What's new

RT-AX88U router randomly dropping connectivity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Any Ideas what else can i do?
May be you have different issue but you can try the following and report:

May be you have different issue but you can try the following and report:
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. I dont think it is an issue with the WAN though.

Problem:

Every few hours (16 - 36 hours), all of a sudden all connected wireless clients drop their connection with the router. Wired connections can't access the internet, but I can access the router GUI. The Router GUI WAN status still says connected and the LED lights indicate its connected as well, but that can't be true. The router log has no obvious errors or WAN down messages, however, I can see multiple wireless clients being denied access due to failed password authentication while this is occurring. From my ISP Modem/Router perspective, its admin page shows that my router is not connected, however, if I plug in a computer directly to the modem, it will obtain an IP and can access the Internet. The only fix is to reboot the router, but this is getting tiresome having to do this every day or so. I have tried other options such as turning off my Internet access (toggle) and back on, but if I do that I get the error saying there is a problem with my ISP's DHCP. However, if I toggle this switch any other time (when things are working), it reconnects just fine.

Current setup:

I currently have a cable model XB7 from my ISP. I have tried it in both bridged and un-bridged mode (yes I know this is a double NAT), but the result is always the same. My main router is an RT-AX88U with an RT-AX58U AIMesh node, with ethernet backhaul. I run a single wifi network with smart connect (default) plus one guest network for my IoT devices. I have standard/default DHCP WAN access setup with ISP provided DNS servers. I have tried "Special Requirements from ISP" options such as MAC Address clone and I have played with my DHCP query frequency (e.g., Aggressive, Normal, etc.), but to no affect. I am also on stock Asus firmware running the latest version (as of Jan 2023 - 3.0.0.4.388_22237-g9120e16). I have also tried a hard reset on a couple of occasions but the problem always returns.

Any thoughts or ideas on how this could be fixed?
I think there is a problem with the router not being able to recover after losing connection to the ISP because of DHCP.
When the lease expires and the ISP sends another ip address, the router fails to take it. I don't know why. It happens in some circumstances, not all the time.
I think a solution is to get a static WAN IP from the ISP.

I think there is a problem with the router not being able to recover after losing connection to the ISP because of DHCP.
When the lease expires and the ISP sends another ip address, the router fails to take it. I don't know why. It happens in some circumstances, not all the time.
I think a solution is to get a static WAN IP from the ISP.
100%.
My AX11000 (I know the thread is AX88U, sorry) has this issue, and that's why it's now an (AiMesh) extender.
I basically reset and cleared everything under the sun, and it's been super-stable as my extender (except a minor issue earlier this year).

Yeah I gave up… went other way with another ”vendor” and haven’t had a single issue since. I loved asus routers but lately they just have had so many issues. Like this and some with dhcp etc. I hope they can fix those issues but not a problem for me anymore.

Hello all,

I recently got myself a RT-AX88U, and i am experiencing the same symptoms.
Even with Merlin 3004.388.8, with hard reset done.
I have paired the RT-AX88U with a ZENWIFI XD6 as a mesh node (eth backhaul)

So far what i have done/tried:
I have disabled 2.4 Ghz: explicit beamforming and universal beamforming and still the issue happens.
Turned on verbose logs "all" and dont see anything unusual in the logs.

I've noticed this behavior usually triggering after 36hrs, and the usual symptoms are:
1) All clients cannot hook up wifi, router logs show deauth for the clients.
2) If i hook up client via LAN to the AX88U, i can access GUI - dont see any high CPU/memory.
3) When in GUI or SSH, i cannot do nslookup.
5) Strangely, my IP CCTV cameras (TAPO/DLINK) are still accessible from the external network. Which means somehow the IP CAMERA still has connectivity in/out the network.

I am at a lost, even considering to downgrade to 386 as there seems to have folks who have stability with the older version.
Any Ideas what else can i do?
An update on this.

I have since disabled "Universal Beamforming" for both 2.4G and 5G and it hs been rock solid since.
The issues that comes up every 72 hrs has been gone.

Router has been up for over 35d, *knock on wood*