What's new

RT-BE88U IPv6 status

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WTOram

New Around Here
Hello,

I have just purchased an RT-BE88U to replace my RT-AX88U (running Asuswrt-Merlin).

However, I have been unable to get IPv6 working correctly. It appears that no WAN side IPv6 address is being configured.

I have seen the post by @RMerlin dated the 15th April May wherein he states that there appears to be a IPv6 forwarding rule to forward from lan to wan missing from the iptables configuration but this (just) predates the latested 3.0.0.6.102_33921 firmware (released on the 19th April) that I have installed.

This latest firmware states in the release notes:"- Fixed IPv6 related Issues."

Has this firmware release truly fixed the IPv6 issues or is it something wrong with my configuration of this potentially great router?

For your information:

I use the router with my UK BT FTTP broadband connection.

The router was configured to use PPPoE over ipv4 and I tried to set the IPv6 connection the same way as I did with the RT-AX88U. I.e.

Connection Type: Native
Interface: PPP
DHCP-PD: Enabled

I don't know whether it makes any difference, but I was using the 2.5Gbps Wan/Lan1 port for the WAN

For the moment, I have gone back to using the RT-AX88U to manage the internet connection and just using the RT-BE88U as an access point to take advantage of the better wired connectivity.

Edit: Got my dates wrong. @RMerlin 's post was from 15th May so post dated the 3.0.0.6.102_33921 release. This being the case, I guess that native ipv6 connections are still not functional.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have just purchased an RT-BE88U to replace my RT-AX88U (running Asuswrt-Merlin).

However, I have been unable to get IPv6 working correctly. It appears that no WAN side IPv6 address is being configured.

I have seen the post by @RMerlin dated the 15th April May wherein he states that there appears to be a IPv6 forwarding rule to forward from lan to wan missing from the iptables configuration but this (just) predates the latested 3.0.0.6.102_33921 firmware (released on the 19th April) that I have installed.

This latest firmware states in the release notes:"- Fixed IPv6 related Issues."

Has this firmware release truly fixed the IPv6 issues or is it something wrong with my configuration of this potentially great router?

For your information:

I use the router with my UK BT FTTP broadband connection.

The router was configured to use PPPoE over ipv4 and I tried to set the IPv6 connection the same way as I did with the RT-AX88U. I.e.

Connection Type: Native
Interface: PPP
DHCP-PD: Enabled

I don't know whether it makes any difference, but I was using the 2.5Gbps Wan/Lan1 port for the WAN

For the moment, I have gone back to using the RT-AX88U to manage the internet connection and just using the RT-BE88U as an access point to take advantage of the better wired connectivity.

Edit: Got my dates wrong. @RMerlin 's post was from 15th May so post dated the 3.0.0.6.102_33921 release. This being the case, I guess that native ipv6 connections are still not functional.
Just to confirm, you do get an Ipv6 allocation with BT's router? What prefix?

My ISP does support IPv6 - albeit with a dynamic IPV6 prefix - which changes every time I sneeze :(

As I said above, I am currently using my RT-AX88U (Latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware) to manage the ISP connection and the RT-BE88U to provide connectivity. This works fine with IPv6 and an IPv6 prefix is issued (in a /56 subnet):

1723966085571.png

I also have a thinkbroadband.com quality monitor working which pings my router throughout the day:

1723966996502.png

A live version can be seen at:

By contrast, with the RT-BE88U managing the ISP connection using essentially the same settings, an IPv6 prefix is issued and all of the IPv6 capable devices on the local network are being issued with a public IPv6 address but, in the IPv6 system log no WAN IPv6 address is displayed and pinging my router on <ipv6prefix>::1 from outside of my home network does not work.

I shall try a hard reset again later on today - but I have to go out shortly so I can't do it now.

Last edited:
I'd try hard/factory resetting the router, then trying to set it up again.

Hello,

I tried the factory reset, went through the initial establishment of the internet connection (PPPoE with BT login details), WiFi SSID and password settings, and router admin login settings.

This, as expected, estblished my internet connection but with no IPv6 enabled.

I subsequently, went to the IPv6 settings and set connection type to 'Native', interface to 'PPP' and DHCP-PD to 'enabled'.

None of my other settings (IPV4 Port forwarding. IPv6 firewall etc were configured - not required at this point in the experiment.

The issue manifested itself as before. All IPv6 enabled devices recieved a public IPv6 address with the correct prefix but No Wan ip address shown in the System Log IPv6 tab and the router could not be pinged from outside of my network.

Once again I have gone back to using the AX88U to manage the Internet connection with the BE88U in access point mode handling the wired and wireless connectivity to my local network. This works for now but is not ideal.

Well this is strange:

Today, I went back to using the RT-BE88U as my only router (RT-AX88U removed and powered off) in order to pursue an ASUS support request.

As part of this I did:

* Another full reset (probably unnecessary)
* Completed the basic internet setup wizard (WiFi SSID/Password,WAN settings - PPPoE, Router admin account name and password)
* IPv6 setup (Connection Type: Native, Interface: PPP, DHCP-PD: Enabled)
* IPv4 DHCP reservations and Port Forwards as required.

As before, IPv6 did not appear to work correctly - same issues and symptoms.

However, I then realised that I had forgotton to unregister my ASUS DDNS account on the old router - so I quickly disconnected the BE88U and reconnected, the AX88U just so that I could unregister it with the ASUS DDNS service. Having done that, I reconnected the BE88U and turned off the AX88U. Note that the BE88U was not powered down during this procedure.

Within a few minutes of doing this, I noticed that IPv6 was now working correctly and I appear to be able to ping devices on my network using IPv6 from outside of my local network (as I would hope) and my ThinkBroadand.com IPv6 broadband quality monitor has started working as it was with the AX88U.

1724250185772.png

The block of 100% packet loss started when I switched to the BE88U (just before 12PM) and I reconnected after retrieving my ASUS DDNS registration from the AX88U at about 1:30PM. Thereafter there are some periods of reported packet loss because, having noticed that IPv6 is now working, I went on to add some IPv6 firewall exceptions which I hadn't bothered to do before and some other settings changes that involved rebooting the router.

Anyway, the connection, including IPv6 connectivity, has now been stable for about 45 minutes so I am happy - although I still don't know *why* it suddenly started working.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!