What's new

Socks5 proxy on a router (UDP/TDP config)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sexyc

New Around Here
Hello, I am a new member here and not a technical user, so I would appreciate any guidance here!

I was wondering if there is a way to set up a SOCKS5 protocol proxy on a third party router (Netgear, GLi.net, etc) that typically only allows OpenVPN (UDP/TCP) configs

Is there any solution or workaround?

Thanks in advance!

Well SSH can serve as a sock5 proxy, either local or remote. So if you have ssh access to the router, and if the ssh server has not be intentionally crippled to prevent it (many routers use a lightweight version of ssh called dropbear, and often strip out certain features due to limited resources on the router), that would be a means to establish a socks5 proxy on the router. Of course, it might be difficult to automate this process so it was configured, started, and available upon each reboot. That's where third-party firmware becomes extremely handy.

All that said, what specifically are you trying to accomplish? What's the bigger picture here? For all we know, you're taking the wrong approach, esp. if (according to you) you are NOT a technical user. Seems to me you're a bit far down into the weeds at the moment.

Well SSH can serve as a sock5 proxy, either local or remote. So if you have ssh access to the router, and if the ssh server has not be intentionally crippled to prevent it (many routers use a lightweight version of ssh called dropbear, and often strip out certain features due to limited resources on the router), that would be a means to establish a socks5 proxy on the router. Of course, it might be difficult to automate this process so it was configured, started, and available upon each reboot. That's where third-party firmware becomes extremely handy.

All that said, what specifically are you trying to accomplish? What's the bigger picture here? For all we know, you're taking the wrong approach, esp. if (according to you) you are NOT a technical user. Seems to me you're a bit far down into the weeds at the moment.
Hello, thanks for replying! The end goal would be to browse the internet wirelessly on devices connected via WiFi to a router which routes the traffic through a SOCKS5 protocol proxy. Most commercially available routers that I know of cannot support this off-the-shelf.

I also understand the easiest technical route would be to use an app (shadowrocket, for example) but I want to explore the possibility of doing so via a commercially available router.

Being non-technical, I couldn't do this myself but if feasible, I would like to explore this further with the appropriate skilled people.

Thanks!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!