What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v2.0.17 -June 8, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner + Speedtest) (New BETA12 Available!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I started to write a script I was going to call “bnm” - Better Network Map. I have changed the name to “anm” - Another Network Map. No matter what options/flags I use with nmap, arp -a, etc. every run of the script shows a different number of detected clients. Some are worse than others (I have a Denon receiver that shows up 50% of the time for example).
Was just thinking... this might be another idea to throw at this cool script you're writing - more from a security/awareness perspective... You could assemble a "baseline" list of all known devices on your network. Then, if a new device joins, firing off an email to say "HEY! HEADS-UP! A new device just joined your network!" (including IP, device type, MAC, etc.) That would be cool! :)

I love the concept! Any possibility of adding sort options (e.g., by IP address, hostname, or MAC address)?
Yeah, right now it's WYSIWYG... but it looks like there's a "sort" command I can use to manipulate the data before the column command displays them... so YES! :) This sounds like a great suggestion! :)

Issue (but not sure that you can do anything about it): Devices on AiMesh nodes are all categorized as "LAN" with no distinction as to which WiFi band each device is connected.
That's a bugger... I'm not sure about that one. I'm getting the raw data from the "wl" command, which shows exactly which devices are connected to which wifi interface. If an iMesh node doesn't identify itself as being a wireless device, then it may not be on this list... or perhaps it's using some other method to communicate with the main router, and bypassing all this stuff. Perhaps it's closed-source. I'll see if I can get any hints on this...

Was just thinking... this might be another idea to throw at this cool script you're writing - more from a security/awareness perspective... You could assemble a "baseline" list of all known devices on your network. Then, if a new device joins, firing off an email to say "HEY! HEADS-UP! A new device just joined your network!" (including IP, device type, MAC, etc.) That would be cool! :)
Yes, I was thinking creating a baseline would be interesting. Right now I save the previous list then highlight in bold any new devices. I have a watch mode where it runs over and over doing this. Pretty much every loop shows some gone, some back/new. Then the latest list becomes the new “previous” list.
Good idea - I think I will create a list, over time, that stores every client it has detected.
The only issue I see at this point is if/when you really do remove a client from the network it would still be in the list.
Maybe some counter that if the client is NOT in the list for a day/week, remove it.
Once I get closer I’ll put in on github for your fixing/cleaning/use ;-)

Alright @visortgw ... I think I nabbed the bug! Please give RTRMON v2.1.0b2 a shot! :)

v2.1.0b2 - (TBA)
What's new?
- PATCH:
Some further debugging to eliminate dupes caused by shoddy coding, and will now just display an "UNKNOWN" entry if a device shows up that is not defined using a custom name.

Download link (update directly running CURL statement below):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/develop/rtrmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Last edited:
NETMON?!? Or, NETMONMON?

I love the concept! Any possibility of adding sort options (e.g., by IP address, hostname, or MAC address)?

Issue (but not sure that you can do anything about it): Devices on AiMesh nodes are all categorized as "LAN" with no distinction as to which WiFi band each device is connected.

RTRMON v2.1.0 beta 3 is out! Introducing sorting options... let me know how it looks on your end! :)

What's new!?
v2.1.0b3 - (TBA)
- PATCH:
Introduced the option to sort your connected client lists by Name, IP or MAC address! Columns will sort by alpha or numerical order... in the case of MAC, it seems to go alpha then numeric. Huge thanks to @visortgw for suggesting this feature!

Download link (update by running CURL statement below!):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/develop/rtrmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

Running out of the alphabet! :) You can sort by Name, IP or MAC using the keyboard shortcuts specified!
1720394911524.png

RTRMON v2.1.0 beta 3 is out! Introducing sorting options... let me know how it looks on your end! :)

What's new!?
v2.1.0b3 - (TBA)
- PATCH:
Introduced the option to sort your connected client lists by Name, IP or MAC address! Columns will sort by alpha or numerical order... in the case of MAC, it seems to go alpha then numeric. Huge thanks to @visortgw for suggesting this feature!

Code:

Significant Screenshots:

Running out of the alphabet! :) You can sort by Name, IP or MAC using the keyboard shortcuts specified!
View attachment 60044
Sorting does not work at all for me, regardless of which sort option is selected. Also, ALL devices that are on any of the Guest Network Pro wifi networks are now pushed to LAN (as opposed to 2.4/5.0/6.0/6.0(2)), even when connected to the primary router — I have guest networks each on their own VLAN.

