What's new

Suggestions: N300 class, or should I pay more for better if I don't have the speed for it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilverTelperion

New Around Here
I read up the FAQs and Router Ranking pages, and appreciate the divisions into classes to help potential buyers. However, I'm still considering the whole "you get what you pay for" thing; basically, do I really need to pay close to $100 or more for a router, if my connection is 15Mbps/1Mbps and unlikely to change significantly any time soon?

I'm coming from an eight month old TP-Link TL-WR841N. I know that's a very cheap router, but I figured I had pretty low requirements and went by its popularity and reviews on Amazon.

Fast forward to lately, where it drops all wireless connections literally everyday, and must be restarted daily. I reset it to factory settings many many times, played around with channels (although there aren't many interfering signals around) and 20/40MHz bandwidths, even flashed OpenWRT recently. Nothing worked. A wired PC to the same router never drops connection.

The only real use I will have for it is as a wireless access point, while connected to the ISP non-wireless modem.
Wireless connections in the house generally consist of 4 smartphones, two laptops, and a PS3.
I need coverage over approximately two stories of a 60x25 foot concrete house.

Basically I need solid reliability, not features or speed.

So my question is: should I simply go with the best rated N300 class router, or splurge more on a higher class one, knowing I will never make use of those connection speeds?

Thanks!

At this point, unless you are REALLY budget challenged, the minimum entry point should be AC1200 class.

An AC router will improve throughput of the devices you have, as shown here.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance

With a concrete structure, 5 GHz range will be a challenge for two stories. So locate the router as centrally as possible to the area you want to cover.

I read up the FAQs and Router Ranking pages, and appreciate the divisions into classes to help potential buyers. However, I'm still considering the whole "you get what you pay for" thing; basically, do I really need to pay close to $100 or more for a router, if my connection is 15Mbps/1Mbps and unlikely to change significantly any time soon?

I'm coming from an eight month old TP-Link TL-WR841N. I know that's a very cheap router, but I figured I had pretty low requirements and went by its popularity and reviews on Amazon.

Fast forward to lately, where it drops all wireless connections literally everyday, and must be restarted daily. I reset it to factory settings many many times, played around with channels (although there aren't many interfering signals around) and 20/40MHz bandwidths, even flashed OpenWRT recently. Nothing worked. A wired PC to the same router never drops connection.

The only real use I will have for it is as a wireless access point, while connected to the ISP non-wireless modem.
Wireless connections in the house generally consist of 4 smartphones, two laptops, and a PS3.
I need coverage over approximately two stories of a 60x25 foot concrete house.

Basically I need solid reliability, not features or speed.

So my question is: should I simply go with the best rated N300 class router, or splurge more on a higher class one, knowing I will never make use of those connection speeds?

Thanks!

What version is your 841N? If it's lower than version 9 get rid of it. Version 9 to 11 now have a 600MHz processor. I have 2 841N's in my network version's 9 and they work great. Like Tim stated this late in the game you may want to go with an AC1200 router which there are some out there for less than $100.00.

It's version 9, but unfortunately it's completely unreliable, before and after flashing OpenWRT.

I'll probably be getting the Archer C5.

For a 15/1 line, moderate wireless load and 3K square feet, most medium-power all-in-ones running competent firmware should suffice. And you don't necessarily need to go AC either. On the cheap, a $50 TP-Link WDR3600 running OpenWRT with luci-app-sqm installed for codel-based QoS should do nicely. You can go pricier if you want to, but not necessary just to have enough CPU, radio power and feature set to cover your needs. :)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online