What's new

Smallest portable WiFi with gigabit WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jacek

New Around Here
Hello Everyone
First time poster- thank you for this opportunity!!!!
:)I have a very specific application that requires attaching router to a camera with gigabit port. I would like to access that port through WiFi and the camera manufacturer claims that 10/100 routers won't work only gigabit. I bought couple of tiny routers to try but the WAN port on those is 10/100 even though they claim 300Mbs 802.11N wifi (?)
Two questions:
Is there a tiny portable USB powered wifi router with gigabit WAN?
Is there a way to "cheat " the camera ethernet port into thinking that there is a gigabit router plugged into it?
I don't see the need for speed since I only will be controlling camera parameters through Wifi not downloading loads of data...:confused:

"USB powered wifi router"

I'm stuck on this point.

I'm wondering if some kind of bridge device (like a TrendNet TEW-687) is a concept? But this is AC-powered, not USB.

Maybe we need specific camera info?

(I suppose a crossover cable would work as the Ethernet from Camera to Computer as long as the computer was expecting a peer device.)

Last edited:
Camera

What camera is it? I have never heard of one that only supports gigabit.
It's a RED Epic camera
Here is the link to the manual:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/red_3/downloads/manuals/DSMC_Operation_Guide_v5.2_Rev-F.pdf
And the SDK:
http://www.red.com/docs/910-0046 Rev-J RED ENG, REDLINK Command Protocol Reference Guide.pdf
I'll look through the documents and retrieve the parts that specifically deal with the Ethernet port specs and post them here.
Thank you!!!

OK, thanks for those specs. I have a better idea about the camera now. (And obviously a standard crossover cable won't work because camera's been fitted with a propriety ethernet connector on its end. I don't think there's any need to go deeper into the camera's Ethernet specs, either - the SDK spells that out.)

When this camera is used, what WiFi services are available ordinarily? If you're in a remote location, there has to be some source of AC power, yes?

Last edited:
OK, thanks for those specs. I have a better idea about the camera now. (And obviously a standard crossover cable won't work because camera's been fitted with a propriety ethernet connector on its end. I don't think there's any need to go deeper into the camera's Ethernet specs, either - the SDK spells that out.)

When this camera is used, what WiFi services are available ordinarily? If you're in a remote location, there has to be some source of AC power, yes?
No unfortunately this is for portable application and control from a tablet with WiFi. There is 14V and 5V power available from the camera. Also every ounce and of weight and volume (bulk) counts hence the "smallest router" question.
I just got this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231299936652?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
It's really tiny about 2x2x1/2"-that would be ideal size
I'll test it but won't have my hopes too high since the WAN port is 10/100...
So no way I could "cheat" the camera into thinking this is a Gb port?

Here's a HooToo option... I haven't dug deeper to see if this is a gigabyte ethernet port.
Thank you for your help!!!
Yes I've seen those- that's a great self powered option. I've done some research and it seems to me that all these tiny portable routers are made based on the same board design with 10/100 WAN.
Gigabit is a different animal and is promptly advertised if present in a router.....
I'll ask about it as well...:confused:

You've found the "real price" of these items, too! They will probably be sold in the range of $40-50.

Keep looking - some vendor will pick them up - sometimes, FirstInAsia is a source for products like these.

J, overnight distilling of thoughts.

Since this is "controlled by a tablet with WiFi", what is the purpose of the Ethernet - I mean, in your mind? What special need does the Ethernet service provide (other than higher-speed transmission)?

If it's a tablet-application, then it's probably also a notebook application, yes?

And certainly a notebook would have an Ethernet (RJ 45) connector that this camera's propriety Ethernet connector could use.

I'm just wondering what services that Ethernet connection would provide that WiFi can't.

One other thought about those 're-chargeable routers'... you realize, of course, you'd need at least two of those, then. One would be recharging (for hours and hours) while the other was being used. You could end up with 3, in fact, if Recharge Time was close to Discharge (actual use) Time.

These units also will have batteries that wear out over time, as well.

For all I know, that "10000 unit purchase" level might be a Single Consumer's annual needs! haha

I'm locating more USB-Powered Routers...

I did a brief search on "usb powered routers" and came up with a handful. It's amazing that few of these specify "10/100" in their RJ-45 connects, as if it's understood these are only "10/100".

Then again, this isn't a surprise to you, J.

Hello Everyone
First time poster- thank you for this opportunity!!!!
:)I have a very specific application that requires attaching router to a camera with gigabit port. I would like to access that port through WiFi and the camera manufacturer claims that 10/100 routers won't work only gigabit. I bought couple of tiny routers to try but the WAN port on those is 10/100 even though they claim 300Mbs 802.11N wifi (?)
Two questions:
Is there a tiny portable USB powered wifi router with gigabit WAN?
Is there a way to "cheat " the camera ethernet port into thinking that there is a gigabit router plugged into it?
I don't see the need for speed since I only will be controlling camera parameters through Wifi not downloading loads of data...:confused:
camera would connect to LAN, not WAN. So focus on the LAN ports.
Camera willl work fine on non-Gigabit connection.

My weekend chatterheads side with Steve on this - "Gigabit won't matter" is their guess because 10/100/1000 all have Retransmit functions - collisions, NoAck, dropped packets - those are all commonplace and there's gotta be enough memory in the camera to handle those teeny packets, over and over again -'1000' isn't ten times greater in actual thru-put.

But those little router-dongles - those are pretty interesting for someone like me who'd never noticed how many they are. All so shiny and modern. All with 10/100 only. Amazing. I can't wait until they arrive in the 21st Century.

Duck Dodgers, indeed.

On the WAN side, few/no one would have > 100Mbps ISP service, so no need.
LAN Side, gigE nice to have, but a cheap gigE switch connected to the router will do the same. But only if 2+ LAN devices need and have gigE interfaces to swap data on the LAN side.

Have you thought about using something like a high-capacity power bank (link)? If you ran a 1A (1,000 mA) router off of that, you'd get about 11 hours of use. I know it's not the most convenient from a usability standpoint, but just a thought. :)

I know you are looking for the smallest possible, but a relatively small and light gigabit router powered by a 12v battery could be workable. Should be more than 2-3lbs for a battery pack and the router. Could easily be belt/back mounted (or attached to camera tripod, etc). Most of the "lower end" gigabit 11n routers only use 3-4w of power, so a 12v C/D cell battery pack might only weigh 2-3lbs and be able to supply 5-8hrs of power.

wow... 15 bucks...

and the form factor - perhaps you've discovered the new Airport Nano :D

Attachments

• cheap_router.png
    cheap_router.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
I remain curious about the application/services that this camera-rig needs to deliver - what the end-product will be. I assume that large file-transfers are needed so constantly.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!