What's new

Running ac66u and ac68u together

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GTvert90

Regular Contributor
Trying to expand my wifi coverage to some corners of the house where I don't get very good signal. I was looking into access point vs repeater/extender, then came across using a router as an AP, using the same SSID /password but setting it to run on different Channels. Then the phone /laptop/other device would Choose the channel accordingly. There would be quite a large over lap in the coverage where you could probably get full bars from either router. Would this be an issue? Basically I want one network. I don't want to have to manually switch to a different network when I change rooms, and bandwidth is important so I'd like to stay away from repeaters.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk

You can have different ssid's with one network. I would not configure a single ssid in your case (you can test it though to see how it works with your devices) - you will never know which router it is connected to.

Configure a unique ssid for each band and each router.

If you're using the RMerlin firmware; you may find the 'Roaming assistance' setting useful in getting you to 'automatically' switch you to the stronger signal.

Using the same ssid per band will probably be an exercise in frustration - especially if the overlap is as strong as you indicate.

From what I've read I think the 1 ssid per band 1 ssid for 2.4 and another for 5 but the same on both routers would work okay. Just seems like most settings are multi story houses or ranch/flats. Right now the router is in the basement / lower level. There is parts of the main floor that doesn't get more then 2 bars of 2.4. I was planning on moving my router to the main floor but don't want to sacrifice signal downstairs.

There would be a HUGE area of overlap. That's my main concern I believe. If I put enough distance between the channels in the band do you think I could get them up play nice?

If you're using the RMerlin firmware; you may find the 'Roaming assistance' setting useful in getting you to 'automatically' switch you to the stronger signal.

This feature was actually added by Asus, so it will be present in the stock FW as well (provided your router is up-to-date).

Thanks RMerlin; didn't know it was an Asus addition (I attribute all the good stuff to you, by default).

GTver90, nothing changes from my recommendations.

Even if a single ssid per band on all routers worked now for your current devices; doesn't mean it will continue to do so when updated drivers, firmware or new devices are added to your network.

Try a single ssid and see how it works for you. It may (has for many others).

But I would not waste my time on letting the device choose the router to connect to; I would want full control.

That makes sense. I'll probably move the router vs adding a 2nd one. Then see how the signal is and go from there. Thanks.

Location, location location... isn't that what all ]routers need to be great? :)

No kidding. But you have to work with what you have.

Do you know if they broadcasts down as well as they do up? Trying to see how it will effect signal down stairs but I guess I'll find out.

Common SSID is the preferred option - try it first...

Newer devices will do some link metrics and choose the best path/best band...

Preferred for convenience or... ?

I prefer to use different SSIDs at home, as it allows me to manually switch to stronger signal. And i know exactly which ssid belongs to which router, thus it makes it easier to trouble shoot if there is an issue.

But i use dd-wrt firmware, so i have have far more control and options, even when a router is in AP mode bridged to another router.

How does dd-wrt firmware help with separate ssid's?

In that sense; are not all routers equal?

How does dd-wrt firmware help with separate ssid's?

In that sense; are not all routers equal?

DD-wrt it self does not help when we are only discussing SSID's.

But.
DD-WRT does not hide half the options that Asus firmware does when switching router to AP mode. A router with DD-WRT firmware is in AP mode and in router mode at the same time, something that Asus firmware does not allow.

Last edited:
Thanks KGB7 - I am sure that these unneeded separate 'modes' will disappear too from the Asus or RMerlin versions soon too.

(crosses fingers that soon is sooner rather than later).

Thanks KGB7 - I am sure that these unneeded separate 'modes' will disappear too from the Asus or RMerlin versions soon too.

(crosses fingers that soon is sooner rather than later).

The modes you speak of, should not disappear from OEM firmwares. What we need, is more control over our routers with OEM firmwares, we need more options in each mode. But, this is why 3rd party firmwares exist in the first place.

Have you used DD-WRT firmware or any aftermarket firmware? Im honestly curious because you asked an odd question.

p.s.

Manufacturers are going to start charging for firmware upgrades on Business class hardware.

Last edited:
What I was suggesting is that the Asus firmware goes modeless too. I too appreciate additional features.

I don't think I asked any questions either.

No - haven't used dd-wrt firmware (at least not successfully, couldn't even flash it).

What are you waiting for? You do have an Asus router, right? Then flash DD-WRT firmware or Tomato firmware. If you having issues flashing then let me know, and ill try to walk you through the process.

The difference with 3rd party firmware is night and day. Sure many things are constantly in development, there are bugs here and there. But the amount of options you get can be overwhelming.

Just PM me if you need help.

Thanks, but no need for any help with dd-wrt - just not interested.

I used to have about 200 utilities installed with XP back in the day.

Now, a plain jane OS does me fine. ;)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!