What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v2.0.17 -June 8, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner + Speedtest) (New BETA12 Available!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi and thx for superfast reply :)
I running an GT-AXE16000 with Merlin 3004.388.7_0_rog and I dont mind running some commands.
Thanks for letting me know... can you run this and post the results you get back?

Code:
top -n 1 | awk 'NR==1 {print $2, $4, $6, $8, $10} NR==2 {print $2, $4, $6, $8, $14} NR==3 {print $3, $4, $5}'

Thanks for letting me know... can you run this and post the results you get back?

Code:
top -n 1 | awk 'NR==1 {print $2, $4, $6, $8, $10} NR==2 {print $2, $4, $6, $8, $14} NR==3 {print $3, $4, $5}'
ASUSWRT-Merlin GT-AXE16000 3004.388.7_0_rog Fri Apr 26 19:31:54 UTC 2024
XXXXX@GT-AXE16000-XXXX:/tmp/home/root# top -n 1 | awk 'NR==1 {print $2, $4, $6,
$8, $10} NR==2 {print $2, $4, $6, $8, $14} NR==3 {print $3, $4, $5}'
2012416K 37084K 5248K 178780K 1207400K
0.0% 2.3% 0.0% 97.6% 0.0%
0.24 0.19 0.18

@visortgw ... do you get similar results on your GT-AXE16000 as what @Diveblaster is experiencing?
No, it's quite snappy — with Time Interval set to 5 seconds, it takes about 10 seconds for initial CPU/Memory/Disk display after entering option 6. But remember, it's an AiMesh node as opposed to primary router — not sure if that makes any difference.
Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 15.58.08.png

Last edited:
No, it's quite snappy — with Time Interval set to 5 seconds, it takes about 10 seconds for initial CPU/Memory/Disk display after entering option 6. But remember, it's an AiMesh node as opposed to primary router — not sure if that makes any difference.
What do you mean by option 6?

For comparison's sake, could you please run this on your AXE16000?
Code:

Code:
I will later this evening when I get home. Option 6 is from main RTRMON menu to begin execution of monitor mode...

Last edited:

Code:
Code:
# top -n 1 | awk 'NR==1 {print $2, $4, $6, $8, $10} NR==2 {print $2, $4, $6, $8, $14} NR==3 {print $3, $4, $5}'
544648K 1504852K 1936K 8684K 41552K
0.0% 2.4% 0.0% 97.5% 0.0%
0.01 0.07 0.07

@Viktor Jaep

Just updated to the latest version.

I appreciate your hardwork on this nifty script.

I did have a newbie question when looking a the WiFi page...is there a way to view/enabled the 2nd 5G band for those routers with multiple bands (i.e. 5G1/2 or 6G1/2)?

Again I appreciate everything you do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240604_210958_JuiceSSH.jpg
    Screenshot_20240604_210958_JuiceSSH.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 15
@Viktor Jaep

Just updated to the latest version.

I appreciate your hardwork on this nifty script.

I did have a newbie question when looking a the WiFi page...is there a way to view/enabled the 2nd 5G band for those routers with multiple bands (i.e. 5G1/2 or 6G1/2)?

Again I appreciate everything you do.
Yep! That was the intention... thanks so much for bringing this to my attention because I would have never known. In the script, I'm looking for a model name called "GT-AX11000_PRO", but according to your screenshot, it's actually "GT-AX11000_Pro". It makes all the difference! When I publish a quick fix for this, you'll see your 3 wifi bands. ;)

Hi and thx for superfast reply :)
I running an GT-AXE16000 with Merlin 3004.388.7_0_rog and I dont mind running some commands.
So... I'm not making any headway on this. The results I got from you and @visortgw for both your AXE16000's were basically identical and what I'm expecting to see. RTRMON works on his, but not yours, though they are identical routers. A real headscratcher!

If you wouldn't mind running the debug version of RTRMON - download it, run it like you normally do... let it sit for about 15 seconds after running it, or however long it takes before you normally see these errors? Then please save the output on your screen and send it over to me?

