What's new

Similar soft for home-made NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kirygnc

New Around Here
Hello ppl,

I am trying to buy a NAS device similar with Qnap or Synology, coz i`ve seen their software have many features.
Although, i would like to have a similar software to install it on a PC ( home-made NAS ).

Could you help me with a similar software like the one from products Qnap or Synology?

P.S: So far i`ve found FreeNAS

Last edited:
I`ve search a little for all those programs features, but didnt see torrent support.
I would like to find a software similar with qnap / synology software with their features.

- multiple users ( add / delete, groups, etc )
- torrent support
- set disk space for user / group

Pretty sure FreeNAS supports all of that... No idea how the commercial interfaces work, and its been a while since I messed with FreeNAS (going to be taking another run at it here soon), but IIRC you can set it up where you can put a torrent file in a given folder, and it will automatically download the file(s) in question to a particular folder on the server. Unless you mean you want it to be a torrent *server*, which I didn't think was all that common...

The other stuff (users/groups/permissions) sounds fairly mundane - most eveything has those features.

Unless you mean you want it to be a torrent *server*, which I didn't think was all that common...

Didnt quite understand this part. Besides other things, yes, i would like to make a torrent seedbox ( torrent server ).

I watched again FreeNAS soft features, and he can support torrent ( transmission client ). Although, FreeNAS dont have a friendly interface imo.

Synology software ( DiskStation Manager v3 ) is java based, and really intuitive UI. I am still searching for a nicer looking UI.

If you can install a LAMP server on any of those, you could use TorrentFlux, which is a web-based torrent client.