What's new

Shut off network for a device at a specific time using Mac address? RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah same, I just assumed that a lot of these facilities just work but I guess there's compromises when you cram everything into a small package.

In a corporate/enterprise environment these facilities would be handled by dedicated appliances or entire servers so I guess it makes sense :)

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

So I just flashed the latest stable merlin firmware and before I even got to look at the time scheduling I'm back to the problem I had before I left merlins. Take my phone for example, on standard firmware spèedtest cones back anything from 200 -300m no issue. Leave the house come back and everything is good. Running merlin firmware now and speeds came back good, Walked the dogs and as soon as I'm in the house I run a test. 15m. Knock WiFi on the phone off and on and I'm back to full speeds.

I also noticed that the WiFi range has dropped dramatically. Did you have to configure anything on the radio side? Power output or anything.

I know it's a separate issue but thought you might have some insite

So I just flashed the latest stable merlin firmware and before I even got to look at the time scheduling I'm back to the problem I had before I left merlins. Take my phone for example, on standard firmware spèedtest cones back anything from 200 -300m no issue. Leave the house come back and everything is good. Running merlin firmware now and speeds came back good, Walked the dogs and as soon as I'm in the house I run a test. 15m. Knock WiFi on the phone off and on and I'm back to full speeds.

I also noticed that the WiFi range has dropped dramatically. Did you have to configure anything on the radio side? Power output or anything.

I know it's a separate issue but thought you might have some insite
For the wireless roaming side of things, all I can suggest is check what you were on (band, protocol, connected speeds) and what it reconnects to. Sorry being lazy but did you say you use smart connect? Maybe the Merlin thresholds are different. Also did you do a full factory reset? I know there's a lot of warnings for major version bumps and to not restore saved configurations.

As for range, I have to admit that I've never had to think about it. This thing overpowers everything in my vicinity and I'm still connected a couple of houses down from mine. It's been that way with every firmware. If what I said above about the factory reset or configuration restore is possible then that can potentially affect wireless performance.

Sorry I don't have any real insights though ...

Updated to Merlins latest firmware and tried to restrict access but am still having the same issue. Device when started had access restricted. A few moments later it was given access and moments after that it was restricted again.

This is driving me crazy..

I wish I could help. I've left my restrictions on and they have been reliable. 7pm on the dot my son walks in and sits next to me because fortnite has timed out ;)

The one thing I've noticed with devices that also have mobile data is that it will intermittently switch between them, giving the impression of a connection that's flapping. For proper testing I've had to turn off mobile data.

For something more definitive, maybe run a continuous ping from a wired pc to an internet IP and see if a scheduled block works as expected.

Sucks that it's been such a hassle ... Because this is nearly entirely a software feature I can't really imagine what would be the issue.

Yeah it's unusual. Just to clarify you enter parental controls/time Scheduling and then dark squares restrict time while light ones allow time? Just checking it's the same as mine.
See pic attached. I've emailed Asus about it aswell.
Screenshot_20190205-081446_Samsung Internet.jpg

Disabled Nat Acceleration and everything seems to be working the way I want it. Looking into the link you provided earlier states to have it set to auto if your isp speed is above 100M, I have a 300M line should or would it affect things?

test both settings with speedtest.net and watch difference if it is relevant to your needs.

Disabled Nat Acceleration and everything seems to be working the way I want it. Looking into the link you provided earlier states to have it set to auto if your isp speed is above 100M, I have a 300M line should or would it affect things?
Ah yep, I said so much stuff above you may have missed that. This is what got it going for me but I was concerned it may adversely affect connection speed for you.

Like Grisu said ... Check speed tests and maybe monitor CPU ... If it looks ok to you you're good.

I'm loving this feature now ... It just saves the whole "I'm in a round" discussion hehe

No issues tonight. Connection was turned off at 9 and the kids all walked into the sitting room and sat down. Amazing!! The is for your help and everyone that contributed.

Sorry, disabling CTF isn't what got it going but I did end up mentioning I disabled it as part of the whole process.

Most of the advanced filtering features require this to be disabled anyway for accurate reporting ... but my internet speed is lame and the performance hit definitely does not affect me ;)

No issues tonight. Connection was turned off at 9 and the kids all walked into the sitting room and sat down. Amazing!! The is for your help and everyone that contributed.
Haha ... Good stuff mate. It's a weird feeling not having to get vocal!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!