What's new

SSD drive not detected/mounted on RT-AX88U Pro after router's reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe a temporary workaround is to write up some sort of script that gets called at router boot (after the firmware does it thing) and which checks for the USB drive; and if the USB drive is not found, the script attempts to mount it.
Yes!
That was what I asked: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/post-916447
but then, as you can read next post below the one I pasted above:
"If the router does not detect the drive during boot a script will not help."
So who is right? :)
Is it possible to script the logic of trigger to detect attached USB drives and do the mounting after a router is rebooted or not?
This is the question, but, yes, I like this idea of scripting - it might be useful in such cases of "bad" OS released by Asus that cause the issue with detecting/mounting USB drives.

Yes!
That was what I asked: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/post-916447
Is it possible to script the logic of trigger to detect attached USB drives and do the mounting after a router is rebooted or not?
This is the question, but, yes, I like this idea of scripting - it might be useful in such cases of "bad" OS released by Asus that cause the issue with detecting/mounting USB drives.
Try this: Reboot your router so that the problem is present (i.e. the drive has not been automatically mounted). Then SSH into the router and issue the following command and wait for it to complete.
Code:
hotplug2

Now check whether the drive is mounted. If it is you might be able to use that command in an init-start or services-start script.

Last edited:
Try this: Reboot your router so that the problem is present (i.e. the drive has not been automatically mounted). Then SSH into the router and issue the following command and wait for it to complete.
Code:
hotplug2

Now check whether the drive is mounted. If it is you might be able to use that command in an init-start or services-start script.
GUI shows No Device :-(
Output of the command:

1721145754958.png

I'll not add nothing to it then. If you want to ignore the final and most powerful diagnostic tool there is......
It wasn't that I didn't want to hear more advice. What I meant was that advice such as "reset and set everything up again" repeated every now and then does not bring anything.

Yes!
Without a second USB port on the RT-AX88U Pro to test with one is sort of stuck, if it is in fact a hardware issue with that specific router as thelonelycoder suggests in the other thread.

Another troubleshooting suggestion, not sure if mentioned or if you have tried it; what about putting a USB hub (powered and or unpowered, try both if you can) between the USB enclosure and the router's single USB port? Or try a powered USB enclosure as another troubleshooting step.

Another throwing stuff at the wall suggestion. Not sure I saw it asked or mentioned; but does the same thing happen if you power the router off (i.e. physically remove power from the router) and then power it back on, verses a reboot where power is maintained to the router?

There could be an oddball issue with the router's USB port hardware itself and not the firmware.

Without a second USB port on the RT-AX88U Pro to test with one is sort of stuck, if it is in fact a hardware issue with that specific router as thelonelycoder suggests in the other thread.

Another troubleshooting suggestion, not sure if mentioned or if you have tried it; what about putting a USB hub (powered and or unpowered, try both if you can) between the USB enclosure and the router's single USB port? Or try a powered USB enclosure as another troubleshooting step.

Another throwing stuff at the wall suggestion. Not sure I saw it asked or mentioned; but does the same thing happen if you power the router off (i.e. physically remove power from the router) and then power it back on, verses a reboot where power is maintained to the router?

There could be an oddball issue with the router's USB port hardware itself and not the firmware.
I don't have a closure with power so can't test. Of course I could buy such enclosure but it would be 3rd device that I would need to buy just to confirm or deny the issue is with my router's USB port (hardware problem) or with AsusWRT-Merlin.

I did the second suggested test: I powered off router, then I made a pause of 5 minutes waiting before powering on.
Result was the same.

I still don't understand why it might be a hardware issue since @octopus and @Darek also confirmed the same issue with their GT-AX6000.

Therefore: can I ask someone who has the RT-AX88U Pro to check and report here if encountering the same problem with SSD drive in enclosure not being automatically detected after the router's reboot is completed? It is important to run the latest version of AsusWRT-Merlin 3004.388.7.

