What's new

Simple Port Forwarding Question RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jotpilot

New Around Here
Running 3.0.0.4.374.33 Merlin build.

Under WAN -> Virtual Server / Port Forwarding I have added and applied a service (uTorrent), port range and local port (both the same), local IP (definitely the correct machine) and protocol (both).

Thing is, the router just does not appear to actually forward my selected port. I have tried different random ports, rebooting the router etc. Sure I am being dumb, please help!

UPnP is off, obviously port set up correctly in uTorrent.

Thanks

Last edited:
Make sure your modem isn't also acting as a router, which would block connections before they even reach the RT-N66U.

Also make sure you did set "Enable Port Forwarding" to "Yes" on that same page.

Thanks RMerlin for the reply.

Don't think my modem can be doing anything; it is just a dumb BT Openreach VDSL modem (Huawei Echolife HG612).

Enable port forwarding is set to yes.

I'm stumped.

Thanks RMerlin for the reply.

Don't think my modem can be doing anything; it is just a dumb BT Openreach VDSL modem (Huawei Echolife HG612).

Enable port forwarding is set to yes.

I'm stumped.

If you're using a windows computer, I'm pretty sure you have to create a port exception in your windows firewall. Google "how to create a port exception windows firewall".

I don't know anything about your modem but most adsl/vdsl modems are NAT routers too. Maybe yours isn't.

Had to flash manufacturer firmware onto the modem to gain access (custom ISP firmware wouldn't allow it), switched off firewall and QoS (gaining me a nice increase in upload speed), but guess what, still can't port forward on the Asus.

I give up. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Had to flash manufacturer firmware onto the modem to gain access (custom ISP firmware wouldn't allow it), switched off firewall and QoS (gaining me a nice increase in upload speed), but guess what, still can't port forward on the Asus.

I give up. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

If you plug your computer directly into your modem, no router involved for this test, does utorrent then have the ports it needs to work?

If you go to GRC and run a shields up portscan does it see a pretty visible PC on your side?

This would be a good way to rule other things out.