Debug version:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/develop/rtrmondb.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Normal version:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

This one's for you, @Kingp1n! Please let me know if your 2nd 5GHz band shows up now! Sorry for the delay on this... ;) Minor update to fix model name to bring compatibility back to the GT-AX11000_Pro!

What's new?
v2.0.17 - (June 8, 2024)
- PATCH:
Fixed compatibility issues with the GT-AX11000_Pro. Apparently, I was searching for an incorrect model name... Thanks to @Kingp1n for noticing that his 2nd 5GHz band was not showing up.

Download link (or update directly within AMTM/RTRMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

This one's for you, @Kingp1n! Please let me know if your 2nd 5GHz band shows up now! Sorry for the delay on this... ;) Minor update to fix model name to bring compatibility back to the GT-AX11000_Pro!

What's new?
v2.0.17 - (June 8, 2024)
- PATCH:
Fixed compatibility issues with the GT-AX11000_Pro. Apparently, I was searching for an incorrect model name... Thanks to @Kingp1n for noticing that his 2nd 5GHz band was not showing up.

Download link (or update directly within AMTM/RTRMON):
Code:
I appreciate the quick update.

I'll definitely report back when I'm home. Thanks again!

Update: all is working smoothly.

Screenshot_20240610_161347_JuiceSSH.jpg

Last edited:
New BETA available! Now showing connected clients, and for those with multiple 5/6GHz wifi interfaces, should show a very unique view of which clients are connected to which interfaces! :) Also my first real taste of utilizing the "column" command, which is a shortcut way of producing a decent column-based output without lots of coding/spacing required. So based on feedback, we'll see if we keep this, or revert back to manual labor to get things spaced out correctly.

What's new?
v2.1.0b1 - (TBA)
- MINOR:
Based on some samples that @RMerlin provided @JGrana when looking at connected WiFi client connected time, it seemed like a great idea to provide a view of which connected clients are currently attached to your router, and on what interface. This new view (page #7) shows the client name, IP, MAC, Uptime, TX/RX Totals (in GB), TX/RX Speeds (in Mbps) for each wireless interface, and also shows the name, IP and MAC for everything else connected to the LAN (br0). Still a bit experimental as I'm refining this, and would definitely appreciate your feedback!

Download link (must be executed using curl statement below to install beta):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/develop/rtrmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

Page 7 now shows which clients are connected to which wireless/wired interfaces!
1720272726429.png

Would love your feedback... see anything weird? Post some screenshots!

NOTE 1:
For those who are getting a "column: not found on line 5000soandso"... looks like this may be a required entware package. Who would have thunk! :( So, please follow these steps (I'll build these into the script down the road):

Code:
opkg update
opkg install column

Then you should be good to go!

NOTE 2:
For those who are seeing a MAC address entry with no other info... make sure you go into your Merlin UI on the main page, click on the "View List" button under clients. and make sure your client has an assigned name. You may need to alter it/rename it for it to stick in NVRAM again. Then you'll see it populate correctly in RTRMON.

Last edited:
New BETA available! Now showing connected clients, and for those with multiple 5/6GHz wifi interfaces, should show a very unique view of which clients are connected to which interfaces! :) Also my first real taste of utilizing the "column" command, which is a shortcut way of producing a decent column-based output without lots of coding/spacing required. So based on feedback, we'll see if we keep this, or revert back to manual labor to get things spaced out correctly.

What's new?
v2.1.0b1 - (TBA)
- MINOR:
Based on some samples that @RMerlin provided @JGrana when looking at connected WiFi client connected time, it seemed like a great idea to provide a view of which connected clients are currently attached to your router, and on what interface. This new view (page #7) shows the client name, IP, MAC, Uptime, TX/RX Totals (in GB), TX/RX Speeds (in Mbps) for each wireless interface, and also shows the name, IP and MAC for everything else connected to the LAN (br0). Still a bit experimental as I'm refining this, and would definitely appreciate your feedback!

Download link (must be executed using curl statement below to install beta):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/develop/rtrmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

Page 7 now shows which clients are connected to which wireless/wired interfaces!
View attachment 59996

Would love your feedback... see anything weird? Post some screenshots!

