What's new

Setting Up WRE54G V1 with WRT54G V3 Issue. Not Communicating. MAC Cloning Enabled.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

acaloyeras

New Around Here
Setting Up WRE54G V1 with WRT54G V3 Issue. Not Communicating. MAC Cloning Enabled.

I am looking to expand my WRT54G V3 Network with the WRE54G V1 Range Extender. Both are loaded with original firmware and I can access admin configurations for each. (I must turn DHCP off and enter IP manually to get to the extender.)

Another Note: I use MAC cloning enabled on my original router WRT54G. I followed the instructions word for word from another SmallNetBuilder forum but cannot get it to work and it does not trouble shoot where I get stuck.

By switching DHCP on and off I can get to both wireless networks and access the configurations. Not sure exactly what I should enter for each. I have them both on Channel 6 with SSID's different and broadcasting. I have DDNS disabled. Will it work with MAC address cloning enables? Any other thoughts? Feel free to also shoot me an email: acaloyeras@gmail.com

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 245
  • Screen shot 2009-11-08 at 1.24.59 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-11-08 at 1.24.59 PM.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 276
  • Screen shot 2009-11-08 at 1.25.15 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-11-08 at 1.25.15 PM.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 239
Addtional Notes:

As well, for now wireless security is not important. I just want to get everything working. If it would be recommended to update firmware please advise and to which firmware release.

I must use MAC Address cloning to have a router working with my provider.

I've set up and used several of the WRE54G boxes and generally speaking they were somewhat of a pain to get set up but once they were working they are quite reliable.

On the version 1 box you have no Ethernet jack so it must connect to the AP wirelessly. What I found worked best was to reset the box and the plug it in very near to the AP. Then after it's had some time to boot and when it's sitting there with one red and one blue light press the button on the side. The lights on top will blink several times and if the one nearest to the antenna turns and then STAYS blue you are in business. I'll only work if you're set to no security also.

Then when you have two blue lights, one steady and one flashing once in a while try to connect to the WRE. It will now have an SSID that's the same as the one that's on your AP if you're successful. Sometimes it's tough to get your computer to choose the extender. If this is the case you might have to move the extended farther away from the AP, plug it in, let it boot(get the two blue lights) and give it a try. You should be able to get your IP address and be able to surf, check the admin page on the router etc. If everything is working go ahead and set up your wireless encryption starting with the WRE FIRST.

Good luck. For whatever reason this always seemed to take some fiddling to get working at least for me anyway. Having a nice strong signal from the AP to the WRE when it's setting itself up is very important.

Ok. I'll try it out again. Do you know what versions your were using? Perhaps I should upgrade the firmware? DO you have any opinion to the MAC Address cloning? will that affect it?

thanks

Got all firmwares updated and shut everything off. Booted up one by one, cable modem, router, computer, extender and pressed auto config. For the first time the MAC address locked and it seems to be good to go.

But... when connected to the Extender there is no internet conectivity. Again, the light is blue for the first time but still no internet access... Prett lost now. Bummer!!

Any ideas?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!