What's new

Slow speed from AX210 to Asus RT88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rodja123

New Around Here
This is my first post. Hello!
I have been pretty puzzled by the speed I am able to get from from Intel AX210 devices connected to an Asus RT-A88U Pro on the Wi-Fi 6 on 5Ghz band

To make the story short. I have a small server with 2.5Ghz wired connection to the Asus Router. The server is running iperf3 server
I put a laptop with AX210 right next to the router, verify on windows that the signal is optimal and the negotiated speed is 2400Mbps
Run iperf3 client and get ~550Mbps. If I use the parallel option I can go up to ~1.5Mbps
I put my pixel 6a right next to the router, verify on Android that the signal is optimal and the negotiated speed is 2400Mbps
Run iperf3 client and get ~1.35Gbps. If I use the parallel option I can go up to ~1.75Gbps

Why? What I am missing in the AX210? I tried other devices with AX200 and AX211 and it's the same ~550Mbps.

Thank you all.

EDIT: Retested and updated the numbers.

Last edited:
Hello!

I updated the driver and the results did not change. However, I did narrow down the problem to... Windows!

I booted my laptop with a Linux live image and I can get 1.3Gbps single thread and 1.7Gbps multithread.

Now the question is: why is the Windows single thread perf so low?

Last edited:
Try a different test. Microsoft recently published a post indicating that iperf was a bad way to test throughput with WIndows, in part because the current build of iperf is old and not optimized in any way for Win32. Try doing a large file copy over SMB for instance. My own AX210/AX211 had no issue giving me in the 1.5-2.0 Gb/s throughput when copying files, with the laptop running Windows 11.

Some insight here...

ntttcp is a suitable substitute for iperf2/3 on Win systems...

A bit curious though how iperf3 would work on WSL with Ubuntu, as that network path thru the NT kernel is a bit different than NT (Windows) userland...

I put a laptop with AX210 right next to the router, verify on windows that the signal is optimal and the negotiated speed is 2400Mbps
Run iperf3 client and get ~550Mbps. If I use the parallel option I can go up to ~1.5Mbps

FWIW - you're actually not that slow - the 2400Mbps is the PHY rate, not the upper layer IP whether it is TCP or UDP...

iperf2/3 - yes, you need to push parallel streams to get a decent feel for throughput, as a single stream itself might not push enough data to kick a wireless interface into full speed...

FWIW - you're actually not that slow - the 2400Mbps is the PHY rate, not the upper layer IP whether it is TCP or UDP...
Yeah ... rule of thumb is you can get about two-thirds of the PHY rate in sustained real-world throughput, so 1.5 to 1.7Gbps is just about what to expect. The rest of it goes to packet overhead and listen-before-talk rules.

Hm, I wonder if Microsoft or Intel broke something. I used to be able to get well over 150 MB/s a few months ago. Now, I can download over 150 MB/s, but upload are only around 60-70 MB/s, despite having Throughput Booster enabled.

I am aware of this and I am not complaining about the multi-threaded iperf3 performance. I was just surprised of the difference between my phone's (and linux's) single threaded and windows' single threaded performance.

Anyway, you did point me to the right direction. I was using an outdated version of iperf3 (3.1.3). I grabbed the latest one (3.17.1) and voila' problem solved

Thank you all!

1716046284298.png

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!