What's new

RT-N66U firmware 3.0.0.4.374.720 released

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

"Firmware gets updated, sometimes old drivers don't work when newer ones do, and vice versa."

So?

Asus puts out a firmware that loses compatibility with existing drivers and its the driver's fault?

Your logic escapes me.

If Asus had a pattern of reliability with the 5 ghz channel part of this code fine, I'd consider the firmware the stable aspect and my driver the variable that needs to be addressed.

Is that the case? Asus has been rock solid with the 5 ghz piece?

Why no, it isn't.

... Fault is a little irrelevant here, smart butt. The only one who cares that your router/network is malfunctioning, is you.

The fact of the matter is that sometimes certain router firmwares don't work well with certain NIC drivers. I assure you, ASUS doesn't give a damn whether or not the specific driver you want to cling to works with the router or not, so the burden is on you to try other drivers if you want a functioning network. If NONE of the drivers work, then it's ASUS' problem.

Until you're actually willing to try to fix the problem (which includes trying other drivers) then the problem is yours to deal with.

And actually yes, some of the older drivers were solid on the 5GHz frequency.

But anywho, it's your problem. No worries, I won't bother trying to help you again.

Just to let everyone know this 3.0.0.4.374.720 build works well on my RT-N66U and the following 5 GHz clients:
  1. Ralink RT3592.
  2. Intel Centrino 6205.
No connection issues, no speed issues.
Signal strenght on 2.4 GHz is maybe a little less compared with the 270 build, but wireless speed is better, even simply the best the clients can handle at the most remote remote location in our house.
This is an enhancement for me over the 270 build and the newer "trouble" builds.
Results are comparable with Merlins Pixie Dust build and the Asus beta build with SDK6.

[EDIT] Next step for Asus shall be to add an IPv6 firewall (suggestion: copy Merlins). After the IPv6 firewall, add Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) for 5 GHz. Then we finally have a serious router.

Last edited:
Is it just me that is having Airplay issues? Worked great before updating.
Have checked igmp snooping etc but its a no go stream wont even start.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, there are two new options in the wireless section for both bands. Can we read somewhere what the options does?

These two additional tweaks do not show on webUI up after having upgraded my RT-N66. Perhaps one could be so kind and tell me the nvram setting for enabling one/both via cmd line?
Thank you.

Yes, I know, but they are not displayed, although nvram cleared. But I could otherwise test myself, if someone could do a nvram diff:)

Is it just me that is having Airplay issues? Worked great before updating.
Have checked igmp snooping etc but its a no go stream wont even start.

Any ideas?

I will check later today and post results.

What are your airplay devices and how do they connect to the network?

Are you seeing them in the list of connect clients in the main display where the clients are listed on the right? http://192.168.1.1/index.asp (and click on clients)

There are lots of utilities, iOS, Win, OSX, etc to peer around the Bonjour layer of your network and see what devices are on there that can do AirPlay, even if they are kind of misconfigured or unseen elsewhere on the network. I like Bonjour Browser (free) on OSX.

Like here I can see my only AirPlay capable destination device on the network right now is one AppleTV.

YXM9DGm.jpg

I'll update later post upgrade f/w.

Yes, I know, but they are not displayed, although nvram cleared. But I could otherwise test myself, if someone could do a nvram diff:)

You probably just need to use another browser for the options to show or clear the cache. What's the browser that doesn't work?

You probably just need to use another browser for the options to show or clear the cache. What's the browser that doesn't work?
IE10 and Safari.
Are these two tweaks really available through SDK6 on RT-N66u or are they only related to the ACxx units?

I use IE10 and the option is there.
Are these two tweaks really available through SDK6 on RT-N66u or are they only related to the ACxx units?
I would think asus will not put the options there if it's not active for RT-N66U. My test for my environment isn't good with those options enabled. Download speed was substantially reduced compared to them disabled. If you test the options make sure to reboot the router to take effect.

Last edited:
With only a few hours under my belt with this firmware (up from Merlin 374.32), no problems yet.
  • Both 2.4 & 5 GHz connections to Android devices are stable.
  • Signal strength is about the same as before for both bands (around -65 dBm for each, opposite side of house from router).
  • Using the Android Speedtest app, 5 GHz speed is about the same as for prior firmware, topping out at close to my Comcast speed of over 70 Mbps.
  • 2.4 GHz speed easily doubled to about 36 Mbps from prior firmware (and connection was freezing previously).
  • Speedtest for wired connections shows maximum WAN speed that I've ever gotten.
I still need to explore the rest of the functions. If there aren't any significant bugs, I'll be happy until I can get the first Merlin version that incorporates all of this one.

