What's new

So much for VPNs - Except when used for Android devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
This has been out there for some time, and has been heavily exploited...

Neat trick of this particular item is the DHCP Option 121, which can override the default routes...

Here's the catch, it doesn't have to be on the LAN side, this can be upstream...

Android is immune because they didn't implement the DHCP standard completely. Lol

Android is immune because they didn't implement the DHCP standard completely. Lol

I was going to suggest the same thing - Android lucked out because they use a very limited set of options for their DHCP client daemon...

Would be interesting to see if this happens on ChromeBooks with Android and Linux support - those have always been interesting as FrankenBooks due to the network config juggling there...

The android subsystem and linux/crostinu usually are link-local or NAT'ed as a 10dot for IPv4 when running on Chromebooks, but IPv6 is native for some configs - oddly enough, I can run an Android native VPN client on top of ChromeOS, and have access over the VPN for native ChromeOS.

Reactions: Gar
This does imply, if I understand correctly, a malicious actor already has access to either the client side LAN or the server side LAN. If that’s the case you already have problems. Trust no hotspot.

Last edited:
This does imply, if I understand correctly.a malicious actor already has access to either the client side LAN or the server side LAN. If that’s the case you already have problems. Trust no hotspot.

Actually it doesn't - if your router/AP is compromised, or upstream is as well - well, you still have a problem.

It'll be interesting to see how the VPN Service Providers respond to this...

Actually it doesn't - if your router/AP is compromised, or upstream is as well - well, you still have a problem.

It'll be interesting to see how the VPN Service Providers respond to this...
I see it now. The Leviathan website was jumping around every other time I scrolled on my phone. I wonder if OS vendors will do anything as it's working as intended, other than Android. I definitely improved my understanding of DHCP servers this evening.

Yes, and how many IoT devices don't?

It'll be interesting to it will be interesting to see the VPN Service Providers respond to this...
it will be interesting to see if and when any VPN providers respond . I will not hold my breath

Before everybody gets up in arms... this scenario is only likely if a rogue DHCP server is interfering with your devices on your own LAN. According to the authors that discovered the vulnerability:

"VPNs were not designed to mitigate LAN attacks on the physical network and to promise otherwise is dangerous."

But it does make you think twice about connecting to an untrusted wifi network in order to VPN to a secure location. Better break out that mobile wifi hotspot instead!

Who knows. Who cares. Do IoT devices need to use VPN?
People using them for geolocation services on streaming devices. A lot of which run on android of some sort. That is if you consider a streaming stick an IoT device, and not just doorbells and lightbulbs.

People using them for geolocation services on streaming devices. A lot of which run on android of some sort. That is if you consider a streaming stick an IoT device, and not just doorbells and lightbulbs.
Possibly. Again... is there any built-in need for something like this to natively use VPN with a possibly not-fully-implemented DHCP standard? Because if not, then this has no bearing on the VPN issue being discussed here.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!