What's new

Suggestion for buying a home router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sir Patriot

Regular Contributor
Hi friends
I am planning to buy a wireless router for my home but I am a little confused in terms of their real speed.
My home is including 2 laptops and a TV and 2 Cellphones and a tablet and printer and the most important one which is an external HDD that I want to share its data through my home network with the highest possible speed.
I was planning to buy Asus RT-AC68U but I have read some reviews and they were mentioning its maximum speed for sharing an external HDD data is something around 20-25MB/s which is too low and for Linksys WRT1900AC is around 40-80MB/s which is much better but I do not like its design and I am not sure about its capabilities compare to ASUS.
Meanwhile as I said the most important things for me is the transfer rate for sharing external HDD for one device. Is there any cheaper device with better transfer rate?
Thanks

I have been using Huawei E5186 and the signal strength is very impressive.My modem is upstairs, while the USB wifi adapter (connected to my PC) is downstairs,and the signal strength is still relatively strong. it support 64 Wi-Fi devices to enter int o the mobile network at one time. :):):)

I have been using Huawei E5186 and the signal strength is very impressive.My modem is upstairs, while the USB wifi adapter (connected to my PC) is downstairs,and the signal strength is still relatively strong. it support 64 Wi-Fi devices to enter int o the mobile network at one time. :):):)

I do not care about how many system can be connected. most of the times 1 or maximum 2 devices are connected to the router but I need high transfer rate between my external HDD and the connected device via my wireless router.

NETGEAR R7000 Nighthawk is next best for USB 3.0 reads. Remember your speed will be limited by the wireless connection, most likely to below 12 MB/s (100 Mbps).

The published test speeds are for a Gigabit Ethernet wired client.

NETGEAR R7000 Nighthawk is next best for USB 3.0 reads. Remember your speed will be limited by the wireless connection, most likely to below 12 MB/s (100 Mbps).

The published test speeds are for a Gigabit Ethernet wired client.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2143623/linksys-wrt1900ac-wi-fi-router-review-faster-than-anything-we-ve-tested.html

wrt1900ac_usbharddrive_benc-100262010-orig.png

But in this test they are testing the router by wireless. Testing with LAN make no sense while I can connect external HDD to my device with faster transfer rate.

A good AC connection can do better than that though. I see around 50MB/sec same room transfers with an Intel 7260ac to my router on 5GHz. Though external storage on the router can't support that.

If you are truely looking for the fastest speeds possible and might have some wired clients now or at some point, or a router that can really support fast wireless connections, I'd recommend getting a NAS for your storage. Most routers just don't cut the mustard on high speed network connected storage.

The storage results you are linkin to are a WIRED test. If you look at their wireless tests, the router with the adapter they were using capped out around 460Mbps...which is well below the storage tests they posted. So unless magic, the storage tests would have had to of been conducted using wired testing.

As for performance of LAN transfers versus WLAN...well, its certainly up to you. It is a convenience thing to leave the storage always on the network and certainly makes it unavailable temporarily if you are disconnecting it and plugging it on to a machine and then going to plug it back in to the router.

With a decent NAS and either internal storage or plugging a USB3 hard drive in, to a wired client, you are probably getting in the range of 80-100MB/sec performance, which is darned near what you'll get out of most 2.5" USB3 hard disks.

I'll emphasis, if you are looking for the BEST storage performance you can get on a network, go with a NAS (or dedicated file server). If you are looking for the best router based storage performance, the Linksys 1900AC is pretty much the way to go. The Netgear R7000 is second to that and in most cases will probably exceed what most wireless clients can actually muster.

I am looking for a wireless network and wired network is out of the table because I need may data on my tablet and phone and I am not using my laptop in a certain place.
If these results are from a wired network what will be the result from these routers to a tablet with AC wireless and a laptop with N wireless?
I am not familiar with NAS. Do you thinks that would be good for me? can you explain how it works?
Meanwhile ASUS router has an option to get a download link or a torrent file and it will download the file into the external HDD without any extra device which is really good to me and I do not know other routers have this option or not?

A NAS is network attached storage. It generally refers to an appliance that can host from 1-6 disks, is easy to setup and manage and generally has 1-2 USB2 and these days 1-2 USB3 ports for external storage to be hooked up. Its fast and easy setup to get your storage on your network.

