What's new

Suddenly can't reach my RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DallasFlier

Occasional Visitor
Just walked in and sat down at my computer, and things were strange. Had a browser open with multiple tabs, and when I tried to refresh a tab, it instead went to the router page (which did come up). Rebooted the router and the computer, and now my internet access is ok, all web pages seem to be reachable without it redirecting to the router, but when I try to load 192.168.1.1 all I get is a message in large type:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

Any ideas on what has happened or how to get it working again? (ipconfig verifies that the gateway IP is still 192.168.1.1) Running the latest Merlin release, updated about 24 hours ago.

Hmm, that changed the error - now I get:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.1.

But I can still ping 192.168.1.1 and that address still shows as the gateway.

For Firefox....

Tools-> Options -> Advance -> Network -> "The following websites are allowed to store data for offline use" dialog. Remove the entry for the router.

For Firefox....

Tools-> Options -> Advance -> Network -> "The following websites are allowed to store data for offline use" dialog. Remove the entry for the router.

Did that already... That's when the error message changed, and Firefox now reports:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.1.

FWIW, I've now also tried to connect to the router with Chrome and IE 11 also - no go in any of the 3 browsers.

Also will not connect via my Android phone with Firefox either...

Very strange...

Also will not connect via my Android phone with Firefox either...

Very strange...

I have seen this before on my RT-N56U (now replaced with RT-AC87U), a router reboot usually solves the login issue.

Telnet usually worked though, so you can telnet and reboot from there too.

I have seen this before on my RT-N56U (now replaced with RT-AC87U), a router reboot usually solves the login issue.

Telnet usually worked though, so you can telnet and reboot from there too.
Hmm... I had done a full unplug/power down previously, and that didn't solve the problem. But just went and did it again, left the power unplugged for about a minute, and that brought it back. Very strange...

Also, while trying to connect, I did an "ipconfig /all" on this Win 7 machine, and it shows an IPv6 connection, but the router has blank fields for LAN IPv6 Address, LAN Prefix Length and LAN IPv6 Prefix.

Specifically, the computer ipconfig shows:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d4fd:b59:ded8:c09a%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.32(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 246983791
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1C-14-30-0E-B8-AC-6F-36-70-0E
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

I'm far from an expert with IPv6, but how does one reconcile the client adapter getting IPv6 addresses, without anything showing as IPv6 connection in the router GUI?

Hmm... I had done a full unplug/power down previously, and that didn't solve the problem. But just went and did it again, left the power unplugged for about a minute, and that brought it back. Very strange...

Also, while trying to connect, I did an "ipconfig /all" on this Win 7 machine, and it shows an IPv6 connection, but the router has blank fields for LAN IPv6 Address, LAN Prefix Length and LAN IPv6 Prefix.

Specifically, the computer ipconfig shows:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d4fd:b59:ded8:c09a%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.32(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 246983791
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1C-14-30-0E-B8-AC-6F-36-70-0E
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

I'm far from an expert with IPv6, but how does one reconcile the client adapter getting IPv6 addresses, without anything showing as IPv6 connection in the router GUI?

That's a link-local IP. It's not allocated by the router, but automatically self-allocated by your PC.

That's a link-local IP. It's not allocated by the router, but automatically self-allocated by your PC.
Thanks Merlin - as I said, haven't really studied IPv6 much yet - guess I proved that! :)

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

Any ideas on what has happened or how to get it working again? (ipconfig verifies that the gateway IP is still 192.168.1.1) Running the latest Merlin release, updated about 24 hours ago.

I have seen this issue as well when I was using the stock ASUS firmware. It would happen constantly and no one was connected to it changing any settings. But it seems to have gone away when I switched to the Merlin firmware. I was using ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.376.3626 and now using 376.49_2. No idea if this was fixed by Merlin or due to the newer ASUS codebase merged into 376.49_x. It was so annoying how bad it was.