What's new

Sharing Internet Connection: Guest network or two lans?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Goosey

New Around Here
I am looking to provide wifi to my tenants but want to protect my network as well as speed. I understand that having two separate internet connections would be best and easiest, performance wise, but that would be the most expensive option in the long run. What would be other ways to accomplish my goal?

A bit of background info: the supplied modem from my internet provider is a modem/router type. I have read the article below.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/24428-howtotwoprivlan

The article above seems to suggest that I need 3 routers. Can I get away with purchasing two? A good one for myself and a basic one for the tenants? If sharing connection this way, is it possible to easily throttle the tenants' connection? Alternatively, can I use one router, set up a guest network (i.e. separate SID) and be able to throttle that connection as well?

I am not opposed to investing in the right equipment to get things done. I'm just wondering what would be the best way to go when considering performance, ease of setup, and economically. Please give equipment recommendations as well. I am familiar with the Asus r56u as I bought that for my parents' house. Thanks in advance for your help.

I would have both a guest network and a VLAN. Assign the VLAN id to the guest network and turn the priority down. Also alter QoS as well.

I would definitely get two ISP connections (modems). One for your private use. VLAN can isolate. But you will have bandwidth hogs.

From legal stand point, Dont Do it! Unless you willing to spend alot of money on hardware firewall and block half the internet, close off all the ports.

Let me make it simple for you. If the tenants do anything illegal and popo comes knocking on the door, then its your butt that gets the electric chair.

Your tenants should get their own, separate internet and they should pay for it out of their own pocket.

If you provide Internet to tenants, be prepared to be the tier 1 and tier 2 tech support 24/7. It's a no win.

If you provide Internet to tenants, be prepared to be the tier 1 and tier 2 tech support 24/7. It's a no win.

More like 25/8. lol

If the Netflix is down on their end, YOU are the one that gets to figure it out. If the email attachments contain viruses, you are the one that will get blamed for not having the correct protection on your network.

The amount of BS blame that can potentially and will fall on your head will be more then any single person can handle.

Dont do it!!

I know how that is I IT support my family all the time. Specially since they use a potato router and I'm gonna try to sell them my Amped R10. He he. That way I can have a break.

Ya I'm leaning towards just not providing internet and not worry about anything. It's going to put my property at a competitive disadvantage a bit, but the biggest concern I have is that installers might screw things up when they install internet for my tenants.

Ya I'm leaning towards just not providing internet and not worry about anything. It's going to put my property at a competitive disadvantage a bit, but the biggest concern I have is that installers might screw things up when they install internet for my tenants.
Installation (improper design) is avoidable if you get the right advice before contracting.
But being the on-call person for "why is my xxx so yyy? I want my money back!", isn't. Unless you sub that out.

Here is another idea.

If the tenants do NOT live with you, then you can add a clause to the rental agreement stating that legally frees you from all responsibilities if you do install some kind of internet service. But keep it simple and just install a modem. Then its up to tenants to get their own wifi and other network devices. And if they do something illegal, then you have a clause in rental agreement to protect you.

But if the tenants share the property with you as you live there, then they should pay for their own service. If you get Cable Internet, they can also get same cable internet as well by getting their own modem. Because you can have more then 1 cable modem connected/setup at house at the same time.

You do have options, but you need to protect your self first. I advice you to speak with an attorney before hand.

Last edited:
If you want to incur costs for tenant Internet.. try this: Advertise that they get an $X credit on their rent/lease rate for Internet service and the tenant obtains their own service (DSL, Cable Modem, etc.). You might do this if you need this subsidy to be competitive in the market. Or not.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online