What's new

RT-N66U + Motorola SURFboard + Charter Communications = fail

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr20

New Around Here
I purchased an ASUS RT-N66U on 6/29/2013. It arrived and I installed it about one week later. The cable modem the router is connected to is a Motorola SURFboard SB6121, and my Internet service provider is Charter Communications.

The router worked well from the time it was installed (around the first week of July), until about the end of the first week of August, with the only issue during the time it was operational being that I occasionally had to fill in Google and Bing CAPTCHAs, something I attributed to one of the dynamic IP addresses that my ISP had provided me.

One day the router suddenly lost Internet connectivity. There was no obvious trigger for this, prior to this incident it was working reliably, but thereafter it failed to establish an Internet connection. My wireless local network provided by the router was still available (I could still print wirelessly, access other computers on the network, etc), but there was no Internet connection.

The message I got when trying to access the Internet read, "You failed to access to the web page that you want to view. Reason for failed connection: Unable to connect to the Internet. Please double-check your account data with your ISP or contact ASUS Support Hotline for technical inquiries and support. We suggest you: If there diagnosis can not solve your problem, please Go to Setting page of the RT-N66U and you can check and config your setting by yourself."

The router's out-of-the-box firmware was 3.0.0.4.260, but I updated the firmware to 3.0.0.4.374_257 in an attempt to fix the problem. This did not fix the problem, and after updating the firmware, the "Reason for failed connection" field would be left blank (i.e. there was no explanation provided) upon not being able to connect to the Internet.

I re-ran the router's Quick Internet Setup Wizard on several occasions in an attempt to fix the problem, but this did not help. I checked the Cat 5e Ethernet cable that connects the router to the modem, to make sure that the Ethernet cable is working properly, and the Ethernet cable is working fine. Using the router's reset button, I reset the router's settings to their factory defaults on several occasions in another attempt to fix the problem, but it did not resolve the issue; I also reset my cable modem's settings to see if that would resolve the issue, but it did not.

I can access the Internet if I connect my cable modem directly to a computer via an Ethernet cable. If I connect a computer directly to the cable modem, the Internet connectivity is not lost; it stays connected reliably. But if I connected the router to the cable modem, the router was not able to establish an Internet connection. The LED lights on both the router and the cable modem suggested that there shouldn't be an issue.

The only way I had been able to restore the router's Internet connectivity was to power off both the router and the cable modem the router is connected to. Once I turned these back on, the Internet connection was usually restored to the router, however, that connection would then be lost within a few minutes to a few hours. The Internet connection was not intermittent; once it was lost, it didn't come back without going through the process of powering off both the router and cable modem.

I finally cleared the router's NVRAM and did another reset, and then changed the "DHCP query frequency" setting from "aggressive" to "normal". This allowed me to connect to the Internet slightly more frequently than before; however, the router still loses its Internet connection multiple times a day, the only difference being that now sometimes the router is able to reestablish a connection without my involvement (i.e. without me having to restart the modem and the router), or sometimes I can get it to reestablish a connection to the Internet by rebooting the router from the router's settings page (an approach that had not been successful previously).

The router's General Log is full of "WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly", "WAN Connection: WAN was restored", "WAN Connection: Ethernet link down", and "WAN Connection: Ethernet link up" messages (and this is after having adjusted the DHCP query frequency).

I do not believe this is a hardware issue, I believe it has something to do with the unholy trinity formed by combining Charter Communications, SURFboard modems, and ASUS routers (more explicitly, the routers' firmware/settings). Talking with Charter Communications' so-called tech support was fruitless, and I was told "well, routers do that" (i.e. lose Internet connectivity on a regular basis) and then I was told to consult a web page online (at a time when I had no Internet connectivity), which proved to contain only the most ultra-basic of information anyway. Unfortunately, in my area Charter has no real competition, so I am pretty much stuck with it for Internet service.

