What's new

Standalone VPN server throughput much lower going through RT-AX86U Pro than through old RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AndrewL733

Occasional Visitor
I have an EXTERNAL UBUNTU 24.02 VPN SERVER that is running Wireguard (along with Linux GRETAP) to create a Layer 2 bridge between two homes on both sides of the Atlantic ocean. The setup is almost identical in each house except on the USA side I have an RT-AC86U and on the Europe side I have an RT-AX86U Pro.

Before purchasing the RT-AX86U Pro, I was running a much older RT-AC68U on the Europe side and throughput between the two houses was about 175 Mbps. Because the AC68U was starting to freeze up from time to time, I decided to "upgrade" and get an RT-AX86U Pro. But since making the change, I am finding that VPN throughput has dropped to about 85-90 Mbps (roughly 1/2 of the former throughput).

The RT-AX86U pro is running the latest stock ASUS 3.0.0.6.102_34319 FW. The older RT-AC68U that I replaced was running Merlin 386_13_0. When I temporarily swapped the AC68U back in yesterday for a sanity check, I observed that throughput on the VPN went back to 175 Mbps, so it is definitely the new router that is implicated.

To be clear, the problem isn't general Internet throughput. I get the same 600 Mbps symmetrical performance in Europe with both the new and old routers. I get the sense that the newer RT-AX86U Pro is somehow throttling or slowing down the VPN traffic. I do not have any QoS enabled, nor do I have the firewall enabled. Does anybody have any clue whether this could be a configuration issue, or how to get the newer RT-AX86U Pro to let the VPN traffic flow properly?

I have asked this question to ASUS Support as well, but given my past experiences with them, I don't have much hope that they will come up with a solution.

For what it's worth, I have observed the same slowdown with ZeroTier (to test that, I disabled the WireGuard VPN and just measured throughput between two computers -- one in each home. With the older router on the Europe side, throughput is about 150 Mbps and with the new router it's about 75 Mbps -- so, again a reduction of about 50%). The problem is not WireGuard-specific.

I have not tried the new router with Merlin FW because the newest ASUS FW finally seems to have solved the Dual WAN issues -- it works reliably now, and I need it. The Merlin FW for the RT-AX86U Pro is still back on 3004_388; Merlin hasn't updated the FW for this router to 3.0.0.6 yet.

Andrew

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!