What's new

Suggestions for Home network upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vh57

New Around Here
I have a Checkpoint Soho router that has a DMZ interface, VPN and 802.11g (2.4 GHZ) and I can't/won't update the software. I have an old Linksys in the DMZ that my kids connect to and the router controls time of access and provides DHCP with OpenDNS to control content.

I'd like to increase my Wifi speed, add guest access, and have additional control of the kids access times. Currently the hours are sent for 7 days a week and there is no way to provide different hours for the weekend.

I'm testing an ASUS rt-ac66r. I was hoping to simplify my network but I'm not finding it to be a replacement for all of the above.

Any suggestions?

first, do you need/use VPN at the router level, rather than no VPN or VPN using a PC client?

I occasionally use the builtin ipsec clients on Windows systems, phones and tablets.

most all WiFi routers have VPN pass-through. I thought you wanted a router than terminated a VPN connection - such as branch offices often do.

I didn't answer you question very well. I do use the router to terminate VPN. That is how I make my VPN connections to my home network. Whether I actually need it is a question I struggle with. I'm not sure how badly I'd miss it when its gone.