What's new

RT-N66U not identifying as Gigabit on SB6141?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kjarrett

Occasional Visitor
Just installed a new SB6141. Connections, speeds are fine. Comcast Extreme 50mb service. SB6141's flashing an AMBER light at me indicating a 10/100 WAN connection to the RT-N66U, but that's clearly not the case. Any idea why the SB6141 is doing so? TIA!

-kj-

Seems that auto-negotiate on 802.3 didn't achive gigE. Can you disable auto-negotiate and force gigE for the WAN port of the router?

Mauual/specs do not explicitly say the WAN port is gigE.

The user manual says the LAN ports are gigE, and we'd have to assume so too the WAN port, else it shouldn't be sold as a gigE router, I suppose. But few people have even close to 100MBps ISP service.

Can you disable auto-negotiate and force gigE for the WAN port of the router?

Tried but could not find where in the router setup to do this. Anyone?

Throughput seems unaffected - silly anyway since I only have 50mb service, but my old SB6121 sitting right here is laughing at me because it happily glowed BLUE for the WAN port speed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kjarrett/8303707166/

So, this tells me the cabling and router are fine, and something in the modem is amiss.

This is an aesthetic issue, as performance of the LAN/WAN seem unaffected. Getting great transfer speeds.

Odd, though, and it bugs me. Still searching...THANKS

Have an unused gigE switch? If so, try putting it between the router and modem. Perhaps it'll negotiate correctly.
(don't put any LAN devices on that switch)

Have an unused gigE switch?

Thanks but I sure don't. Appreciate the reply though.

So the question really becomes, does the light color matter, other than aesthetically? Throughput speeds are about what I should expect, I think...

Got the answer on DSLReports. It was the cable. When I use the Cat5e cable that came with the modem, it lights up blue. My Monoprice Cat6 cable - that worked fine for the SB6121 & this router - isn't apparently up to spec. Imagine that!