What's new

RT-N56U: OpenVPN Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stigs007

Occasional Visitor
I'd like to configure my router to use OpenVPN, and I currently have the latest ASUS firmware on it but it seems my only option for VPN is PPTP, which I'd like to go with something a little more secure. Is this model capable of doing OpenVPN? Do I need Merlin or DD-WRT?

I'd like to configure my router to use OpenVPN, and I currently have the latest ASUS firmware on it but it seems my only option for VPN is PPTP, which I'd like to go with something a little more secure. Is this model capable of doing OpenVPN? Do I need Merlin or DD-WRT?

I don't think RT-N56U is supported by neither Merlin or DD-WRT.

You could try Padavan though, it might be able to do what you want.

I just saw something that it wasn't supported by Tomato, but that stinks on Merlin and DD-WRT as well. I didn't realize this router was so limited when I purchased it.

It is not supported by RMerlin because it is based on a different chipset and cpu.

With the Padavan firmware though; it makes a great media bridge.