NOTE 1:
For those who are getting a "column: not found on line 5000soandso"... looks like this may be a required entware package. Who would have thunk! :( So, please follow these steps (I'll build these into the script down the road):

Code:
opkg update
opkg install column

Then you should be good to go!

NOTE 2:
For those who are seeing a MAC address entry with no other info... make sure you go into your Merlin UI on the main page, click on the "View List" button under clients. and make sure your client has an assigned name. You may need to alter it/rename it for it to stick in NVRAM again. Then you'll see it populate correctly in RTRMON.
I love the concept! Any possibility of adding sort options (e.g., by IP address, hostname, or MAC address)?

Issue (but not sure that you can do anything about it): Devices on AiMesh nodes are all categorized as "LAN" with no distinction as to which WiFi band each device is connected.

Nice job on the connected clients.

I will say, after spending a few days trying to display every connected client on my lan - I have a new found respect for Asus Connected Client List. I know we often bash this function - but it’s pretty good based on my observations the past week.
I started to write a script I was going to call “bnm” - Better Network Map. I have changed the name to “anm” - Another Network Map. No matter what options/flags I use with nmap, arp -a, etc. every run of the script shows a different number of detected clients. Some are worse than others (I have a Denon receiver that shows up 50% of the time for example).
Best case is that it’s an approximation of the network at a point in time.
I still experimenting by a combination of nmap/arp -a and wl…

BTW, I also was surprised column is not included in the standard build. Also, if yo haven’t already, checkout the use of the “comm” command. Very useful.

Nice job on the connected clients.

I will say, after spending a few days trying to display every connected client on my lan - I have a new found respect for Asus Connected Client List. I know we often bash this function - but it’s pretty good based on my observations the past week.
I started to write a script I was going to call “bnm” - Better Network Map. I have changed the name to “anm” - Another Network Map. No matter what options/flags I use with nmap, arp -a, etc. every run of the script shows a different number of detected clients. Some are worse than others (I have a Denon receiver that shows up 50% of the time for example).
Best case is that it’s an approximation of the network at a point in time.
I still experimenting by a combination of nmap/arp -a and wl…

BTW, I also was surprised column is not included in the standard build. Also, if yo haven’t already, checkout the use of the “comm” command. Very useful.
Thanks @JGrana! I'm excited to see your work! I am with you and I feel ya... this was a hair-pulling project, and it's not over yet, because I'm still seeing weird anomalies as well, such as duplications at times... which I'm pretty sure is a coding issue.

I did consider RMerlin's advice, but going that route of using nmap/arp pings in my case would just create too much of a lag in displaying that screen. I ended up deciding to use /proc/net/arp as the main list, that contains all wireless/wired clients, and remove wifi clients from it as I identified them going down each wifi interface... and then whatever is left over, MUST be the LAN clients. ;) It's crude, but it seems to work, and matches what I'm seeing on my end.

Thanks for the tip on the comm command! Also, I like the fact that you're showing what kind of device it is based on what nmap is coming back with... very helpful in actually identifying unknown devices on the network!

Thanks @JGrana! I'm excited to see your work! I am with you and I feel ya... this was a hair-pulling project, and it's not over yet, because I'm still seeing weird anomalies as well, such as duplications at times... which I'm pretty sure is a coding issue.

I did consider RMerlin's advice, but going that route of using nmap/arp pings in my case would just create too much of a lag in displaying that screen. I ended up deciding to use /proc/net/arp as the main list, that contains all wireless/wired clients, and remove wifi clients from it as I identified them going down each wifi interface... and then whatever is left over, MUST be the LAN clients. ;) It's crude, but it seems to work, and matches what I'm seeing on my end.

Thanks for the tip on the comm command! Also, I like the fact that you're showing what kind of device it is based on what nmap is coming back with... very helpful in actually identifying unknown devices on the network!
Just to confirm, I saw duplications last evening and this morning as well. No rhyme nor reason...

Just to confirm, I saw duplications last evening and this morning as well. No rhyme nor reason...
Yeah, I need to put in some more time debugging this... thank you for validating it's not just me. ;)