What's new

Syslog on jffs ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anorneto

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

I just found out that i have syslog.log and syslog.log-1 files on my /jffs partition. Is this normal? If not, how can I stop it? I have 0 knowledge of where is the syslog config files and how to change it.

Thanks for the help!

Hello everyone,

I just found out that i have syslog.log and syslog.log-1 files on my /jffs partition. Is this normal? If not, how can I stop it? I have 0 knowledge of where is the syslog config files and how to change it.

Thanks for the help!

-1 is the older file, that got rotated when it got too long.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the help!

If you're only concerned about the durability of flash, creating directory will prevent the file from being updated:

rm -f syslog.log syslog.log-1
mkdir syslog.log syslog.log-1

Is syslog written to jffs as per default out-of-the-box? Isnt that kind of bad for life-expectancy?

Is syslog written to jffs as per default out-of-the-box? Isnt that kind of bad for life-expectancy?
No. This has been discussed elsewhere on these forums. The memory device used has a high write-lifetime unlike devices in the past.