What's new

Setting up network Billion 7800n + WNDR3700v2. Advice needed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oconnor

New Around Here
Hey Guys

Have been lurking for a long time but decided to join up today and get into the mix here. Quick run down of my situation. I own a house which I rent out an additional 4 rooms in (5 of us in total...). Stuck on ADSL1 (sync at around 5500kb/s).

Between us there is approximately 30 devices that will be accessing the internet. The 7800n has struggled to cope when there is peak demand for the internet, or even just general browsing. I find that with people accessing the network, I'm virtually unable to push music to my Apple TV (used with the hifi system in my room) or any of the Airport Express' around the house (also connected to various speakers etc).

In my search for a solution - it was recommended that I purchase a WNDR3700 and run Gargoyle with some QoS settings in place to limit the congestion. For some reason this solution never worked properly. I couldn't get it to work correctly with the Billion.

I'm here to see if anyone can offer some advice on how to best set up the network here. As stated, I have a Billion 7800n & Netgear WNDR3700 flashed w Gargoyle.

I find when I put the Billion in bridging mode - the sync speed is far less. (Due to the fact that I lose the ability to change the SNR which gained a far better sync). Is there a way I can connect the Netgear, via ethernet, disable the wireless from the Billion and just use the wireless capabilities of the Netgear (while still maintaining the ability to control SNR). Does anything else have to be disabled inside the Billion to get this to work? Or is it just not possible unless the 7800 is bridged?

I'm hoping that the extra throughput from the Netgear and the QoS via Gargoyle should solve my problems - I need this to be set up as stable as possible to avoid any dropouts. Just touching back to when I had attempted this previously, the Netgear appeared to work fine for a few hours but then would lose internet connection and I would be unable to log into the router via chrome etc while still being connected to the network. Is this a Netgear firmware issue? Possibly Gargoyle? Or is it down to how it was set up with the Billion?

Apologies if the above is somewhat incoherent - but seriously - ANY advice, tips, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

I should mention that I'm open to purchasing other hardware - if necessary to get the performance required. Open to suggestions.

I don't think there are many Billion owners around here, these forums tend to be US-centric when it comes to hardware and as far as I know the Billion 7800N is not common in the US - correct me if I am wrong here.

I have a Billion 7800N but I am afraid I can't even attempt to answer your question. FWIW the UK Billion forums are excellent - might be worth a try?

Chunks

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!