I've never experienced this connection issue with my previous (non-ASUS) routers, one of which I had used with my current SURFboard SB6121 modem, and which had no connectivity issues; unfortunately, I no longer have that router. I'm currently consulting with ASUS representatives about the situation, but if they ask me to RMA the unit, I think I will instead see if Newegg.com will at least allow me to swap out the router for a different brand/model, though I'd infinitely prefer not to have to swap out my ASUS RT-N66U for another router if there is a way to fix this issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the issue (I in fact lost Internet connectivity while trying to post this message for the first time, fortunately a router reboot has solved the problem temporarily), or should I just get another router? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
RT-N66U + Motorola 6121 + Charter = awesome. I have helped set up networks for friends, family and a home office business that use Charter internet. I have seen that exact setup work perfectly solid for over a year. The only time it goes down is when A) There is a power outage or B) There are cable line quality problems C) When Charter goes down for servicing, repairs or upgrades.

1) Contact Charter support to see if they are servicing your internet in your area. Charter has a tendency to upgrade and repair their local node equipment frequently.

2) Have Charter support do a live connection test to make sure there is a quality signal to the SB6121 modem. If signal isn't up to par or even if they determine the signal is good they can send a tech out to your site to make sure the physical cable connection and signal strength is ok on site.

3) Check your Asus router settings under Advanced Settings > WAN > Special Requirement from ISP > Mac Clone .... Make sure this is left blank. If there is MAC address in the space then clear it out then click "Apply". When MAC cloning is enabled in the RT-N66U settings I have seen this cause sync issues and IP lease conflicts with Charter's DHCP servers in the past.

Last edited:
Charter requires you to set the DHCP to "Normal". That option was specifically implemented because of them, as their DHCP server would blacklist your MAC if you sent too many DHCP queries within a short period of time. What often happened was, when the modem rebooted, only one channel was working, through which the router sent DHCP queries, and never got the reply back. After a few queries Charter would blacklist your MAC until you kept the router or modem off for about 5 mins.

Also if you see Ethernet Link down entries in your log it means that either the modem just rebooted, or that there is a problem with the cable between the modem and the router.

@SoCalReviews
I've tried #3 to no avail, as well as having tried with MAC cloning. I've noticed that when connected to the router, for the CPE MAC address, my cable modem has at times listed the MAC address of the laptop originally used to set up the modem, as well as at times listing the MAC address of the router (which is what it shows right now). As far as the router, I noticed yesterday evening that the MAC address of another laptop (the only wireless device that was powered on at that time) had been cloned at some point during the evening, this being a laptop that was not used in the setup of either device. Having checked earlier in the day due to the Internet connection being down, I know that laptop's MAC address had not been cloned earlier that day. I know that incident would be easy to file under the category of operator error, but I swear I did not black out and accidentally hit "MAC Clone".

I'll call Charter back again and ask about 1 & 2 (particularly 2); hopefully I won't get the usual runaround.

Thanks for the feedback.

PS As regards case A (power outage), what is the typical fix (is it in any way different from what I've already tried)? I don't believe there was a power outage (no other appliances seem affected), but I'm willing to try anything.

With regard to case B, I know there are line quality problems with regard to my HD television channels [which numerous technicians, infrastructure replacements (lines and connectors), etc, haven't sorted out over the years], but I haven't seen similar degradation with regard to Internet, with different combinations of modems and routers over the years.

[While editing this message, the Internet connection dropped out again- and that occured with the Advanced Settings > WAN > Internet Connection > Special Requirement from ISP > MAC Address field being blank.]

@RMerlin
I just verified that my router's DHCP query frequency is still set to "Normal Mode". Could "Normal Mode" perhaps still be too aggressive for Charter?

Last edited:
When you reset the Asus router to factory defaults, do you reconfigure it from scratch? Or are you restoring your old backed up settings?

@jlake
From scratch.

Perhaps the unit is overheating. I really doubt it, but I'm grasping at straws at this point.

[Edit: Since the time of my second post, the Internet connection dropped out again, but this time it came back within a couple of minutes without me having to reboot the router.]

