What's new

Skynet Skynet - Router Firewall & Security Enhancements

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello, Skynet is somehow blocking steam.
What do I have to whitelist to use steam?

nothing is blocked on my router about steam but you can check logs and whitelist IP addresses that are blocked when you using steam.

Is Skynet using the whitelist form Ab-solution in /tmp/mnt/USB/adblocking/whitelist.txt?

Hello, Skynet is somehow blocking steam.
What do I have to whitelist to use steam?

Steam also works fine on my end, to find and unblock something use this guide

Could be a stupid question but i can't find neither on the 1st post nor in github how to use custom list. I remember some member sharing his recently. Thanks.

I can't duplicate the curl error message. I have tried about 10 installations to duplicate the error. Which is weird because the shared library error should be reproducible. I still have to force the Banmalware update to get any IP address and then blocking.

It's the test firmware that Merlin posted. I thought to mention the error for the install of Skynet here.

Finally was able to get the error message again on my 86U. I also notice when updating the number of IP addresses goes up and down?
[1-14]: 3

Select Option:
[1] --> Update
[2] --> Change Filter List
[3] --> Reset Filter List

[1-3]: 1

Downloading filter.list [1s]
Refreshing Whitelists [1s]
Consolidating Blacklist curl: error initializing curl
curl: try 'curl --help' for more informatcurl: error initializing curl
curl: try 'curl --help' for more information
/usr/sbin/curl: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot map zero-fill pages
ion
[9s]

Saving Changes [0s]
Removing Previous Malware Bans [1s]
Filtering IPv4 Addresses [1s]
Filtering IPv4 Ranges [0s]
Applying Blacklists [1s]

For False Positive Website Bans Use; ( sh /jffs/scripts/firewall whitelist domain URL )

Try it again and see if I get the same error message.... Nope....

[1-14]: 3

Select Option:
[1] --> Update
[2] --> Change Filter List
[3] --> Reset Filter List

[1-3]: 1

Downloading filter.list [0s]
Refreshing Whitelists [3s]
Consolidating Blacklist [6s]
Saving Changes [1s]
Removing Previous Malware Bans [1s]
Filtering IPv4 Addresses [1s]
Filtering IPv4 Ranges [0s]
Applying Blacklists [2s]

The number of IP's keeps changing when I update....
46150 IPs / 1472 Ranges Banned. 33516 New IPs / 1364 New Ranges Banned. 8630 Inbound / 4805 Outbound Connections Blocked!

Then I do a Banmalware manually.....
96218 IPs / 504 Ranges Banned. 50068 New IPs / -968 New Ranges Banned. 8630 Inbound / 4805 Outbound Connections Blocked!

Then I do a Banmalware manually again....
110788 IPs / 1781 Ranges Banned. 14570 New IPs / 1277 New Ranges Banned. 8640 Inbound / 4828 Outbound Connections Blocked!

Finally was able to get the error message again on my 86U. I also notice when updating the number of IP addresses goes up and down?

The lists banmalware sources from dynamic so there will always be slight variations. But the changes you are seeing I assume are due to curl failing to execute and download specific lists.

I also am unable to reproduce this myself. Considering its curl that's bugging out I'd consider this a firmware problem, try provide some information about your setup (any CPU intensive applications, what version of entware/third party packages etc)

The lists banmalware sources from dynamic so there will always be slight variations. But the changes you are seeing I assume are due to curl failing to execute and download specific lists.

I also am unable to reproduce this myself. Considering its curl that's bugging out I'd consider this a firmware problem, try provide some information about your setup (any CPU intensive applications, what version of entware/third party packages etc)

I have basically a standard setup, with no options like QOS or anything like that setup. No entware. I agree with you, most likely the test alpha firmware. curl is not happy.

I just replaced my 87U with the 86U and saw the alpha firmware for the 86U and tried it.

@Adamm, while searching for a way to backup everything that has been either black- or whitelisted manually, I found this post, regarding whitelisted IP's and domains. How would I restore them? By adding them one by one manually?