If you want wireless access, attach the NAS to your router through a network cable and now you can access it through wired and wireless clients.

For performance, YMMV.

What adapters are they, what routers are we talking, what kind of construction is your domicile, what kind of neighboring wireless networks do you have.

What kind of tablet is it? Since tablet and 11ac, I am assuming it is a 1:1 adapter. With a decent 11ac router, over wireless I'd expect you to probably cap out around 20MB/sec at best. Depending on the storage system on the tablet, it might be slower than that (most tablets have very slow eMMC storage). A lot of wireless adapters in tablets are also connected over the SDIO bus, which is limited to 100Mbps, so even if the adapter could do faster, you are looking at a hard and fast limit of around 80-90Mbps realistically (or around 10-11MB/sec).

Phone, figure slower.

Laptop, can it do 5GHz? Is it a 1:1? 2:2? 3:3? Results will vary. A 2.4GHz 1:1 adapter with 20MHz channel width is probably only going to hit 30Mbps or 3.5MB/sec with a tail wind. Worse if you have a lot of neighboring networks. With a really nice 3:3 adapter on 5GHz same room and an excellent router than can support 3:3 you might get 300Mbps or 35MB/sec.

Same room mind you.

I have an AWESOME setup for wireless. I can get around 20-25MB/sec to my laptop on 2.4GHz depending on if it is my router or AP I am connecting to (if both are set to 40MHz, which I don't actually do with both) same room. Move around a little and it drops a bit, but the worst place in my house on 2.4GHz if I set 40MHz channel widths with my laptop is around 15MB/sec. The way I normally have it setup for 20MHz on my router and 40MHz on my AP means realistically the worst performance is around 9MB/sec on 2.4GHz on my laptop. 5GHz performance varies a lot more as my router is an AC1750 and my AP is an N600. Same room with the AP it is 25MB/sec, one room over it drops to 10-15MB/sec (I have a big old chimney in the way). With my router it can be >50MB/sec same room, move a room away and it is still generally over 40MB/sec. Move a couple of rooms over and we are talking mid-high 20's, much further and I lose 5GHz connection entirely.

On my tablet which is N300 (2.4/5GHz, so just 150Mbps each) it can do around 10MB/sec on 2.4GHz 40MHz and a little slower on 5GHz 40MHz (about 9.5MB/sec). I get those kinds of speeds over most of my house, but the worst performance is down around 5MB/sec when connected in the worst location on 2.4GHz 20MHz. Phone is a little slower at around 3-6MB/sec depending on where I am connected in my house.

If I bother to wire my laptop in I get ~114MB/sec both ways at the same time to my file server. If I sit at my desktop I get ~235MB/sec both ways at the same time from dual NICs and SMB multichannel (sigh, if only my disk array could actually support that performance though, its unidirectional ~235MB/sec, otherwise performance falls off a cliff if trying to do reads and writes at full speed, about 100-140MB/sec read AND write concurrently with big sequential transfers, don't ask on small I/O, they are spinning disks).

For options, look at the features of other routers. Its called research. Some do support download/torrent servers on their routers. Not a lot, but a few others do. All Synology and QNAP NAS have download/torrent servers to the best of my knowledge. As well as a lot of other features.

I am looking for a wireless network and wired network is out of the table because I need may data on my tablet and phone and I am not using my laptop in a certain place.
If these results are from a wired network what will be the result from these routers to a tablet with AC wireless and a laptop with N wireless?
We test each router function separately. Routing is tested on a local LAN with wired clients. Wireless is tested from wired client to a standard wireless client. Storage performance is tested from Gigabit wired client. This is the only way that true performance can be measured, without other factors affecting the quantity you are trying to measure.

Wireless connection performance is usually the limiting factor when dealing with file transfer throughput. With tablets and phones, speeds are very limited because they use the slowest adapters.

Using a NAS doesn't help. The wireless connection will be the limiting factor in file transfer or streaming throughput.

Thanks guy for the information. What I understood is the main problem is my device and limitation in terms of the speed of wireless.
So in this situation one question come to my mind. Is there any difference between these two wireless router in terms of transfer rate?

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC56U/

If most of devices wont support anything more than wireless N300 or AC867 so is that right that I will get same speed with these two router?