A datapoint on a different Asus router. A RT-AX86U Pro running 3004.388.7 properly mounts a USB 3.0 hard drive after router reboot (via the reboot button in GUI). Ran two quick tests using different drives in two generic Orico USB 3.0 2.5 inch drive enclosures. First was a PNY SSD formatted for NTFS. Second was a Hitachi HDD formatted for NTFS. Each was connected to USB 3.0 port on router. Pre and post reboot df's for both are attached.

As another test. Used amtm to format the hitachi hdd. Used amtm fd, 1 partition, ext4, enabled journaling, set label, then router rebooted and drive succesufully mounted post reboot. Went further and enabled dc (disk check) in amtm and then rebooted again. Again drive successfully mounted post reboot. Amtm dcl results:
Code:
Tue Jul 16 17:45:17 DST 2024 Waited 5s for NTP to sync date
Tue Jul 16 17:45:17 DST 2024 Probing 'ext4' on device /dev/sda1
Running disk check with command 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda1
hitachi: clean, 17/15269888 files, 1235625/61049000 blocks
Tue Jul 16 17:45:17 DST 2024 Disk check done on /dev/sda1
In all respects the USB drive (two different drives in different Orico enclosures) successfully mounted after repeated router reboot. Note: Each drive tested one at a time connected to router USB 3.0 port. Each drive was properly ejected using router GUI USB eject button.

Attachments

• pny_ssd_router_post_reboot.jpg
    pny_ssd_router_post_reboot.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 10
  • pny_ssd_router_pre_reboot.jpg
    pny_ssd_router_pre_reboot.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 9
  • hitachi_hdd_router_pre_reboot.jpg
    hitachi_hdd_router_pre_reboot.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 10
  • hitachi_hdd_router_post_reboot.jpg
    hitachi_hdd_router_post_reboot.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I don't have a closure with power so can't test. Of course I could buy such enclosure but it would be 3rd device that I would need to buy just to confirm or deny the issue is with my router's USB port (hardware problem) or with AsusWRT-Merlin.

I did the second suggested test: I powered off router, then I made a pause of 5 minutes waiting before powering on.
Result was the same.

I still don't understand why it might be a hardware issue since @octopus and @Darek also confirmed the same issue with their GT-AX6000.

Therefore: can I ask someone who has the RT-AX88U Pro to check and report here if encountering the same problem with SSD drive in enclosure not being automatically detected after the router's reboot is completed? It is important to run the latest version of AsusWRT-Merlin 3004.388.7.
I have an RT-AX88U Pro, running 388.7, many scripts, and have not had this issue. USB drive (Patriot Burst Elite 120GB SSD in an Orico USB 3.0 to SATA III enclosure) mounts without difficulty or manual intervention after reboot, and/or power cycle.

I have an RT-AX88U Pro, running 388.7, many scripts, and have not had this issue. USB drive (Patriot Burst Elite 120GB SSD in an Orico USB 3.0 to SATA III enclosure) mounts without difficulty or manual intervention after reboot, and/or power cycle.
OK, thanks for reporting your status.
Then it is something with my router.
I'm going to switch back to use SanDisk USB Pendrive 32GB as it "works" and I need to forget about USB SSD disk with enclosure.
Maybe it's a specific hardware problem with my router? Some detail like power not appearing on USB port fast enough? I don't know.

I have had all of those things..
- RT-AX88U Pro
- 3004.388.7 (But I currently run 3004.388.8_beta1)
- A 128Gb SSD drive in a £8.99 USB3 enclosure from Amazon.
And the SSD has never failed to mount on boot.

One thing I have, is the USB3 port is set to run in USB2 mode on the router.
I guess that's another thing to try.

- RT-AX88U Pro

Tested both modes.
Mentioned that in first post.

- RT-AX88U Pro

Actually, I also am avoiding USB 3.0, have mine set to 2, so maybe that's it??

worth a shot, it seems

Missed that on the original post 🤷‍♂️

i would try a different enclosure,

they have different chipsets and i have already suffered compatibility problems (for example in proxmox i was not able to mount an ssd drive with one enclosure (thinkpad stack) and yes with another one (UNITEK, wich is newer than the thinkpad stack, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GLL41MA?tag=snbforums-20).
I think linux includes the drivers for some and not for all or the drivers are more complete for ones than for others...

