What's new

Static IP error (90+ IP's on a RT-AC88U with 382.1_2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davidstoll

Occasional Visitor
I have 90+ static IP's saved in:
LAN>DHCP Server>Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list (Max Limit : 128)

When I try to (edit and/or) APPLY the page, I get:
"Resulting list of DHCP reservations is too long - remove some, or use shorter names."

Unfortunately, I can't tell you when this started, but it was one of those things "I would get back to", but since then, I have updated the firmware a few times. I'm on 382.1_2 on my RT-AC88U.

All devices seem to work just fine, but I can't edit that page. Even if I delete a few, it will give me the error. I've used the linux NVRAM script to save the list as a text file and edit it that way, which seems to work fine to "restore" and save the new devices I want to add, so it's the only way to do it at this point.

I've looked for funny characters, but other than letters and numbers (that it might allow entry but then subsequently not like), the only other characters in the names that I have used are underscores and dashes ( _ and -). The longest hostname is 24 characters. Maybe the limit isn't actually 128 static hostnames?

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Ok, I believe you that it is a known issue. However, I did search. There is other noise surrounding the issues that I found and it didn't sound like exactly what I had. In some cases they said they "solved" it, but maybe they didn't or maybe it was in fact unrelated. No need to be snarky.

Some of them talk about longer lists, but I thought that had to do with the 128 entry limit. I can take a guess now that it isn't, but that's how I read it. They wanted to increase the length, so I was thinking 256 entries (for instance), not the extra characters. "...larger lists support for some specific settings such as DHCP static lieases..." Could easily be read as longer than 128 entries, so I didn't think it was related.

Another talks about "the platform has a hard limit of 1000 characters per settings". The factory firmware allows for 64 entries (as far as I know). MAC length is 17, IP length is about 12. (17+12)*64=1088 That doesn't even leave room for a name, so I actually did that calculation and based on that, it didn't make any sense that I was reading the 1000 characters limit the correct way.

I was able to make it work through the NVRAM script, but maybe I shouldn't be. I have always been over the 1000 character limit because I had to enter things manually at first, so I figured it was a simple GUI thing that could be addressed because I believe it was working before.

So, hopefully you can see why I was not connecting my issue with those, but I guess I am wrong, so I apologize.

Sorry to have bothered you, let's keep it friendly.

I apologise for causing offence, that was not my intention. As I don't run your firmware version I thought it best that you search the other posts yourself rather than me saying something that was incorrect or out of date.

That said, from what I read in those other posts your problem was fixed in firmware version 382.2 when they increased the limit from 1000 to 2500.

2500 is better, but if I add up only the MAC (17 characters) and IP (12-ish), and if I don't name anything, I can only get about 86 entries. I know this isn't your fault or anything, but 2500 is still not anywhere close enough to cover 128 hostname entries (or more than 86 for that matter) even without naming them. Clearly, there must be a memory issue that is holding this number back, but the numbers just don't add up to be in the ballpark.

128 entries with no names (which would be silly) = 3712 characters

At 128 entries with names, you would need 5248 characters total if you assume an average length of 12 characters for the names. Maybe that's crazy, but that's what the numbers say. (17+12+12)*128 = 5248

This also assumes there aren't any formatting characters, like a delimiter between the fields or something.

Yes I think you are correct. Assuming the NVRAM format hasn't changed and assuming hostnames of about 8 characters, then that only gives you the low 60's for the maximum number of entries.

For those still looking for some answers. unfortunately not a solution, the limit seems to be 72 entries in the GUI.
My format is...
MAC @ 17 Chars ie XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
IP @ 15 Chars ie XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Name @ 8 Chars ie XXXXXXXX
Total of 40 Chars per entry for a total of somewhere around 2880 max characters in static DHCP list.

If I remove the zeroes from the IP I can get more entries. This GUI issue does seem to be character limited and not address limited. You can gain more entries by cutting as many excess characters as you can from the IP and name fields.

I'm using a similar solution to @ColinTaylor to get around this limitation.

For those still looking for some answers. unfortunately not a solution, the limit seems to be 72 entries in the GUI.
My format is...
MAC @ 17 Chars ie XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
IP @ 15 Chars ie XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Name @ 8 Chars ie XXXXXXXX
Total of 40 Chars per entry for a total of somewhere around 2880 max characters in static DHCP list.

If I remove the zeroes from the IP I can get more entries. This GUI issue does seem to be character limited and not address limited. You can gain more entries by cutting as many excess characters as you can from the IP and name fields.

I'm using a similar solution to @ColinTaylor to get around this limitation.
Character limit is 2999 characters.

You can move dhcp lease reservations to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add to get around the size limit. I have a script that will do it for you.

Code:
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Xentrk/Asuswrt-Merlin-Linux-Shell-Scripts/master/dhcpstaticlist.sh -o /jffs/scripts/dhcpstaticlist.sh && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/dhcpstaticlist.sh

upload_2019-6-29_18-40-28.png

During my search in the late hours of the night - i found a utility that allowed me to manually assign ip beyond the current 64 limit. Under LAN > DHCP SERVER it also added the option to export the dhcp list to a CSV format. Today when i woke up - i found that i did not have that feature and the page shows 64 limit. I am sure i have more than that and my IPs are assigned. What can be the issues ? Can anyone point me back to that script that i installed via Putty ?

Thanks in advance

Was that the YazDHCP utility by @Jack Yaz? :)

You can always see your past posts by clicking on your post count to see where you've been. :)