Last edited:
I just want to add that I have the same exact problems as the OP. It has gone from working reliably for the first two months I bought it. To in the last two weeks dropping multiple times a day. To now, no connection at all. Not even a modem reset will bring back the internet.

Could it be that charter black listed my Mac address? I have even setset dhcp to normal. With all the resets (multiple) times a day they could have.

I found my Ethernet Cat 6a cable from modem to wan port was lose. Fixed that. But now no connection at all. Lights on the modern don't blink as they should. I know it is not the modem since it too is new.

Really frustrating having to reset multiple times a day to now nothing works. I have never had this problem with previous routers. Linksys WRTG54GS, Belkin preN, DIR655, Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH.

Could it be that charter black listed my Mac address? I have even setset dhcp to normal. With all the resets (multiple) times a day they could have.

No, their blacklisting occurs when sending more than a few packets within a minute (I forgot the exact rate). A route reboot itself would take 1-2 minute, so you'd be safe.

Pay attention to your System Log. If you see the Ethernet Link Down error message just before the connection dropped, then it is most likely a modem or cable issue.

I found my Ethernet Cat 6a cable from modem to wan port was lose. Fixed that. But now no connection at all. Lights on the modern don't blink as they should. I know it is not the modem since it too is new.

If the lights aren't lit as they should be on the modem then it's highly unlikely to be a router issue. Might be time to have the ISP take a look at your connection.

Last edited:
@RMerlin
I just verified that my router's DHCP query frequency is still set to "Normal Mode". Could "Normal Mode" perhaps still be too aggressive for Charter?

Only if Charter has changed their limits to be even more paranoid than before. The values used by Asus are actually those I computed based on info posted by a Charter user concerning how many DHCP queries they allowed within what timespan. I remember at the time I implemented it I had a Charter user actually testing it, and confirming he was no longer getting blacklisted when rebooting his modem.

[Edit: Since the time of my second post, the Internet connection dropped out again, but this time it came back within a couple of minutes without me having to reboot the router.]

Pretty sure at this point this is a modem issue to be honest. If you recheck the router's uptime that will confirm if it's the router that rebooted or the modem.

Pretty sure at this point this is a modem issue to be honest. If you recheck the router's uptime that will confirm if it's the router that rebooted or the modem.
At 1:39 a.m. CDT, 8/22/13-
modem: System Up Time - 0 days 4h:51m:52s
router: Uptime - 0 days 6 hours 3 minutes 8 seconds

The other weird thing is that while my modem has the correct current time and date, there are entries in the log with the date Jan 01 1970.

Charter has had finicky DHCP server issues for years. My neighbor uses Charter residential service and two years ago suddenly was having frequent disconnects and then his internet connection finally completely quit working. He said that Charter support indicated the problem was that his Linksys WRT-54G2 was a model that had been permanently blacklisted and that he would have to change to a different newer model of router because there was nothing they could do. I actually found a work around fix for this Charter related problem in another online forum. In this case I enabled MAC cloning for WAN (using a completely different MAC from a Netgear router) and that exact same Linksys router has worked practically flawless ever since.

The best thing to do with the Asus routers is to not use MAC cloning and follow procedure to give the Charter DHCP server time to reset when it renews the IP address. Try this.... Power off the cable modem and the Asus router. Unplug the Ethernet cable between the cable modem and Asus router. Unplug all LAN Ethernet cables from the Asus router. Disconnect the physical coax cable from the Charter modem to make absolutely sure no equipment is detected. Wait at least 10-15 minutes (it can take as little as 5 minutes but 10-15 min to make sure) which should give the Charter DHCP server to detect no equipment connected and so it resets it's device connection information.

