What's new

(RT86U) Fresh install of latest Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nathan Groves

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

When I get home in a while I'd like to update my firmware to the latest Merlin release.
In doing this I'd like to wipe the router as much as possible so I know that the install is as fresh as it can be.

Can anyone here tell me the best steps in order to do this?

Thanks in advance :)

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Upgrade to latest Merlin. Sign into webui and head over to to ‘Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting’. Choose “Initialize”, which will reset the router to factory default. Set up again and manually enter all your settings (don’t restore backup).

Just download your new firmware first in your router and then do “Initialize”. This will wipe up everything including browser history and router settings, among others. When the router reboots set it up the way you would like to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replys guys. I definitely won't be restoring any settings, but I will try to restore the certificate for my DDNS if that doesn't cause any problems.

One other thing, I have a HDD attached to the router and I can access the Download master while I'm away from home, but is there a way to access the HDD itself so it can be an FTP of sorts?

Thanks again :)

Nathan

I have a HDD attached to the router and I can access the Download master while I'm away from home, but is there a way to access the HDD itself so it can be an FTP of sorts?

I have a USB stick plugged into the router which I can access while I am travelling. Although you mention HDD, I think the principle should be the same.

I have OpenVPN server running on the router, and installed openVPN client on my laptop.

When I am away, I can log onto the home router via VPN and access the USB stick by mapping a drive letter. (The USB stick will not show in Windows Explorer because of the SMB issues discussed elsewhere on the forum, so I have to type the address in manually.)

One curiosity I found was that from my laptop, I cannot access the root of the USB stick, for reasons I don't understand. So I created a folder on the USB stick, put everything I need to access below this folder, and then when travelling I map to this folder.

My USB stick is 8GB formatted as it came from the shop (FAT32 I think) but the same probably applies to your HDD even though it may be formatted differently.

HDD root is not accessible, except if you open it without password for all users.