What's new

Setting up old e3200 as an AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scarchelli

New Around Here
Sorry if this is the wrong spot to ask for help with this.

I am trying to plug my old linksys e3200 in my bedroom, with my now brand new ASUS ac66u plugged in the basement. Wifi works great down there and in the living room now, but not so much in my bedroom, and since I stream a lot of stuff to my ps3, I want to set up this AP so I can rewire my ps3.

I currently have everything plugged in fine with the new ac66u, but can't figure out how to get into the settings to change the e3200 to an AP. I plugged it in right next to my laptop (here in my bedroom) and through the floor it was plugged in to the modem directly, but I could never get in the settings for the linksys. It always took me to the ac66u settings page when i went to 192.168.1.1, even when I plugged the e3200 directly into the modem. I tried that IP address to set it up, and the setup disc (well not the disc because I lost it, but I downloaded the same thing). What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Sorry if this is the wrong spot to ask for help with this.

I am trying to plug my old linksys e3200 in my bedroom, with my now brand new ASUS ac66u plugged in the basement. Wifi works great down there and in the living room now, but not so much in my bedroom, and since I stream a lot of stuff to my ps3, I want to set up this AP so I can rewire my ps3.

I currently have everything plugged in fine with the new ac66u, but can't figure out how to get into the settings to change the e3200 to an AP. I plugged it in right next to my laptop (here in my bedroom) and through the floor it was plugged in to the modem directly, but I could never get in the settings for the linksys. It always took me to the ac66u settings page when i went to 192.168.1.1, even when I plugged the e3200 directly into the modem. I tried that IP address to set it up, and the setup disc (well not the disc because I lost it, but I downloaded the same thing). What am I doing wrong?

Don't know if you're familiar with all the things that you need to do to convert a router into an AP...you need to turn off DHCP on the AP (your main router does all the DHCP work), also UPnP, and set the address of the AP to be outside of the DHCP pool of your main router but on the same subnet. When you've done that, then connect one of the LAN ports on your main router to a LAN port on the AP.

THere's a detailed article on how to convert a wireless router to an AP on this site if the above isn't enough *smile*...just use the search facility! easy to find.

Oh yeah, to get into the settings on the e3200, just disconnect a wired computer from your main router (turn off wireless if the computer has that). Then connect the computer "stand-alone" to a LAN port of the e3200 via a cable, and you can just change the settings as you want. If you try to do that when the computer is also connected to your main router, as you saw, you'll go to your main router's admin page if both router's IP addresses are 192.168.1.1. So you just need a temporarily dedicated computer to connect to the e3200 to get the job done.

Good luck, it really is easy. Maybe not the first time, but after that *smile*.

Last edited:
My new router downstairs is connected to this laptop via ethernet cable (through the floor). If I unplug the cable (so this laptop has no internet) and plug another cable into it and directly to a LAN port on the old linksys (right next to me, then run the setup (from the installation disc files, as going to 192.168.1.1 says to do), it stops setup and says I can't setup the internet because I'm on more than one network. Wireless is disabled on here and I'm not wired to the Asus in the basement, though. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Turnoff your main router and modem. (unplug from electrical outlet).

Now try connecting your computer to one of the E3200's lan ports (not the internet port).

Follow instructions in my previous post above.

Not to thread hijack. If I am asking to much. Let me know and I will make my own thread. Kinda like OP right now. I currently use a Linksys WRT1900AC. It replaced my old Linksys E4200 v1. Right now it is just sitting in the closet. Cascade and bridge seem almost the same? Currently using a 50ft ethernet cable going from my bedroom to living room for my PS4. Don't want to use the 2.4GHz wireless as the PS4 only supports that. Would love to use 5GHz with my E4200. Should I use my E4200 still? I don't think I can get away with the cable though. As it would not be a wireless bridge with the E4200 correct?

Not to thread hijack. If I am asking to much. Let me know and I will make my own thread. Kinda like OP right now. I currently use a Linksys WRT1900AC. It replaced my old Linksys E4200 v1. Right now it is just sitting in the closet. Cascade and bridge seem almost the same? Currently using a 50ft ethernet cable going from my bedroom to living room for my PS4. Don't want to use the 2.4GHz wireless as the PS4 only supports that. Would love to use 5GHz with my E4200. Should I use my E4200 still? I don't think I can get away with the cable though. As it would not be a wireless bridge with the E4200 correct?

Stock linksys firmware for the E4200v1 can only do a wired bridge mode. You'll need to run a cable. See instructions in post above. The wording of their description of "bridge mode" can be confusing and somewhat misleading as it is a wired connection of the routers. Linksys calls it "bridge mode". Asus calls it "AP mode". It's the same thing.

The wrt1900 has two types of bridge mode. Wired and wireless. Confusing, isn't it?

For a wireless bridge on the e4200v1, you'd probably need to use ddwrt, but I don't know if the two devices would cooperate and it would work. Probably not.

Last edited:

Put dd-wrt on it then google client bridged. You can then set the 5ghz radio to bridge your other router. The plug the ps4 into the e4200.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online