Sorting does not work at all for me, regardless of which sort option is selected. Also, ALL devices that are on any of the Guest Network Pro wifi networks are now pushed to LAN (as opposed to 2.4/5.0/6.0/6.0(2)), even when connected to the primary router — I have guest networks each on their own VLAN.
From a command, can you try to see if sort is even installed?

sort -h

I'm very surprised that guests aren't identified using the wl command. Do you see them listed under the regular clients section in the UI on the main page?

Any way you can please provide me with some of the output of what your /proc/net/arp file looks like? I'd like to see what a guest IP looks like.

Any screenshots would help... where you see what, etc! :) Would love to see how your RTRMON screen ends up looking as well from a connected client perspective? :)

Last edited:
From a command, can you try to see if sort is even installed?

sort -h

I'm very surprised that guests aren't identified using the wl command. Do you see them listed under the regular clients section in the UI on the main page?

Any way you can please provide me with some of the output of what your /proc/net/arp file looks like? I'd like to see what a guest IP looks like.

Any screenshots would help... where you see what, etc! :) Would love to see how your RTRMON screen ends up looking as well from a connected client perspective? :)
  1. sort -h output below.
  2. Yes, guests show up in the GUi.
  3. /proc/net/arp output sent via PM.
  4. Screenshot of Guest Network Pro summary:
Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 07.40.36.png
Code:
# sort -h
sort: invalid option -- 'h'
BusyBox v1.25.1 (2024-06-28 21:45:18 EDT) multi-call binary.

Usage: sort [-nrugMcszbdfiokt] [-o FILE] [-k start[.offset][opts][,end[.offset][opts]] [-t CHAR] [FILE]...

Sort lines of text

-o FILE    Output to FILE
    -c    Check whether input is sorted
    -b    Ignore leading blanks
    -f    Ignore case
    -i    Ignore unprintable characters
    -d    Dictionary order (blank or alphanumeric only)
    -g    General numerical sort
    -M    Sort month
    -n    Sort numbers
    -t CHAR    Field separator
    -k N[,M] Sort by Nth field
    -r    Reverse sort order
    -s    Stable (don't sort ties alphabetically)
    -u    Suppress duplicate lines
    -z    Lines are terminated by NUL, not newline

1. sort -h output below.
  2. Yes, guests show up in the GUi.
  3. /proc/net/arp output sent via PM.
  4. Screenshot of Guest Network Pro summary:
Code:
# sort -h
sort: invalid option -- 'h'
BusyBox v1.25.1 (2024-06-28 21:45:18 EDT) multi-call binary.

Usage: sort [-nrugMcszbdfiokt] [-o FILE] [-k start[.offset][opts][,end[.offset][opts]] [-t CHAR] [FILE]...

Sort lines of text

-o FILE    Output to FILE
    -c    Check whether input is sorted
    -b    Ignore leading blanks
    -f    Ignore case
    -i    Ignore unprintable characters
    -d    Dictionary order (blank or alphanumeric only)
    -g    General numerical sort
    -M    Sort month
    -n    Sort numbers
    -t CHAR    Field separator
    -k N[,M] Sort by Nth field
    -r    Reverse sort order
    -s    Stable (don't sort ties alphabetically)
    -u    Suppress duplicate lines
    -z    Lines are terminated by NUL, not newline
Thanks for the info! I'm going to have to play with guest networks and see how they interact on my end. Do these guests on your guest networks and vlans show up on the main network map on the main GUI page? Like when you click on the "view list" button?

Thanks for the info! I'm going to have to play with guest networks and see how they interact on my end. Do these guests on your guest networks and vlans show up on the main network map on the main GUI page? Like when you click on the "view list" button?
Yes they do.

What's new!?
v2.1.0b3 - (TBA)
- PATCH:

Code:

Significant Screenshots:

View attachment 60044
I have been using RTMON and have currently upgraded too the latest version 2.10b3. All of these comments apply to this version but most of them also apply to recent prior versions.

1. Several months ago I switched my WAN interface from Bond1 to eth1 and VPMON didn't pick up on this and when I went into the setup and switched to Auto it didn't completely update this to eth0 so I had to select this setting from the pull down list.

