What's new

Smart connect settings for rooms with poor 5ghz signal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So you have the RSSI as a positive number? That's not going to do much, if anything. The best the signal strength can be is zero and you'd have to be on top of the router to even have a chance at that vaunted number.

don't forget that the client device controls when the switch happens. All the AP can do is nudge.

Correct and that nudge is called a drop!

So you have the RSSI as a positive number? That's not going to do much, if anything. The best the signal strength can be is zero and you'd have to be on top of the router to even have a chance at that vaunted number.
Negative now, caught the error when I was looking at screen shots. It actually steered in positive numbers but that's probably when I set the steering to be less than in the first column. Now it's doing nothing at all on negative numbers.

It steered in positive numbers only when I'm in the same room as the router.

[Update]:
On negative numbers, the only way I got it to steer was right now and I'm also in the same room as the router.

Going to test to see how it is throughout the house. Roaming assistant disabled on all bands (2.4, 5_1, and 5_2)

[Update #2]:
So far so good, two clients now on Wifi6. Rebooted both AiMesh routers and turned WiFi on and off for the clients. Upstairs router gets kicked to half bandwidth all the time riding 100(106) probably from interference on the DFS channels and the basement router is doing fine at 100(114).

Disabled OFDMA + MU-MIMO. Still have Explicitly (ac/ax) beamforming enabled.

[Update #3]:
Turned off Smart Connect and just broke out Wifi6 on it's own SSID name. Tired of messing around with band steering and STX not doing anything when all conditions are met.

Last edited:
To reduce the frequent switching between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks, one can consider adding mesh nodes and connecting the entire house to a 5 GHz network. This way, there is no need to worry about unstable networks or frequent network switching. Additionally, since 5 GHz network speed is significantly faster than 2.4 GHz, the latter can be reserved for low-speed IoT and other smart devices, which can help to more effectively utilize network bandwidth.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online