What's new

RT-N56U connected to existing network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oceano

New Around Here
I ordered an Asus RT-N56U and I'm hoping it can do what I need. Here's my setup: I have an ATT Uverse gateway that supplies my wifi currently. I have 2 desktop machines beyond the possibility of running cable to from the Uverse gateway, and they don't have wireless NICs (don't want them to either). So I'm hoping I can get the wifi to run through the N56U wirelessly and then connect cat6 to the desktops.

Possible?

Thanks!

Ok, to add to the question....

Using the dual band capabilities, can I use one band as a bridge, and the other as a wifi network of its own to feed the wireless devices in my house (in addition to the original network provided by my ATT modem/router/wifi combo?)

Well I tried bridge mode with Padavan's most recent firmware. My ATT router is a Pace 4111N. It would link up, but apparently kept rebooting the ATT router periodically. I matched up the channel, SSID, password, WPA2-AES security on both. I put the DHCP range of both routers away from each other, and assigned the ASUS an IP that was free. Also had DHCP disabled on the ASUS.

Maybe it isn't going to work in wireless bridge mode. I may have to run cable after all.

Well I tried bridge mode with Padavan's most recent firmware. My ATT router is a Pace 4111N. It would link up, but apparently kept rebooting the ATT router periodically. I matched up the channel, SSID, password, WPA2-AES security on both. I put the DHCP range of both routers away from each other, and assigned the ASUS an IP that was free. Also had DHCP disabled on the ASUS.

Maybe it isn't going to work in wireless bridge mode. I may have to run cable after all.

It should work fine. i had the same setup for 5 GHz media. Turn DHCP off on the client bridge. The main router handles it. Same SSID, channel, security type and password on client as main router.Give the asus a fixed ip address. I'm doing this from memory ... make sure you select the right option for the bridge on padavan's software. There are two options that appear to be similar and only one works. Your ATT router should not know or care about the bridge except that it will handle gateway and DHCP duties along with normal router functions. The client bridge is basically an invisible wire to an invisible switchport.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The two options in Padavan's firmware, I think I know what you're talking about. One is "LAN bridge" or something similar, and the other escapes me at the moment. Is that it?

Tried for a long time, but can't seem to get the wireless bridge to work well. I ran a temporary cable to try out the access point mode via LAN to WAN hookup. Worked great.

So I permanently ran a CAT6 from the ATT router to the ASUS. I figured its a waste of router features to just be using access point mode, so I set it up on its own subnet (works well, but I'll have other questions regarding that in another post).