After 10-15 minutes reconnect the coax cable to the modem and plug the Ethernet back into the Asus router from the cable modem. Turn the cable modem back on and wait up to 5 minutes for it to establish a connection. Turn the Asus router back on and wait 2-5 minutes. Plug the Ethernet to your devices back into the Asus LAN ports and turn those devices on.... computers, etc... Wait 2-5 minutes. Log in and access the Asus router settings Network Map page and make sure Internet Status shows that the router is connected with a Charter WAN IP address. Use the internet connection and make sure all your connected devices are working properly and are able to access the internet.

Note that the above procedures are done to try to reset the information on Charter's DHCP server. Future power cycling of the router and modem should establish the connection faster without having to go through all of these steps. These basic instructions were recommended by a Charter support tech when I was helping debug connection issues with Charter and it seemed to finally solve the connection problems involving the Charter DHCP server. This isn't a specific Asus router problem with Charter. I have seen similar issues happen with other brands of routers and different brands of Charter supplied modems connecting to Charter internet service.

Last edited:
At 1:39 a.m. CDT, 8/22/13-
modem: System Up Time - 0 days 4h:51m:52s
router: Uptime - 0 days 6 hours 3 minutes 8 seconds

The other weird thing is that while my modem has the correct current time and date, there are entries in the log with the date Jan 01 1970.

Under the Asus router settings for Administration > Miscellaneous > Time Zone .... Make sure your Time Zone.... date, time, daylight savings settings (DST start time and DST end time) and NTP server settings are correct for your region.... then Apply those correct settings. www.ntp.org

Last edited:
The best thing to do with the Asus routers is to not use MAC cloning and follow procedure to give the Charter DHCP server time to reset when it renews the IP address. Try this.... Power off the cable modem and the Asus router. Unplug the Ethernet cable between the cable modem and Asus router. Unplug all LAN Ethernet cables from the Asus router. Disconnect the physical coax cable from the Charter modem to make absolutely sure no equipment is detected. Wait at least 10-15 minutes (it can take as little as 5 minutes but 10-15 min to make sure) which should give the Charter DHCP server to detect no equipment connected and so it resets it's device connection information.

After 10-15 minutes reconnect the coax cable to the modem and plug the Ethernet back into the Asus router from the cable modem. Turn the cable modem back on and wait up to 5 minutes for it to establish a connection. Turn the Asus router back on and wait 2-5 minutes. Plug the Ethernet to your devices back into the Asus LAN ports and turn those devices on.... computers, etc... Wait 2-5 minutes. Log in and access the Asus router settings Network Map page and make sure Internet Status shows that the router is connected with a Charter WAN IP address. Use the internet connection and make sure all your connected devices are working properly and are able to access the internet.
I've unplugged the modem and the router at length previously, as well as having disconnnected the coax, but I will try the above procedure exactly as you've laid it out.

Thanks to everyone who has helped out; I've really not had good experiences with Charter's support in the past, and it only seems to be getting more superficial and less substantive, despite their PR push over the last couple of years.

Under the Asus router settings for Administration > Miscellaneous > Time Zone .... Make sure your Time Zone.... date, time, daylight savings settings (DST start time and DST end time) and NTP server settings are correct for your region.... then Apply those correct settings. www.ntp.org
Yeah, it's all correct. The modem however is slighly off on the time (it has the correct date though). And some of the modem's log entries are dated correctly, and some are dated Jan 01 1970 (the 2013 entries and 1970 entries are interspersed).

At 7:27 p.m. CDT, 8/22/13-
modem: System Up Time - 0 days 9h:49m:33s
router: Uptime - 0days 23hours 51minutes 3seconds

Charter requires you to set the DHCP to "Normal". That option was specifically implemented because of them, as their DHCP server would blacklist your MAC if you sent too many DHCP queries within a short period of time. What often happened was, when the modem rebooted, only one channel was working, through which the router sent DHCP queries, and never got the reply back. After a few queries Charter would blacklist your MAC until you kept the router or modem off for about 5 mins.

Also if you see Ethernet Link down entries in your log it means that either the modem just rebooted, or that there is a problem with the cable between the modem and the router.