IE10 and Safari.

Those settings should apply to all SDK6-based routers based on what I see in the webui code.

Code:
        if(new_sdk && !Rawifi_support){         // for BRCM new SDK 6.x
                inputCtrl(document.form.wl_ampdu_mpdu, 1);
                inputCtrl(document.form.wl_ack_ratio, 1);
        }else{
                inputCtrl(document.form.wl_ampdu_mpdu, 0);
                inputCtrl(document.form.wl_ack_ratio, 0);
        }

Hi, with my Edimax EW-7733UnD (Ralink-driver 5.1.5.0, Windows 8) I get only a 216 Mbps-connection).

Back to Asus 3.0.0.4.276 I get again a stable 450 Mbps-connection.

:(

Greetings
Nice

Hi, with my Edimax EW-7733UnD (Ralink-driver 5.1.5.0, Windows 8) I get only a 216 Mbps-connection).

Back to Asus 3.0.0.4.276 I get again a stable 450 Mbps-connection.

Did you try setting channel width to 40 Mhz and re-creating your wireless profile? What you describe sound like your client is only connecting using 20 MHz channel width.

Also, try a different channel. Sometimes, using a "border" channel causes problems for some devices you are unable to properly connect to the second channel.

Web UI got borked

I am glad to hear that the wireless issues have been fixed with this release.

I loaded it and performed the hard reset and reconfigured per the directions.

A few hours later one of my laptops' backup programs which automatically backs up to a hard drive attached to the router errored out before completeing the backup. When I attempted to access the drive attached to the router I got an OS error message indicating the drive was not accessable. When I attempted to log in to the router I could not access it's web ui. After power cycling the router I was able to access it's web ui again.

At this point I reverted back to old trustworthy v3.0.0.4.276. I don't think that I have ever read about this router's interface getting borked with any previous firmware versions, but it happened to me and that news ain't good...

I will check later today and post results.

What are your airplay devices and how do they connect to the network?

Are you seeing them in the list of connect clients in the main display where the clients are listed on the right? http://192.168.1.1/index.asp (and click on clients)

There are lots of utilities, iOS, Win, OSX, etc to peer around the Bonjour layer of your network and see what devices are on there that can do AirPlay, even if they are kind of misconfigured or unseen elsewhere on the network. I like Bonjour Browser (free) on OSX.

Like here I can see my only AirPlay capable destination device on the network right now is one AppleTV.

YXM9DGm.jpg

I'll update later post upgrade f/w.

I can see my device asrock ion 330 running openelec 3.1.7 it wants to start the stream but fails constantly. Before i uppgraded the firmware it was working ok.
Bonjour service in xbmc is running (zeroconf).

I have configured the router in the same way as i did on the old fw.
And i have tried with igmp on and of and checked with both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

But now it wont start the stream and according to logs in xbmc the stream times out (the error message indicates this).

Its like the bonjour service is being blocked somehow.

Ipad 2 running ios 6.1.2

Did you try setting channel width to 40 Mhz and re-creating your wireless profile? What you describe sound like your client is only connecting using 20 MHz channel width.

Also, try a different channel. Sometimes, using a "border" channel causes problems for some devices you are unable to properly connect to the second channel.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Some minutes ago I made a factory reset. Now it works with 450 MBit :)

Greetings
Nice

After upgrading to 3.0.0.4.374.720 i noticed that signal strenght for 2.4GHz is about 10-12dB weaker than before. I am not sure about 5GHz but it seems to be unchanged.

I made some tests and what i can tell you is that tx power setting for 2.4GHz (haven't checked 5Ghz) is totally broken. There is no difference in signal strength between 1mW power setting or 100mW at all. After moving back to Merlin 33-beta1 i checked power setting again and both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz work just fine.

This makes 3.0.0.4.374.720 totally useless for me :(

After upgrading to 3.0.0.4.374.720 i noticed that signal strenght for 2.4GHz is about 10-12dB weaker than before. I am not sure about 5GHz but it seems to be unchanged.

I made some tests and what i can tell you is that tx power setting for 2.4GHz (haven't checked 5Ghz) is totally broken. There is no difference in signal strength between 1mW power setting or 100mW at all. After moving back to Merlin 33-beta1 i checked power setting again and both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz work just fine.

This makes 3.0.0.4.374.720 totally useless for me :(

I wonder if this has anything to do with the law suit by Netgear and now Asus has lowered the radio power to comply with Fcc law. This is somthing i feared might happen. Ofcourse nobody can be sure.