What's new

Smart connect rules, leave at defaults?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

urbanracer34

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

I have an GT-AX6000 and I was thinking of enabling Smart Connect. I am getting tired of having 2 separate SSID, one for 2.5 and one for 5.

The rules that come by default with Smart Connect, are they good enough for most uses?

Thanks!

urban

Yes. But I would advise taking a settings backup before you change anything and before you make changes to the SmartConnect settings.

OK! How do I do that? It's been a while.

EDIT: "Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting" Is this the right option?

Last edited:
Hello!

I have an GT-AX6000 and I was thinking of enabling Smart Connect. I am getting tired of having 2 separate SSID, one for 2.5 and one for 5.

The rules that come by default with Smart Connect, are they good enough for most uses?

Thanks!

urban
You can combine Ssid and still turn smart connect off - that’s what I do and rely on the devices themselves to choose the right signal. I found smart connect problematic with apple devices especially; they perform better if they make the choice.

You can combine Ssid and still turn smart connect off - that’s what I do and rely on the devices themselves to choose the right signal. I found smart connect problematic with apple devices especially; they perform better if they make the choice.
Enabling the WiFi Agile Multiband setting may help too.

I have many apple devices so that can be a problem with enabling smart connect.

How do I combine the SSID again?

How do I combine the SSID again?

Options:

1. Smart Connect enabled; define same SSID for each WLAN. Clients band steer, subject to Smart Connect.

2. Smart Connect disabled; define same SSID for each WLAN. Clients band steer.

3. Smart Connect disabled; define different SSID for each WLAN. User band steers/segregates clients/traffic.

You are not combining SSIDs... you are only naming them the same or differently. When named the same, clients only display them as one connection option (so-called 'combined').

OE

Last edited:
This is the option I would pick. How do I do this? It's been a while.

Just do it... it's obvious... disable Smart Connect and enter the same SSID name for each WLAN.

You may discover a particular client will not cooperate as you would like... i.e., connects to the unpreferred band, which is why Smart Connect exists.

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!