2. On the screen that shows Network Resolution - It reports failed and grayed out is nslookup google.com 127.0.0.1.

3. On the devices connected screen all the devices connected to guest networks 2 or 3 on both bands show as connected to the LAN. The devices are shown correctly on the network map when I look at the device list. This is just to report what has been previously reported.

4. On the screen where you can initiate a speed test for the WAN or VPN client I always get the immediate reply unknown operand and no data is shown in the tables.. Unknown operand is shown twice.

Again I appreciate your work so thank you. Let me know if I can send you any additional information that will help you run down any of these issues.

I have been using RTMON and have currently upgraded too the latest version 2.10b3. All of these comments apply to this version but most of them also apply to recent prior versions.

1. Several months ago I switched my WAN interface from Bond1 to eth1 and VPMON didn't pick up on this and when I went into the setup and switched to Auto it didn't completely update this to eth0 so I had to select this setting from the pull down list.

2. On the screen that shows Network Resolution - It reports failed and grayed out is nslookup google.com 127.0.0.1.

3. On the devices connected screen all the devices connected to guest networks 2 or 3 on both bands show as connected to the LAN. The devices are shown correctly on the network map when I look at the device list. This is just to report what has been previously reported.

4. On the screen where you can initiate a speed test for the WAN or VPN client I always get the immediate reply unknown operand and no data is shown in the tables.. Unknown operand is shown twice.

Again I appreciate your work so thank you. Let me know if I can send you any additional information that will help you run down any of these issues.
Great list! If you wouldn't mind please sending me via PM a screen shot of your web UI client list and the output of /proc/net/arp, I would really appreciate it. I will work on these other items too. Wonder if some of these are due to the overridden wan setting.

Great list! If you wouldn't mind please sending me via PM a screen shot of your web UI client list and the output of /proc/net/arp, I would really appreciate it. I will work on these other items too. Wonder if some of these are due to the overridden wan setting.
Here is the screen shot. The other information requested was sent by PM.

Attachments

• Screenshot_8-7-2024_141052_192.168..jpeg
    Screenshot_8-7-2024_141052_192.168..jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 12
RTRMON tries to determine what WAN interface is being used using a function that's pretty fool proof, but in some special cases, like what you described above, you would need to manually tune this setting. If you see any problems with it not reporting info correctly on page 2, please let me know.

What happens if you manually run this command?

Code:
nslookup google.com 127.0.0.1
echo $?

If it comes back with something other than 0, then there's an issue.

This has now been fixed with RTRMON v2.1.0b4! :)

This is a tougher one to diagnose, because it can literally be almost anything... I may need to send you a debug version of the script... it's going to look a little messy, but if you can replicate the unknown operand error with your keypress, and send me the output, then I should be able to find this bugger. :) You game??

RTRMON tries to determine what WAN interface is being used using a function that's pretty fool proof, but in some special cases, like what you described above, you would need to manually tune this setting. If you see any problems with it not reporting info correctly on page 2, please let me know.

What happens if you manually run this command?

Code:
nslookup google.com 127.0.0.1
echo $?

If it comes back with something other than 0, then there's an issue.

This has now been fixed with RTRMON v2.1.0b4! :)

This is a tougher one to diagnose, because it can literally be almost anything... I may need to send you a debug version of the script... it's going to look a little messy, but if you can replicate the unknown operand error with your keypress, and send me the output, then I should be able to find this bugger. :) You game??
I had this issue over the weekend. I believe my CPU was probably overloaded and it would not run the speedtest thru RTRMON. I went to the internal GUI & tried thru there and my router froze & the WiFi dropped. I can't say if the CPU was overloaded or not or maybe something else caused for the WiFi to drop.

Screenshot_20240706_053733_JuiceSSH.jpg

Beta 4 is available, fixing the guest wi-fi issues noted above! Thanks to everyone involved for their assist on this! :)

What's new?
v2.1.0b4 - (TBA)
- PATCH:
Some additional work was done on the connected clients to account for guest wi-fi clients per feedback by both @visortgw and @CaptainSTX. Thanks also to @ColinTaylor and @DJones for narrowing down what interface guest wi-fi clients reside on, and providing script samples of pulling legit guest wi-fi interface names. RTRMON will now display enabled guest wi-fi ranges along with their associated connections.

Download link (update running CURL command below):
Code:

Significant Screenshots:

1720486668241.png

Very nice adding this patch. Now if only we could get per client Signal strength. 😉