What's new

Synolog DS212j, which RAID Volume style?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sasquatch

New Around Here
I just got a DS212j and by default it selected the SHR hybrid RAID. I have (2) 2TB drives installed. I just want to make sure these are RAID1 so if 1 drive fails I have another.

Do I need to switch this to RAID1 or leave it SHR?

Thanks

I just got a DS212j and by default it selected the SHR hybrid RAID. I have (2) 2TB drives installed. I just want to make sure these are RAID1 so if 1 drive fails I have another.

Do I need to switch this to RAID1 or leave it SHR?

Thanks

Either will work. Read Synology's discussion of the merits of each.
Remember that RAID (and SHR) is not a backup.
I elected to config. my DS212 with each drive as a separate volume; no RAID/SHR. I then use the DSM software automatic backup to duplicate drive 1 to drive 2. My preference is to do it this way, because I don't need super high performance and if one drive fails or one drive's file system gets corrupted, the other drive is totally independent, with a separate file system.

But with RAID1 or SHR, be sure to have a disciplined backup strategy to an external drive via USB or eSATA or iSCSI/rSynch.

I understand it's not a backup device. However, I have 2 DS212j. Both with 2 drives. One unit will be setup to hold data and Rsync to the other unit.

well, with rSync reliably running every x hours, then maybe RAID1 is best. SHR does, they say, simplify migrating the pair to a larger disk in the future. It may be that SHR is like a parity drive form of RAID, so there is some small speed disadvantage.