If so, would it be possible to create a backup and restore function? I make a habit out of clean installing, specifically when trying out alphas or betas, but it's quite some work to get everything back in Skynet again. Is there anyway you could make life a bit easier by adding a backup and restore function to the Skynet menu? If it's already there, please let me know how. I noticed the deport/import IP list, but I guess that's meant for backup purposes, right?

@Adamm, while searching for a way to backup everything that has been either black- or whitelisted manually, I found this post, regarding whitelisted IP's and domains. How would I restore them? By adding them one by one manually?

If so, would it be possible to create a backup and restore function? I make a habit out of clean installing, specifically when trying out alphas or betas, but it's quite some work to get everything back in Skynet again. Is there anyway you could make life a bit easier by adding a backup and restore function to the Skynet menu? If it's already there, please let me know how. I noticed the deport/import IP list, but I guess that's meant for backup purposes, right?

I'll work on adding something user friendly in the coming update. The easiest way for now to transfer your setup is to make copies of ipset.txt and skynet.log

I have basically a standard setup, with no options like QOS or anything like that setup. No entware. I agree with you, most likely the test alpha firmware. curl is not happy.

I just replaced my 87U with the 86U and saw the alpha firmware for the 86U and tried it.

I assume you have a swap file as I made it mandatory with the AC86U, and if so how big is it? Could be another memory related issue.

I've started on this in v5.8.0, there is now a backup and restore command;

Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/firewall debug backup

sh /jffs/scripts/firewall debug restore

Backing up will add ipset.txt and skynet.log to a tar file /jffs/Skynet-Backup.tar. While restoring will attempt to locate this file and restore it accordingly.

Code:

Backing up will add ipset.txt and skynet.log to a tar file /jffs/Skynet-Backup.tar. While restoring will attempt to locate this file and restore it accordingly.
Another awesome feature!! Thanks @Adamm your work is greatly appreciated!

Code:

You rock @Adamm ! Thanks for this incredibly fast implementation :)

I assume you have a swap file as I made it mandatory with the AC86U, and if so how big is it? Could be another memory related issue.

Yes, I setup the swap file(FAT Partition). I did a reboot of the 86u and the curl problem has not come back. It even downloaded the full list of IP's. I'll keep trying to get it to fail with the curl error...

Code:

@Adamm, I made a backup and restored it on a fresh install of 384.3 this morning, about 6 hours ago. Restoring appeared to have succeeded:
Code:
Restoring Skynet Backup...

tmp/mnt/DTSE9/skynet/scripts/ipset.txt
tmp/mnt/DTSE9/skynet/skynet.log

Backup Restored
Restarting Firewall Service

Done.

However, Skynet still shows
Code:
Feb 19 15:33:39 Skynet: [Complete] 0 IPs / 0 Ranges Banned. 0 New IPs / 0 New Ranges Banned. 0 Inbound / 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [20s]

I tried manual restarting Skynet again, but it still shows the same. Lookings like autobanning doesn't work either?

For what it's worth:
  • I made a backup on 380.69_2 and restored it on 384.3.
  • I restored the backup on the different USB drive (different label as well), then where I made it.
Not sure whether this is relevant, but just to be sure..

I restored the backup on the different USB drive (different label as well), then where I made it.

For now Skynet will attempt to place the files in their original paths (so if the label changed it will be going to the old directory). This will be improved in future but for now its just a start.

For now Skynet will attempt to place the files in their original paths (so if the label changed it will be going to the old directory). This will be improved in future but for now its just a start.

But it hasn't restored them to /mnt/DTSE9/skynet/* (which was the old mount point). Can I just shut Skynet down, manually copy them to /mnt/<newdevice>/skynet and /mnt/<newdevice>/skynet/scripts/ and then fire up Skynet again? Would that work?

But it hasn't restored them to /mnt/DTSE9/skynet/* (which was the old mount point).

It should have, the backup command preserves the original directory structure in a tar file.

Can I just shut Skynet down, manually copy them to /mnt/<newdevice>/skynet and /mnt/<newdevice>/skynet/scripts/ and then fire up Skynet again? Would that work?

Yes

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!