What's new

RT-N56U and Charter Nightmare

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

confubitated

New Around Here
I purchased an Asus RT-N56U on Ebay to replace my TrendNet N300 running DD-WRT. The Trendnet really was an awesome router, that I've had for over four years now. Running DD-WRT, I never had network disconnects and the wireless signal was sufficient for streaming HD content wirelessly to my raspberry Pi.

The only reason I wanted to upgrade was to dedicate the separate 5 GHz band for my PC serving as a media server. I also wanted to get the wired devices on gigabit.

The N56U has been nothing but a giant headache, and I am now back to using my TrendNet router. I get the same DHCP failure that others have reported from Charter. My Modem is a Motorola Surfboard 6121.

I have seen Merlin suggest on various threads to switch the DHCP from Aggressive to Normal, but in my case this doesn't solve the problem. I basically get terrible performance throughout the day (2 MB/s speed test results on a 30MB connection). On my trendnet router I exceed 30 MB/s often and am usually in the high 20's. So with the Asus I get super slow performance, and each morning when I wake up the WAN link is down and I have to power off the modem for 5 minutes, and then boot it and then power up the router to establish a connection.

These problems have been documented extensively...but my question is has anyone truly found a solution? I have seen various people complaining...and Asus/Merlin implemented the DHCP frequency change, but in my case and others this has not solved the problem.

Is the conclusion that Charter customers should steer away from Asus routers? They seem to be really losing out on a potential market by ignoring these problems. I am frustrated because I either have to sell the router and purchase another, or continue slamming my head against the wall trying to find a solution. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm near the point of giving up.

I have the same setup as you but I don't have the same issues.

My RT-N56U is running an older firmware (3.0.0.4.342) and I'm not willing to try to verify if newer versions induce the issue.

My 6121 reports the following:

Model Name: SB6121
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Hardware Version: 5.0
Firmware Build Time: Apr 17 2012 15:09:37

Here's a speed test I just performed:
2516790577.png

I have the same setup as you but I don't have the same issues.

My RT-N56U is running an older firmware (3.0.0.4.342) and I'm not willing to try to verify if newer versions induce the issue.

My 6121 reports the following:

Model Name: SB6121
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Hardware Version: 5.0
Firmware Build Time: Apr 17 2012 15:09:37

Here's a speed test I just performed:
2516790577.png

That is very interesting. Would you happen to still have the firmware saved somewhere? Asus' site only goes back to version 3.0.0.4.374.130, before then jumping down to the very early firmware versions. Hopefully I will have some progress with 3.0.0.4.374.130, as this seems very promising. I would really like to keep the router, as the features are very nice and it is much more aesthetically pleasing than the hunk of plastic TrendNet.

That is very interesting. Would you happen to still have the firmware saved somewhere? Asus' site only goes back to version 3.0.0.4.374.130, before then jumping down to the very early firmware versions. Hopefully I will have some progress with 3.0.0.4.374.130, as this seems very promising. I would really like to keep the router, as the features are very nice and it is much more aesthetically pleasing than the hunk of plastic TrendNet.

I looked around but I don't seem to have that firmware version laying around anywhere. This older firmware does not have the WAN DHCP normal/aggressive option and I have noticed that the once or twice a year that Charter has a real outage, I do seem to have a bit of trouble getting re-connected but nothing a few reboots/timeouts doesn't resolve over 15 minutes time.

I looked around but I don't seem to have that firmware version laying around anywhere. This older firmware does not have the WAN DHCP normal/aggressive option and I have noticed that the once or twice a year that Charter has a real outage, I do seem to have a bit of trouble getting re-connected but nothing a few reboots/timeouts doesn't resolve over 15 minutes time.

I appreciate you looking for me. This is at least encouraging news, as all hope is not lost. I am hoping I can somehow locate an earlier firmware version and see where that lands me. Padavan's might yield some results if I just flash backwards until I find something that works.

My current setup:

Modem: Motorola SB6121
Router: ASUS RT-N56U
Wired Access Point: Second ASUS RT-N56U

I'm also a Charter customer. I had issues right from the start using the factory firmware on the two ASUS RT-N56U devices. After a month of nothing but issues I got brave a flashed Padavan's custom firmware. Not only did I have a stable network but improved wireless strength on both bands. Take it from me, flash Padavan's custom firmware and be done with it. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. :)

If you're still interested, here's the .342 firmware, with a file that has the md5 checksum of the downloaded firmware:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45839665/RT-N56U_3.0.0.4_342.trx
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45839665/RT-N56U_3.0.0.4_342.md5

My current setup:

Modem: Motorola SB6121
Router: ASUS RT-N56U
Wired Access Point: Second ASUS RT-N56U

I'm also a Charter customer. I had issues right from the start using the factory firmware on the two ASUS RT-N56U devices. After a month of nothing but issues I got brave a flashed Padavan's custom firmware. Not only did I have a stable network but improved wireless strength on both bands. Take it from me, flash Padavan's custom firmware and be done with it. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. :)

I actually flashed Padavan's firmware after I experienced troubles with the official Asus firmware. I still experienced the same problems...so I'm not sure what my problem is. I've tried various cables, as Merlin has mentioned that in many threads, and firmware versions, be it Padavan's or the official. Is there potentially an older version of Padavan's that I should try?

Thank you for the link RogerSC, I will give that a try when I get home today. Very much appreciated.