Team

Hope this helps, was more trial and error:)

Thanks Again.

Hi!
Last year I got troubles with my VPN provider, and my AC87U router had to be changed. Now I am trying again, but as I am new to this game, I need some advice.

The 380.65 has been installed in my new router, and it work quite well. When I open VPN and OpenVPN Clients, the “TLS: Content modification of keys and Certificates” show no keys.

Will this change when I do install the information from my new VPN provider ?

Regards

Will this change when I do install the information from my new VPN provider ?
...as explained here: go back to the provider and ask for it!