Within probably a 20% fudge factor, I'd say yes.

Not all clients and not all routers are made the same. My old Netgear 3500L with 2.4GHz 40MHz with my Intel 7260ac in the same laptop using the same drivers and windows 8.1 could handle about 21MB/sec. Switching to a WDR3600 and otherwise an identical setup and location (6ft, LoS to router) and my speeds jumped to 23MB/sec. I've tested using an AC1750 router and otherwise identical test conditions, speeds are at 26MB/sec.

So the router can matter, even if using the exact same client and exact same testing scenario.

However, from best to worst you are looking at roughly a 20% difference from a several years old router to one that is only a few months old.

Considering the two Asus routers, you are probably looking at more like a 10% difference. At least close to the router.

At a distance things like signal strength and attenuation and signal processing are going to matter more and more and there might be a larger difference.

Or there might be nearly no difference.

I'd personally go with the cheaper router in this case as it is unlikely any real differences would be noticable or more than 10%.

Another question.
How can I see the detail of my laptop or phone or tablet wireless or any other ones because usually their company does not provide many detail about wireless network.

If windows, go to control panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing center -> Change adapter settings. See what it says your adapter is. Then look it up with Google. If it is Android, dunno. You can probably look up the information on your specific device by doing a little search engine leg work.

This is my wifi
AR9002WB-1NGCD - Qualcomm Atheros, Inc.
Apparently my wifi has 1 stream and maximum speed of 150Mb/s. So I think the cheaper router should be quiet enough for it.
What is the normal range of maximum speed in laptop wirelesses? Do we have a laptop with wireless N450 or N600? (because the maximum that I saw is 300Mb/s)

Do you mean how fast is the fastest wireless card in a laptop? There are a small handful of AC1750 cards out there, which translates to 1300Mbps maximum link rate. I don't know that there are any shipping laptops with cards that fast, just a tiny number of "aftermarket" cards.

The standard fastest is going to be an AC1200 card, which is 867Mbps maximum link rate on 5GHz 11ac and 300Mbps with 2.4GHz 11n.

A typical laptop card ranges from N150 to N600, pretty much either 1:1 or 2:2 2.4GHz or sometimes dual band with 5GHz support too.

It just runs the gamut.

I have an Intel 7260ac card in my laptop, it is AC1200 (actually, probably a bad name because it is not concurrent dual band), so maximum 867Mbps link rate. I get just about exactly half that with a good connection same room, about 420-430Mbps from my AC1750 router and around 380Mbps to my router.

By comparison, my lowly Intel 1000 card was/is N150 only and swapping it in to my current laptop for a test, it maxed out at around 70Mbps on 2.4GHz 40MHz (though not with my current router, back on my old Netgear 3500L).

That is one of my problems. I am planning to buy a laptop too but most of them do not support AC wireless standard and I do not like to connect a wireless receiver to my laptop either. (Even in size of a flash drive)

That is one of my problems. I am planning to buy a laptop too but most of them do not support AC wireless standard and I do not like to connect a wireless receiver to my laptop either. (Even in size of a flash drive)

You could buy a client bridge and connect it to the ethernet port of the laptop.

But does 11ac on that laptop by any means really have a good cost/benefit?

stevech asks the relevant question...why do you need AC?

If you're not moving large files on a frequent basis, N will be plenty good enough...

Hi friends
I am planning to buy a wireless router for my home but I am a little confused in terms of their real speed.
My home is including 2 laptops and a TV and 2 Cellphones and a tablet and printer and the most important one which is an external HDD that I want to share its data through my home network with the highest possible speed.
I was planning to buy Asus RT-AC68U but I have read some reviews and they were mentioning its maximum speed for sharing an external HDD data is something around 20-25MB/s which is too low and for Linksys WRT1900AC is around 40-80MB/s which is much better but I do not like its design and I am not sure about its capabilities compare to ASUS.
Meanwhile as I said the most important things for me is the transfer rate for sharing external HDD for one device. Is there any cheaper device with better transfer rate?
Thanks
In the wireless device I trust Huawei's products more, its quality can be good, I am using the Huawei e8278 now,it is his new product,the coverage is about 100 meters, supporting power adapter, supports 10 devices, I think he is very fit home Network.