What's new

[RT-N66U] Which firmware to use for AP and VLAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

derTyp

New Around Here
Hello,

I am planning to setup an IPS for my network and therefore using my now gateway (rt-n66u) as AP. Additionally I want to introduce VLANs for better segmentation. Now I want to ask a few questions before I flash/reconfigure my router:
  1. Which firmware is best suited for my needs, especially VLAN support and good WLAN performance/features (e.g. guest/hotspot network, etc.) ?
    1. I have considered using Shibbys Tomato because it has a GUI for VLAN Setup.
    2. I think all three? (OpenWRT, Tomato, Merlin) of the popular firmwares support VLAN, I am not afraid of configuration via SSH but a GUI would be nice.
    3. I don't know anything about the performance differences of the said versions.
    4. Are there any major up/downsides to any of these firmwares?
  2. Does the Gbit switch work when setting the router to AP-mode?
  3. How free can VLANs be configured, e.g will I be able to set a trunk port that connects to my main switch and is it possible to configure different VLANs for guest an normal WLAN?
I plan to setup different networks (and VLANs) for guest WLAN, normal WLAN and the connected devices on the internal switch (printer, RasPi). In total I need 3 seperate VLANs and a trunk (dot1Q) to my main switch.

I hope I included all necessary information and I look forward to your answers!

Best regards

Shibby is probably your best bet if dealing with VLANs. DD-WRT might also be good, but I never really looked at how evolved their VLAN implementation was.

I'm not sure how well either of these will support VLAN settings in an AP setup. I'd try with Shibby first, since it's the easiest to flash.