What's new

Some strange issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Beefcrinkle

Occasional Visitor
Hello all I am having some strange issues with my wireless setup. For starters I will list what I have.

Modem SB6121(motorola docis 3.0)
Router Asus N56u (padavan latest firmware as of 1/24/2014)
Adapter for pc Asus n-15

Now for the issue. I have been getting some low speeds and did a speed test and I can get anywhere from 20 mbps to 30 depending on time of day, But on my phone I can get 48-55mbps (I have a 50/10 plan) Now my phone is on the 5ghz of the router while my pc is on 2.4. And my router will stop allowing a remote connection to the admin panel. I have to unplug and plug it back in to login. The internet will remain working but I cannot get to admin panel. I have thought about getting a dual band adapter for my pc but I would like to here from some people that have any ideas of what else it could be

Thank

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are the devices located? Any competing networks nearby?

If you are several rooms over from your router on your computer compared to being in the same room with the router, testing with your phone, that makes a huge difference. If both are located in the same room with the router and those are the speed differences you are getting, I'd suspect either other networks stepping on yours in the 2.4GHz band, or some kind of bad misconfiguration with your computer.

Resonable close to the router, on 2.4GHz and even 20MHz channel width, you should easily be able to max out a 50/10 connection.

I push over 160Mbps actual through-put between my laptop with an Intel 7260 802.11ac adapter in it and my Netgear 3500L router (2.4GHz only router and 802.11n). That is with 2:2 stream and 40MHz channel width. At least when I am close to it.

It'll peg 156-170Mbps downstream and about the same upstream (no competing networks though for me).

Across the house I'll still get at least 12-20Mbps (though I have a second router over there to solve the low signal strength issues, so if that one isn't disabled, it'll connect over to that one, which is also a Netgear 3500l, but set to 20MHz and a different channel, where I'll get around 100Mbps through put on it with my laptop).

If you're able to move the antenna off the PCIe adaptor, you can position them to where the signal is much stronger.

Did the Asus n-15 kit come with extension cables for the antenna?

That is where I would start.

Yep the phone are in the same room as my pc. The phone is on the 5g signal of my router though. I live in a suburb so there are pretty close houses/networks. It is either an antenna placement issue since my pc faces a wall and i can only face them a certain way, And my phone being a more direct view of the signal. do they make an antenna to hook into the card?

Sounds like getting a 5ghz adapter for your PC is a really good idea on your part.

You probably have interference on 2.4 ghz. Most people set their 2.4 ghz channel width to "20 MHz". And use inSSIDer to find the best channel.

There's tens of thousands of posts similar to yours with all brands of wireless routers if you do a forum search.

Good luck.

Yep the phone are in the same room as my pc. The phone is on the 5g signal of my router though. I live in a suburb so there are pretty close houses/networks. It is either an antenna placement issue since my pc faces a wall and i can only face them a certain way, And my phone being a more direct view of the signal. do they make an antenna to hook into the card?

No matter 2.4 or 5GHz (IMO, you need not go to 5GHz hardware, for sound tech. reasons) - I do urge you to get a commonplace low cost DECT 6 cordless phone. These aren't in the WiFi bands. And they work quite well.

No matter 2.4 or 5GHz (IMO, you need not go to 5GHz hardware, for sound tech. reasons) - I do urge you to get a commonplace low cost DECT 6 cordless phone. These aren't in the WiFi bands. And they work quite well.

Dont have a home phone just a cell. Looks like messing with the direction of my antennas has made a substantial speed increase.

I also used inSSIDer to pick a channel when I had moved in. so I am on the least congested channel. looks my issues with wireless connection is resolved for the time being