What's new

SSID Vlan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Boost4age

Occasional Visitor
I'm using a ASUS RT-AC68U which has firmware 3.0.0.4.376_1663 and i wanted to know if there is anyway to create vlan's on the this device?

I'm looking to create another SSID and place it on a separate vlan so I enabled telnet but i don't know what the syntax is to do the following

• Create another SSID
  • Create a new vlan
  • Place the new SSID on the newly created vlan

Is there some step by step guide anywhere?

Does not Guest Networks do what you want?

No the guest doesn't do what i need. I need an internal SSID which can access internal resources and i need an another SSID that can't access internal resources but can access the internet

Sounds like guest network to me?

No the Guest network is just another SSID which you can assign different wireless security on. I need to be able to segment the SSID's via vlans.

No the Guest network is just another SSID which you can assign different wireless security on. I need to be able to segment the SSID's via vlans.

Oh, you want more than one main wireless network on each band then?

Yes.

The Guest Network is not truly a guest network, real guest networks are segmented from the main wireless network. Currently the guest resides on the same network as the main SSID wireless network and can access internal resources which is what i don't want.

If you disable the intranet option in the guest network, then they are segmented.

If that doesn't work, you need a newer version of the firmware. If in any other mode than Router, then yes, it doesn't work.

The rt-ac68u is not my primary router, its setup in the wireless router operation mode. I have the access intranet option off on the guest ssid and i can still access internal resources. From what i can tell i'm running the newest version of code so, i don't get why the creators didn't add the ability to create / manage vlans via the GUI. It looks like it can be done via terminal buts its very confusing & time consuming

The rt-ac68u is not my primary router, its setup in the wireless router operation mode. I have the access intranet option off on the guest ssid and i can still access internal resources. From what i can tell i'm running the newest version of code so, i don't get why the creators didn't add the ability to create / manage vlans via the GUI. It looks like it can be done via terminal buts its very confusing & time consuming

And that is why Guest networks doesn't work to isolate clients from the intranet.

But, I agree with you. We need the ability to create and manage vlans via the gui. I'm sure one day we'll have it. Hopefully sooner rather than later.