What's new

Setting Up File Station. I must be just missing something.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

azmanam

New Around Here
I'm a newbie to NAS, but I've been using Windows PCs my whole life. I've built a Linux computer from the mobo up. I'm ignorant to NAS, but not computer illiterate. I know how file systems and folder hierarchies work.

But I'm just not getting the file system philosophy with Synology.

I just bought a DS923+ with 12x12x16x16 TB setup with SHR as one partition. I have three domains for which I will be using my NAS: family/personal documents, media (photos, movies, ...), and a YouTube Channel. I considered setting up 3 partitions, but figured it would be more dynamic to just have one partition with three folders that I could set/restrict access to.

I have to admit, there were so many set up screens when I first plugged everything in that I kinda lost track of all the user names and passwords I created (thanks LastPass!)

Going into all of this, I assumed I'd have three top-level folders: Family, Media, YouTube. Within Family, I'd have subfolders for Me, Spouse, Kid1, Kid2, ... I figured I'd create my spouse as a user and give permission to all the folders. I'd create a Kid1 user with only permissions to the Kid1 subfolder, etc.

But I can't seem to recreate that, so I must just be missing something or misunderstanding the philosophy/hierarchy .

In File Station, I have two parent folders: Home and Homes. I don't really know why or if that's a good idea. I don't know if that was default, or if I set up a second one during setup that I didn't mean to/shouldn't have.

In File Station, Homes has the users I've created (so far, just me and my spouse. Will add the kids later when I figure all this out). Each user has a #RecycleBin and a Photos folder. My user additionally has SynologyDrive folder with subfolders I've created that I see on other devices. SynologyDrive is not visible in the Spouse User.

In File Station, Home has a Photos and the same SynologyDrive folder that is in my user folder.

I guess I figured the SynologyDrive folder would be the top-level folder, so I created a Me, Spouse, Media, YouTube folder inside the Synology Drive folder. But this does not seem to be the case, as neither the SynologyDrive folder is visible in the Spouse folder.

Home
--Photos
--SynologyDrive
-- --Me
-- --Spouse
-- --Media
-- --YouTube
Homes
--Me
-- --Photos
-- --SynologyDrive
-- -- --Me
-- -- --Spouse
-- -- --Media
-- -- --YouTube
--Spouse
-- --Photos

The SynologyDrive folder appears to be synced between Home/ and Homes/Me/.

I've tried sharing the SynologyDrive folder with Spouse. I've tried changing the owner to the Users group instead of Me. Spouse has read/write permissions to the SynologyDrive folder. But no matter what I do, I don't see the SynologyDrive folder under the Spouse folder in File Station. The best I can do it get it to show up under Shared With Me in the Drive app. This is ok, I guess, but not what I envisioned (which admittedly may be a flawed vision). When someone shares a OneDrive folder with me, I can pin it to my OneDrive such that it shows up in my top level folder (or wherever I move it to). I can't seem to figure out something analogous here.

What am I not getting about the folder hierarchy? How do I best recreate the idea I had above? Or do I need to rethink how I envision the folder system in Synology?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!