What's new

Should I add another router along side the Comcast router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

someguy7337

New Around Here
I am looking at trying to improve the overall connection of my computer and devices to both the local network and the internet. In my current situation, Ethernet is not an option unless you are really close to the Comcast router. I am not normally close to the Comcast router. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to possibly buy another router to hook up to the Comcast router to perhaps help with both signal for farther away and streaming SD videos.

I'm kinda trying to setup a home media server. Right now the signal doesn't seem that strong for where I am located.

EDIT: Also just thought to perhaps make a second network, for local streaming only. However I'm not sure if it would be best to use a server or use the WiFi card to connect to people that want to stream videos. Also I know that the PS3 and just about anything else out there to stream to the TV is stuck on pretty much the g spectrum.

SideNote: I looked at possible upgrading my Wireless Adapter in my computer which is a D-Link DWA-556 it actually seemed to have gone up in price some places, is there a reason why?

A huge bundle of thanks.

Last edited:
The best thing to do would be to set up a wireless access point (AP) that you connect via an ethernet cable to your comcast router to extend the range of your wireless coverage. This can be any wireless router, depending on the speed that you need to achieve. I notice that you seem to have a problem wiring clients to your Comcast router, so you could also try powerline networking or MoCA to connect the wireless AP to your router. These are both slower than just an ethernet cable connection, but fast enough to stream media. A wired connection is always best, but you can use wireless as a second choice.

One way to go is to use the 5GHz. wireless band for streaming, since there's less interference there than on 2.4GHz. However, your 5GHz. signal also attenuates more quickly with distance or walls to go through, etc. wherever you might live, that's the physics of radio signals as the frequency increases. A centrally located wireless AP in your place, though, if it's not too large or too spread out, depending on the construction as well, might be able to cover the whole space. Or you might need more than one AP, again, depending on the physical constraints of your home. One more thing, a wireless AP should be on a different channel than the wireless from your Comcast router. Or you could turn off the wireless on your Comcast router and just use a stronger wireless router for an AP.

At my house, a Netgear R7000 covers my whole house on both 2.4GHz. and 5GHz., which may or may not be the case for you. You'll most likely have to experiment a bit with this one, and see what you can do.

It would be good to hear more about the physical spaces that you're talking here, how big they are, how they are laid out, and what the construction materials are. That would help you get better advice.

Are you able to simply replace the comcast modem/router with your own. this solution will allow you to purchase a more expensive unit since the cost will be offset rather quickly when you are not paying their monthly fee for modem rentals.

Also which modem/router did comcast send you (this may help to determine if a better router will improve your connectivity enough as compared to adding an additional access point (since you stated earlier that you will not be able to do a long run of Ethernet cable

E.g., if you do not care much for 3rd party firmware, you can basically go for something, in around a month, you can probably go for something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J65WQHU/?tag=snbforums-20

Which will likely be a mixture of R6300 and a cable modem

1. Does comcast supply a modem only option and you supply a better router.
2. You could pick up another router and put it in AP mode then wire it to the modem/router.
3. Another option, move the modem/router to a better location if you have the coax to other rooms.

Unfortunately this is a roommate situation as well. I am stuck with the Comcast router its a ARRIS TG862. However adding another router is fine.

The house isn't Ethernet wired, which is the biggest headache. Now I can get a router and hook it up via Ethernet to said router. One of the issues is location of said router. Its kinda in not an ideal location, its in a back hallway. Adding a router would mean having the router there or moving it into the back wash room. However with how the floor space is laid out this could potentially have less walls between the router in the wash room then the one in the hallway.

I'm not sure what powerline networking or MoCA is exactly.

He would be fine with using a different router and turning off the wireless of the comcast if that is possibly. Though of course it would need the same name and password as the comcast wireless if I did that.

I was kinda thinking of getting this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CZ1H07688
and have it be by the router with an Ethernet connection and use that as my connection to the internet.

EDIT: Just looked at WiFi analysis and its says that avonna1 (the house network), xfinitywifi, and DIRECT-roku-A5F62A. Are all on the same channel. Need to ask but it might be that xfinitywifi is also ours, but i do think so. Would changing the channels help? I'm also not sure how to do that.

Last edited: