What's new

RT-AC88U:Devices won't talk with each other...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OldJavaNerd

Occasional Visitor
My network is snobbish.

I have no problems getting each device to wirelessly connect to the internet. WiFi is strong in all areas of the house. That's why I love this router.

However, although it all looks good on the outside, no one will communicate with each other. I have many wireless devices and most are connected at 5GHz. We just built a home and I've been trying to implement many "smart" devices. So I have many devices, that I try and operate from another device like my phone or tablet using their respective app. I do not have one specific problem, they all have an issue in this department. Remember they all have stable working internet connections, so it's not a problem connecting to the router.

One of many examples. When I first bought this router about a year ago, I could use Airprint just fine from my phone to printer. Never had a problem. Then many months later when I needed it, it just wouldn't work. I've reset the printer/router and nada. The router says the printer is connected, and the printer can connect just to the internet, but the two on the same network don't even know they are there. I have this problem with the webcams, the doorbell, the thermostat, the TV, home entertainment system, etc.... If there is a function that allows for remote app management it fails more time than it works, and yes, sometimes, I get a successful connection. Just not often.

However, if I am not home, and try and use the remote management apps, it will work just fine. I have port forwarding enabled on my camera, and if I access it that way it works all the time. I can't pull up the doorbell camera at home, but I disconnect from wifi and use cellular, it works! Also wired connections work just fine too. If I try and stream the Xbox to the PC over a wired connection it will work, put the Xbox on wifi and it won't. And yes the NAT is open and there are no conflicts.

I've tried troubleshooting this endlessly and with no success. At the moment these are my settings. I have turned off SmartConnect, and Guest network. If possible, I use 5Ghz and have tried different channels. I have static IPs where I can, and have tried MAC/IP binding by device. Everyone is on the same subnet too. I have NAT and UPnP enabled, and the firmware is up to date.

Thanks for any help

Make sure you don't enable AP isolation on your wireless settings.

Check if Multicast is activated in settings.

LAN -> IPTV: Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) : Enabled
LAN -> IPTV: Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping): Enabled
Wireless -> Professional -> Band 2.4GHz -> Enable IGMP Snooping: Enabled
Wireless -> Professional -> Band 2.4GHz -> Multicast Rate(Mbps): Auto
Wireless -> Professional -> Band 5GHz -> Enable IGMP Snooping: Enabled
Wireless -> Professional -> Band 5GHz -> Multicast Rate(Mbps): Auto

My network is snobbish.

I have no problems getting each device to wirelessly connect to the internet. WiFi is strong in all areas of the house. That's why I love this router.

However, although it all looks good on the outside, no one will communicate with each other. I have many wireless devices and most are connected at 5GHz. We just built a home and I've been trying to implement many "smart" devices. So I have many devices, that I try and operate from another device like my phone or tablet using their respective app. I do not have one specific problem, they all have an issue in this department. Remember they all have stable working internet connections, so it's not a problem connecting to the router.

One of many examples. When I first bought this router about a year ago, I could use Airprint just fine from my phone to printer. Never had a problem. Then many months later when I needed it, it just wouldn't work. I've reset the printer/router and nada. The router says the printer is connected, and the printer can connect just to the internet, but the two on the same network don't even know they are there. I have this problem with the webcams, the doorbell, the thermostat, the TV, home entertainment system, etc.... If there is a function that allows for remote app management it fails more time than it works, and yes, sometimes, I get a successful connection. Just not often.

However, if I am not home, and try and use the remote management apps, it will work just fine. I have port forwarding enabled on my camera, and if I access it that way it works all the time. I can't pull up the doorbell camera at home, but I disconnect from wifi and use cellular, it works! Also wired connections work just fine too. If I try and stream the Xbox to the PC over a wired connection it will work, put the Xbox on wifi and it won't. And yes the NAT is open and there are no conflicts.

I've tried troubleshooting this endlessly and with no success. At the moment these are my settings. I have turned off SmartConnect, and Guest network. If possible, I use 5Ghz and have tried different channels. I have static IPs where I can, and have tried MAC/IP binding by device. Everyone is on the same subnet too. I have NAT and UPnP enabled, and the firmware is up to date.

Thanks for any help

Would it make sense to start at the beginning, build up the network one thing at a time and confirm you can manage each wireless client locally before adding more. And leave any new house cabling out of it. I know this sounds simplistic but it would simplify the troubleshooting for me. Also, swapping in a spare/old router that works may suggest your current router is at fault.

OE

Check if Multicast is activated in settings.

LAN -> IPTV: Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) : Enabled
LAN -> IPTV: Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping): Enabled
Wireless -> Professional -> Band 2.4GHz -> Enable IGMP Snooping: Enabled
Wireless -> Professional -> Band 2.4GHz -> Multicast Rate(Mbps): Auto
Wireless -> Professional -> Band 5GHz -> Enable IGMP Snooping: Enabled
Wireless -> Professional -> Band 5GHz -> Multicast Rate(Mbps): Auto

That.... made a difference. I am connecting successfully to camera 90% of the time. One oddity was that I was able to connect to the camera reliably using 5Ghz, but not 2GHz. The camera can only connect to the 2GHz band. However, a couple of hours later, I am able to connect using the 2Ghz. Airprint is working too, and so are many other devices. The doorbell was working perfectly and then I went through a period where I couldn't, however now I can. I will continue to test it for awhile and see how things go.

Thanks!

Would it make sense to start at the beginning, build up the network one thing at a time and confirm you can manage each wireless client locally before adding more. And leave any new house cabling out of it. I know this sounds simplistic but it would simplify the troubleshooting for me. Also, swapping in a spare/old router that works may suggest your current router is at fault.

OE
Actually I've done this twice now, including factory resets and disabling all local bluetooth devices. I've wanted to try using a replacement router too, but I don't want to buy another, nor do I know anyone with a spare. Initially when this problem started I only used my phone and the nursery cam, because they worked reliably at the old house. However, there was about 3 months between houses where everything was disconnected, but when I started to slowly reconnect things I did a firmware update since it was a few behind. Shortly after that I started noticing the issues. The funny thing is that at the old house I just left the router at default since things worked. When the problems became apparent months later at the new house is when I started learning all the things this beast could do.

Actually I've done this twice now, including factory resets and disabling all local bluetooth devices. I've wanted to try using a replacement router too, but I don't want to buy another, nor do I know anyone with a spare. Initially when this problem started I only used my phone and the nursery cam, because they worked reliably at the old house. However, there was about 3 months between houses where everything was disconnected, but when I started to slowly reconnect things I did a firmware update since it was a few behind. Shortly after that I started noticing the issues. The funny thing is that at the old house I just left the router at default since things worked. When the problems became apparent months later at the new house is when I started learning all the things this beast could do.

The default settings should be sufficient for intranet communication... that's what a network is for.

After the firmware updates, did you perform a factory default reset? Use Initilize in the GUI, if available, to also clear old logged data. And then reconfigure the router from scratch; do not restore a backup configuration.

OE

Sorry for bumping the thread but I have the same problem with my RT-AC88U with firmware 3.0.0.4.384_32799
Some devices can't communicate each other and are not listed/visible in network discovery apps like Advanced IP Scanner. On router page, when i open devices list, I see ALL devices, few seconds they disappear which is now the same result as network discoverying apps. No matter what mode, standard or AP mode, still same problem.
I had wrote a long thread on their ROG forum without getting any help
I contacted ASUS support, they are just very horrible, they won't commenting with my problem and just trying to ask simple question and blame my modem and my ISP.
How do i do now?

Nevermind, i fixed it. Disabling AirTime Fairness on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and all devices can communicate each other