What's new

SOLVED: Need a little help with Port Forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

howie411

Regular Contributor
So I got an IP Camera, and I got the directions on how to set up my router so I can access the camera from outside of my network, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I was told to set the camera as a static IP which I did (192.168.1.100) and I was told to open ports, 80, 554 and 50000-60000 (see screenshot).

I know what my local real IP address is (and if I type it on a machine connected to my network) I can login to the camera, but if I try it from work, friends etc the IP address doesn't work.

Is there something else I need to do so I can access the camera from outside my network?

Attachments

• port forwarding.jpg
    port forwarding.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 698
So I got an IP Camera, and I got the directions on how to set up my router so I can access the camera from outside of my network, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I was told to set the camera as a static IP which I did (192.168.1.100) and I was told to open ports, 80, 554 and 50000-60000 (see screenshot).

I know what my local real IP address is (and if I type it on a machine connected to my network) I can login to the camera, but if I try it from work, friends etc the IP address doesn't work.

Is there something else I need to do so I can access the camera from outside my network?

In the router you can setup NoIp feature helps remote directly with your home network devices. This is how I was able to be a on Cruise Ship out in the near US Virgin Islands and I was able to connect to my Network via Ships WiFi Network over SAT communications. Instead of using the default 192.xx.xx.xx you would say in my case http://tipstir-home.net:8080/network device or folder.

It works..On your work network if they're not firewall or not using a Bluecoat Web Content filter. You can get around that buy changing the IE exceptions or use the Proxy door way. Most companies have have a backdoor. Most of the Network Engineer or NT Admin would have such a backdoor method. To access your home network thought the companies Domain.

When outside your network, you need to use your router's WAN IP address to reach the camera.

Note that the IP address can change. Using a dynamic DNS service will let you use a domain name instead of IP that will automatically track IP address changes.

Ddns

The IP you are trying to connect to is in the range of private IP addresses reserved to assign IP addresses locally on a LAN. There are probably thousands if not millions of devices in the world with exactly the same IP address on every Tom, Dick and Harry's LAN.

This is not the IP address your ISP assigns to your router when it is connected to the WAN. Secondly even if you try to connect using the WAN's IP as assigned by your ISP it most likely frequently changes. Most ISPs do not assign static IPs, though for a price you might be able to get them to do so.

One solution is to use the DDNS setup on your router which allows you to access your network using a domain name.

One such provider of this service DynDNS.org.

Another option is to see if your camera's manufacture offers an intermediate web site where you can view your camera while on line.

Good luck.

Last edited:
So I am using my correct local IP address (its 68.100.58.105) what I'm saying is if I type that IP address at home (on any computer) it ask me to login to the Camera. If I type that Ip address from work or anywhere else it just times out. My ISP doesnt switch your IP address often, I want to get it working normally before adding a dynamic DNS into the mix.

try running a tracert from the computer you are having problems with and your WAN IP.
That will tell you where the connection is failing.

It could be that your ISP is filtering ports (some ISPs filter inbound 80 and 25). Try changing the external port to 8080. You will have to append a colon and port to the URL to access the camera if you change the port, so it'd be http://68.100.58.105:8080

Is it failing at the hop right before it hits my router. Its almost like the router is not letting anything see it, even though the ports are forwarded. Is there another setting on the router I would need to turn on/off?

Most consumer routers block WAN ping, so there's likely nothing amiss indicated by the drop at the last hop.

Static lan ip

For port forwarding to consistently work you need to assign your camera a static IP on your LAN.

It would probably be best to assign an IP outside the DHCP range in your router.

If your router is set up to assign IPs in the range 192.168.1.100 - 149 set your camera to 192.168.1.160 then adjust your port forwarding to forward the required ports to 160.

If you are still having problems put your camera in the DMZ. Depending what your camera is being used for and what it is picking up you may want to undo this once you get everything working.

Static IP on device / PC, or
DHCP IP address reservation - most home routers support this. It's easier to manage this way.

Could be the software the OP using too.

So finally figured out the issue, my ISP Cox Communications blocks port 80, so I had to change the port on the camera and then forward that port on the router. it sucks now I gotta type XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:8080 but at least its working.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!