Please tell us how it went with the test

Result was the same.

I have an SSD in an enclosure attached to my RT-AX88U Pro, running the latest Merlin firmware and I can confirm that I don't have any problems with my SSD automatically mounting after rebooting the router. My SSD is a SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB Sata III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD mounted in a UGREEN 2.5 Inch Hard Drive Enclosure, 5Gbps SSD Enclosure, External USB 3.0 SATA HDD Caddy.

Here's the links for further information:

And this is how it looks on my system:
IMG_1861.JPG

Last edited:

they have different chipsets and i have already suffered compatibility problems (for example in proxmox i was not able to mount an ssd drive with one enclosure (thinkpad stack) and yes with another one (UNITEK, wich is newer than the thinkpad stack, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GLL41MA?tag=snbforums-20).
I think linux includes the drivers for some and not for all or the drivers are more complete for ones than for others...

also i have encountered this post, maybe your enclosure has the same structure:

I have a RT-AX88U (NOT Pro) and i can confirm that the older thinkpad stack enclosure did to me the same as you (meaning not being detected when reboot or restart) in both USB ports !

BUT the UNITEK enclosure worked OK !!!
Same LEXAR 240 GB SSD drive moved from one enclosure to the other.

I think you can solve this with $15/$25 USD.

I also catched something about external power... note that besides it was not used because was not needed to SSD drives: this UNITEK adapter HAS the option of adding external power (it comes with a DC adapter to "plug to the wall")

Hope this info helps !

cheers !

Just to buck the system... I've got a GT-AX6000 and don't have any issues with my SSD+Enclosure. It comes right up every time. This is what I'm rockin:

SSD: Samsung EVO 870, 256GB - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QBN5J9B/?tag=snbforums-20

Enclosure: Sabrent USB3/SATAIII - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NF6JQQ4/?tag=snbforums-20
(Plus, it's got a really pretty cool blue/red blinky light) ;)

Last edited:
Come on, factory reset when my goal was to replace one USB drive with another one?
And again: everything is absolutely fine when unplug and plug the cable when router is already rebooted and running.
It clearly says something is wrong withe the OS itself that it doesn't detect and mount the drive within boot sequence.
Especially that other guys here reporting it used to work with previous version of AsusWRT (or AsusWRT-Merlin)
I would rather say it's a bug in newest AsusWRT firmware which then had been "imported" into AsusWRT-Merlin.

just ignore those of the factory reset religion.

A Factory reset won't change the usb mounting behavior.

What may though is using an ssd which doesn't have a logical remap table bug (MX250) which can require a full power off, or one without issues with linux (870 does) and then like above noted, using a USB<>SATA bridge that is tested ok for use on Linux (Some JMI bridges require workarounds that may not be present in the more limited drivers included in the asus blob.

Jmicron bridges can have issues even on Windows own usb3 driver depending on firmware involved (on the bridge)

Noticed this issue when I switched from AX88U to AX88U Pro few months back.
Using an SSD have to remount the drive after firmware flash.

just ignore those of the factory reset religion.

A Factory reset won't change the usb mounting behavior.

What may though is using an ssd which doesn't have a logical remap table bug (MX250) which can require a full power off, or one without issues with linux (870 does) and then like above noted, using a USB<>SATA bridge that is tested ok for use on Linux (Some JMI bridges require workarounds that may not be present in the more limited drivers included in the asus blob.

Jmicron bridges can have issues even on Windows own usb3 driver depending on firmware involved (on the bridge)
+1 on this comment. I got burned with a jmicon controller on a 256GB SSD drive. My AC86U would not mount on boot, but was OK on hot plug. In my case the syslog did return an error. On research, the error was something about the drive not being fully powered up before the router scanned it during boot. Oddly, my AC68U was fine. Just the difference in boot speed between the routers, I guess.

These small drives are nice. They are compact and hide easily, but test them as soon as you get them in case you need to return them. Not all hardware is the same.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online