What's new

Sony STR-DN1040 AVR cannot connect to my network, help needed...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

synnyster

New Around Here
Alright guys, I'm at my wits end on why this simple procedure is not working. Let me preface this with the equipment I'm running and how it is configured. I have 2 Netgear WNR3500v2 routers running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std-usb-ftp - build 14896. Everything prior to me getting the Sony AVR works flawlessly. I have the 2 routers connected via a Linksys PLEK500 powerline kit. Both routers are APs using the same SSID and WPA2 (TIK+AES) key. I have several devices wired and wirelessly connected to both routers. The wireless devices include an android phone, a windows phone, a windows laptop, 2 Sony bluray players, a Sony TV, and a Sony chromecast.

So I purchased a brand new Sony STR-DN1040 receiver. Upon setting it up and inputting the network info for wifi, it fails to connect. I tried letting it automatically get the IP and inputting a static IP. I've tried setting the IP in the router settings for the MAC address. I've rebooted several times. The receiver will connect via a cat5 cable to my router. So I updated the AVR firmware and retried everything. Nothing works. So I figured this must be a defective unit. I sent it back and had a new one shipped to me.

So I got the new one yesterday and plugged it all up and was excited to get it running. Then I run into the exact same issue. It just fails to connect to my network. So I called up Sony support, they run me through some standard procedures (checking WPA2 key is exactly matching, static vs dynamic IP). The first level tech support couldn't help, so they transferred me to 2nd level. After doing some more things, they still could not figure it out.

So my last hope is experts here. I suspect there is something in my router settings maybe that is prohibiting for some reason this AVR to connect. It is just odd though since I have 2 brand new Sony bluray players and a brand new Sony TV that connect to the network just fine. The routers are running N mode only and the channel is set to auto (I've changed the channel to specific ones and that didn't work either).

If anyone has the time to help me troubleshoot this that would be great. I'm a techie but I'm not very knowledgeable in networking. I can take screenshots of my settings if needed. Thanks in advance.

Just a couple of quick suggestions:

Change the ssid of your wireless networks (unique for 2.4GHz and 5GHz) and ensure there are no spaces or other special characters.

Change the security to WPA2 AES (only).

I've tried both suggestions. Changed the SSID to just all caps no spaces and it's short at only 4 Chars. My router only is 2.4ghz. I've also set the secruity to AES only. I went ahead and changed the channels of my routers. Main is now at channel 1 and the secondary AP is channel 11. I've read you should do this to avoid issues. Everything still works fine, just the darn AVR won't connect.

i gotta say, that's a pretty badass receiver. i tried looking up the wifi specs of that thing and didn't find much. that said, for how nice that product is, i'd seriously consider running a wire out to it. seems like a waste to connect it wirelessly

i gotta say, that's a pretty badass receiver. i tried looking up the wifi specs of that thing and didn't find much. that said, for how nice that product is, i'd seriously consider running a wire out to it. seems like a waste to connect it wirelessly

Yeah, I'm probably going to get another Powerline adapter and hook it up to a switch. What sucks is the Plek500 only is sold in pairs so I'd have to pony up another $110 for the pair. But it is frustrating why this thing just won't connec to my routers.

A weird thing happened while I was on the phone with tech support. I had messed up my router settings so it was all down. My chromecast however was showing up as a network since it could not connect to my router. My AVR was able to connect to the chromecast and get an IP.

I contemplated for a second to install Tomato on my routers, but I did not want to go through the hassle of setting everything back up and flashing firmware.

Hi,
My AVR is Anthem and I wirelessly access it w/o any issues. Really it only has Ethernet port
but wireless set up works just fine for Internet radios.

Aha, I had a quick scan on Sony forum and looks like this is the way. Set up using wired connection. Once it's done using web browser on one of your PC connected to the network, go to IP address of the receiver then you'll get web UI for set up, there set up the wireless config. Looks like there is problem
entering ssid, password, etc. on all STR-DNxx series receiver. Hope it helps. For more details Google Sony forum.

Last edited:
Hi,
My AVR is Anthem and I wirelessly access it w/o any issues. Really it only has Ethernet port
but wireless set up works fine for Internet radios. Maybe OP should try the receiver closer to the router. Tried to ping the Sony? All speakers can be disconnected w/o any harm done to the receiver if you want to move it for temporary.

The distance from the router is not the issue. I've moved it next to the router. I have several other Sony devices that is in its final destination upstairs that can connect to it fine. I can stream 1080p DTS audio from plex to the Sony tv or the bluray player right next to it. The problem is the AVR will not even pick up an IP address.

In DDWRT under the Status tab, there is a Wireless tab. In this section there is a tool called wiviz survery. When I had the AVR trying to connect to the network, this tool actually was able to detect the MAC address. It could see it searching but it would never assign it an IP. Like I said, I've tried static IP on the router and setting it within the AVR. Nothing seems to work. It's a real stumper.

Re-read TonyH's post above yours: I didn't think to suggest it myself.

Re-read TonyH's post above yours: I didn't think to suggest it myself.

I actually did this already too. No luck. The reason that part is suggested is when you have char symbols in your password. The Sony GUI interface only allows for certain symbols. If you have symbols in your SSID or PW, you would need to do that. But like I said, I had tried that already as well.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!