What's new

Set up an AP or double-NAT?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TechnikalKP

New Around Here
I recently upgraded to 'wideband' broadband from TWC and they provided a new Motorola SB6580 modem. When in Bridge mode, it seems to be very particular about the order devices are brought up - ex - it I plug in my router prior to the modem being fully booted, then the router never gets an IP address. Though the solution is simple, it always seems to happen when I'm out of town, which make the fam unhappy.

So, I'm left with a choice of setting up a my current wireless router as an access point, or leaving it as a router and having double-NAT.

My internal network needs are pretty simple. I have a few computers connected that share via a homegroup, a voip box, and random smartphones/tables that need internet connectivity. I'm currently running the Belkin n750db. I'm not currently using the USB ports on the router.

Which setup should I use - AP or double-NAT - and why?

Thanks!

AP.
double-NAT has more overhead = lower rates, and is a PITA to admin.

Re order of boot-up. My (bridge mode) cable modem (TWC) has to be rebooted if the MAC address on the router changes. The WiFi router can reboot without having to reboot the cable modem. I think this is typical for DOCSIS cable modems.

Last edited:
thanks for the info. I'll set it up as an AP.

On the modem - it's more funky that usual. In bridged mode, if anything is connected at all when the modem restarts, it won't provide an IP. I have to physically disconnect the ethernet cable, reboot the modem, let it fully establish its connection, then reattach the router to have it work. It's rare to have to do this, but a pain when it does occur. This does not seem to be a problem with the modem is not bridged.

t I have to physically disconnect the ethernet cable, reboot the modem, let it fully establish its connection, then reattach the router to have it work. It's rare to have to do this, but a pain when it does occur. This does not seem to be a problem with the modem is not bridged.
Sounds to me like the router is at fault. It's failing the DHCP request on its WAN port too soon. If you temporarily connect a PC to the cable modem and reboot the modem, does the PC succeed in renewing its IP address? Can you try a different router? Is the router set to defaults on the WAN port (no PPPoE, etc?)

If none of this works, I'd press the cable co. to swap out the modem - by a service call or you take the modem in for a swap.

It does the same with a laptop connected - the machine won't pick up an IP unless it's attached after the modem is fully booted.

I may check with TWC on swapping out the modem. However, it's working fine as a AP right now. I do give up some of the functions on the router, but my network setup is pretty simple so it doesn't impact usability.

Thanks again for the help!