What's new

Speed and range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TonyH

Very Senior Member
If I am not wrong most subjects revolving around regarding WiFi is speed and range. For me, I really don't need more speed but reliability. Range? I never used more than one router to cover my whole house. For some of you speed and range must be affecting you and your family quality of life? I am just wondering.

WiFi is speed and range. For me, I really don't need more speed but reliability.

what you fail to understand is the three go hand in hand , with better range and thus throughput you get better reliability , the client devices connect better and stay connected longer and with less issues

if however the size of the dwelling is too great for a single transmission to cover adequately and by adequately i mean where clients can connect at least more that 50% of their sync rate there is a case that in those cases a second transmission in another part of the dwelling will resolve these low sync levels

I never used more than one router to cover my whole house.
then you must have a small house or are not phased by low sync rates and or poor performance due to the low sync rates

For some of you speed and range must be affecting you and your family quality of life?

yer a strange man tony lol , having good wireless coverage and performance and reliability actually improves the quality of life for everyone as there are no complaints and everyone just gets on with their internet life

Last edited:
what you fail to understand is the three go hand in hand , with better range and thus throughput you get better reliability , the client devices connect better and stay connected longer and with less issues

if however the size of the dwelling is too great for a single transmission to cover adequately and by adequately i mean where clients can connect at least more that 50% of their sync rate there is a case that in those cases a second transmission in another part of the dwelling will resolve these low sync levels

then you must have a small house or are not phased by low sync rates and or poor performance due to the low sync rates

yer a strange man tony lol , having good wireless coverage and performance and reliability actually improves the quality of life for everyone as there are no complaints and everyone just gets on with their internet life

Strange alright. There are many other finer things in life. After almost 50 years working in the related field, I had enough of it. Back then I was like you now. Time to enjoy rest of my retired life. I am not in rat race any more for long time. Looking forward to watching my grand son grow up and go to college. You may become strange man when you reach my age. By then
probably I'll be watching you from the other side of the world, LOL!

Last edited:
Perspective is everything. :)

I agree with both of you. A balance for each individual is needed. ;)

... the three go hand in hand , with better range and thus throughput you get better reliability , the client devices connect better and stay connected longer and with less issues
Wow ... I think you nailed it!

Preventative Maintenance (fix it before it breaks) or ... fix it after it breaks. Fortunately, for many of us, the low end stuff the ISP/vendor installs works well enough (for our needs) that we never pay the price for uh benign neglect.

Others with bigger houses, higher end needs, bigger families, congested -apartment / condo / city dwellers- living arrangements (competing for channels on 2.4Ghz) and so on ... may well wind up needing to fix things someday.

Or maybe it's the service that breaks but your ISP simply tells you it's your problem. If you haven't done the basics then how do you defend yourself against the experts?

Again, most of us will never pay the consequences. If the Internet is important to you then get the oil change. If the Internet is of little importance then just spin the wheel ... you'll probably be fine.

(Myself, I'm an old man and -like many old people- I don't like surprises so I spent a little time up front reducing the chance of a surprise / reducing the impact of a surprise. And, to my pleasant surprise, it was fun learning something new.)

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!