What's new

RT-N66U, Merlin 380.58_0, parental controls not fully working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

n2ubp

Occasional Visitor
I shut the Internet off for my kids at dinner time and at bed time. Their wifi IP addresses are manually assigned using the router DHCP menu. When dinner time comes around the network list shows their IP addresses flagged as not having Internet access (red circle with a white dash) but in reality they are still on line chatting with their friends. The only way to fix this temporarily is to reboot the router. Then it works as expected. What am I doing incorrectly? Thanks, Steve, 73 de N2UBP

Try disabling NAT acceleration on the router, otherwise the bypass done by CTF allows already established connections to stay connected.

Try disabling NAT acceleration on the router, otherwise the bypass done by CTF allows already established connections to stay connected.

Thanks, I disabled NAT acceleration and will monitor the situation this evening. One unexpected immediate result was an unexpected increase in transfer speed when copying a 8gb file between two computers using a 1gb wired ethernet connection. Interesting.

Also N66U, the only issue I see with disabling NAT acceleration, is the reduction in my download speed from my max 208 Mbps to 140 Mbps. One of my kids said last night the Internets being funny, I said its because I turned your internet off, he said well its still working!! hehe.
Its obviously the existing connections still being up, would be handy to force connections to said ip/mac to quit in time with the parental control.

Also N66U, the only issue I see with disabling NAT acceleration, is the reduction in my download speed from my max 208 Mbps to 140 Mbps..

The VDSL connection from my bridged Actiontec router is only 24/1 mbps, so shouldn't be an issue for me! Thanks. - Steve

I'm thinking to have functional parental control (disabled nat acceleration) and my top speed, I could take my cable modem out of modem mode and link my main pc direct to it along with my n66u, have the rest of the house fed from my n66u and my pc direct from the virgin media superhub2, put the n66u on dmz from the modem/router.

I now have an ac68u and I have a bit of a dilemma, without nat acceleration my parental controls work great but get bufferbloat, with nat acceleration enabled its great but connections don't get blocked when the time kicks in as the connections are existing.

Would be great if I can force one ip/mac to be restarted at certain time forcing connections to be re-established with a cronjob? or do the same for a lan port? Probably wishful thinking.....

I now have an ac68u and I have a bit of a dilemma, without nat acceleration my parental controls work great but get bufferbloat, with nat acceleration enabled its great but connections don't get blocked when the time kicks in as the connections are existing.

Would be great if I can force one ip/mac to be restarted at certain time forcing connections to be re-established with a cronjob? or do the same for a lan port? Probably wishful thinking.....

Just returned to Merlins build from tomato having forgotten about the above issue which was fine on tomato. Im sure I had seen a script on the forums recently (tried searching but cant see anything) that helped disconnect certain devices at set times (with nat acceleration enabled) to work along with parental control...