What's new

Setup GT-AXE16000 before ISP install?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BJBBJB

Occasional Visitor
Greetings.

I am a big Asus fan and my network and pc gear has been Asus for years. Helping a friend setup their new GT-AXE16000 when they move in and get internet access. It will be used standalone, not part of a mesh.

My question is can I updste firmware, run through the setup, choose SSID, login password, all the other settings, without having the permanent WAN connected? Will it then work when connected? Would at least like to update firmware.

Also, my Asus mesh is a few years old, pre wifi 6 butI am very familiar with Asus standard software settings. Any suggestions on settings I might not have used? Will be used for wired and wireless gaming, general streaming, PC and laptop general use.

Thanks!
BJBBJB

Yes, you can. Especially if you know exactly what WAN settings will be required by the new ISP.
You'll have to download the firmware to be able to upgrade it.
Some of the settings may not work (like AiProtection) as it requires agreeing with some T&C. But that's not a big problem and anyway is better to keep configuration simple.

Yes, you can. Especially if you know exactly what WAN settings will be required by the new ISP.
You'll have to download the firmware to be able to upgrade it.
Some of the settings may not work (like AiProtection) as it requires agreeing with some T&C. But that's not a big problem and anyway is better to keep configuration simple.
Thanks! I know with my old Asus there were some settings you kept off to keep the speed up. Okay to run most of these protection or filtering tools at defaults with the GT-AXE16000?
With it being so much newer and more powerful I am hoping so.
Thanks!
BJBBJB

Keep those off! Defaults are off. They require explicit T&C to be approved. And that implies internet access.
Most of today's traffic is encrypted. Some devices are doing DNS over HTTPS. So networking equipment is just a carrier and it makes little sense to try to use those type of "protection".
Just my 2c. I have my GT-AXE16000 as a router and nothing else. It does great like that. I do take care of my main devices and the ones I don't trust are on a guest network without access to anything else.