This is probably a dumb question, but where do I set DHCP to "Normal"??? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the ASUS software.

Thanks in advance.

This is probably a dumb question, but where do I set DHCP to "Normal"??? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the ASUS software.

Thanks in advance.

WAN -> Internet Connection page, in the Special Requirements From ISP section.

Note that this option was only added a few months ago, so if your firmware is too old the option might not be there.

I wonder if Cox is now doing the same thing (in Louisiana, US). I had a similar episode as the OP did, while using a similar modem (Motorola SURFboard SB6120) and an RT-N66R vB1 running RMerlin's v3.0.0.4.372.32.beta3 and all was well.

About 5 or 6 hours after flashing the firmware (on 8-19-2103) I lost the internet connection. All modem and router LEDs indicated everything was normal, yet I was now getting the same msg as the OP was:

"You failed to access to the web page that you want to view. Reason for failed connection: Unable to connect to the Internet. Please double-check your account data with your ISP or contact ASUS Support Hotline for technical inquiries and support. We suggest you: If there diagnosis can not solve your problem, please Go to Setting page of the RT-N66R and you can check and config your setting by yourself."​

Browsed to the router's home page and saw that the internet connection was indeed down, check the log and saw the same message:

"WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly"​

I didn't check the whole log, but I only recall seeing that entry listed one time.

I noticed that DHCP mode setting and saw that it was set to "aggressive". Changed it to "normal" and saved the change. No change to internet access.

So I browsed to the modem's status page and I got the same message as above ("You failed to access to the web page that you want to view....").

Rather than go any further with changes to my setup I figured I'd call Cox Tech support (I gotta say, they're always available no matter what time of day). Tech couldn't see the modem on their network either, which I'm now thinking is really odd. So, rebooted the modem, wait for it to complete. Modem LEDs indcate everything normal (except no upstream channel bonding). Still no internet access. Rebooted the router and internet access is finally restored.

Powered down both modem and router one more time and waited a few minutes (I wanted to get the modem's connection back to normal with up/down bonding, S/N ratios and signal strengths as they weren't quite right). Powered up modem, let it complete booting, then the same with the router, and all's back to normal.

All has been running well ever since, with 9+ days uptime on both modem and router. No changes whatsoever other than the initial changing of the DHCP mode setting being switched from "Agressive" to "Normal" and the two reboots of the modem/router.

Really don't know what caused the initial failure (nor did the Cox tech), but I've never experience a time where I couldn't browse to a modem's status pages when its LEDs indicated it was properly online (and the ISP tech couldn't see the modem on the ISP network). Reading through this thread now makes me think I might've been "blacklisted", where neither me or the Cox tech could see the modem.

Also note that I didn't disconnect/reconnect any cables, so I don't know if connecting a machine directly to the modem would've given me internet access as it did in the OP's case. When I noticed the modem's link LED indicating a proper connection to the router I was thinking trying to directly connect a machine wouldn't give access either. Before trying to bypass stuff or make a bunch of changes, I wanted to find out what Cox could see on their end.

WAN -> Note that this option was only added a few months ago, so if your firmware is too old the option might not be there.

BTW, one more question. What was the rate in these older firmware versions. Your previous post:

makes me think the default was "Aggressive". But was the old Aggressive the same as the new? Or did they make it even more aggressive and just add the less aggressive "Normal" setting for the situations where the ISPs required it?

WAN -> Internet Connection page, in the Special Requirements From ISP section.

Note that this option was only added a few months ago, so if your firmware is too old the option might not be there.

Ok, so I updated the firmware to the latest (according to ASUS), and I still cannot find that option. I'm sorry if I'm a total idiot, but I just don't see it. Please see screenshot that I have included

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,086
Ok, so I updated the firmware to the latest (according to ASUS), and I still cannot find that option. I'm sorry if I'm a total idiot, but I just don't see it. Please see screenshot that I have included

3.0.0.4.276 is not the latest FW - the latest is 3.0.0.4.374.