What's new

RT-AX88U maxing out a core and regularly showing 60+ MB/s upload

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you have the "sshd" process running, under normal circumstances that would be the OpenSSH server daemon (i.e. /opt/sbin/sshd) which can be installed via Entware (it's *not* built-in as part of the F/W).

View attachment 61858

View attachment 61859

However, if you have *not* explicitly installed the Entware package yourself, then someone or something else may have installed it, likely for nefarious purposes. I'd suggest you remove the OpenSSH package immediately. It may even be a "compromised" version of the OpenSSH server that has been installed by some malware.

Try the following commands to remove the package (if it exists):
Bash:
{
   opkg list-installed | grep openssh ; echo
   opkg remove --force-removal-of-dependent-packages openssh-server
   opkg list-installed | grep openssh ; echo
}

My 2 cents.
Sorry how do I run this if opkg is not found?

I'm experiencing the same issues again after some hours

I've been thinking of dropping in a dedicated vpn box like the tplink R605 omada or TL-ER7206
If this issue continues may throw this in between the bridge and my asus. (or initially just remove the asus and add the R605 as vpn and dhcp.)

Last edited:
now {sshd} come back on 388.7
1728937547444.png

it's annoying that the router can work well with 0-2% CPU load for a long time, and then these surges

now {sshd} come back on 388.7
View attachment 61937

it's annoying that the router can work well with 0-2% CPU load for a long time, and then these surges
You need to find out what device on your network has been compromised, or this will drive you mad. You have reset the router and set up from scratch with new passwords after firmware changes of course(?).
Do you use a USB drive? This will need formatting too.
An afterthought: Are you using the built-in amtm or installing it from the repository (old, superceded method)?

Last edited:
You need to find out what device on your network has been compromised, or this will drive you mad. You have reset the router and set up from scratch with new passwords after firmware changes of course(?).
Am I right that you think it's not a router issue but the someone of clients? It's my home network and I know each device...
I use mesh(eth) ax86u+ax56u with loading Merlin -> factory reset -> restore config (without change passwords and so on). Also I unplug usb-flash with mnt disk for ftp.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!